Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Use of Parking brake

My wife recently went through a day of driver training so that she would feel more secure when driving our diesel pusher. The instructor told the class of 8 that for a controlled, safe stop, they should pull out the parking brake knob. I’ve driven 45 foot tour buses and trained drivers for a number of years, and was surprised at this. To my knowledge, that parking brake, powered by air or springs in case of air loss, is only applied when securing the parked coach, and should also be applied as part of a brake test, but only at very slow speeds and only to insure that those brakes function correctly. For a safe controlled stop, I would recommend what we call “feather braking” with the service (foot) brake - gentle but firm application and easing up just before coming to a stand still. Applying the parking brake at anything faster than a walking speed is not a controlled stop and dangerous in my opinion. Comments?
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't drive DP's, but regardless, it seems a follow-up question direct to the instructor is in order to find out exactly what was communicated and the intent. I'm sure you will get lots of nods to your post on here, but you know the source and need to address your question directly to him/her.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

Parking brake is just that. You set it after you have stopped, not before.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

I'd be interested in the instructor's rational if he did indeed say to apply the parking brake when traveling at speed for a controlled stop. It goes contrary to everything that I've ever been taught or heard . . . . but I could be wrong!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Your correct, her instructor is badly mistaken.

The parking brake chamber has a spring that, when applied, uses around 3000lbs of braking force all at once, the very instant the knob is pulled....
If you pull that yellow knob out with coach in motion, it'll do more than embarrass you.

I don't recommend anyone try it, but knowing this site, someone will pipe in stating they do it all the time & works perfect....ha-ha
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

The yellow parking brake knob is for just that; parking. That is in no way way how to stop a air brake vehicle. It is only used in an emergency if the air pressure has dropped to a dangerous level. I have driven air brake vehicles for years and that instructor needs to re teach that part of the course. As you have described, a firm push on the brake initially and a feathering as you come to a stop. After you are stopped then you can pull the yellow knob to set the parking brake. I hope someone corrects this instructor before he teaches someone something that will cause harm.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I'd be interested in the instructor's rational if he did indeed say to apply the parking brake when traveling at speed for a controlled stop. It goes contrary to everything that I've ever been taught or heard . . . . but I could be wrong!
You are not wrong. Had a commercial Class 'A" drivers license for 25+ years. Never was taught or never heard of setting the parking brake while still moving on any type of vehicle air brakes or not.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
...If you pull that yellow knob out with coach in motion, it'll do more than embarrass you...

No it won’t.

I have purposely applied the parking brake at 50mph, so I would know what to expect if the air ever fails. The brake brought me to a nice, controlled stop, just a bit quicker than I would normally stop. I’ll grant you that the final stop was a bit rougher than normal because you can’t feather this brake as you would with the service brake, but overall it was a non-event.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
No it won’t.

I have purposely applied the parking brake at 50mph, so I would know what to expect if the air ever fails. The brake brought me to a nice, controlled stop, just a bit quicker than I would normally stop. I’ll grant you that the final stop was a bit rougher than normal because you can’t feather this brake as you would with the service brake, but overall it was a non-event.
Good info to know! Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
It may do a fast stop but not screeching halt but I in 25 years of major company trucking have I ever heard to "pull it while moving" short of ant all out emergency! Perhaps you or the DW misunderstood the context ?
Pulling it will release the air holding the spring brakes and engage them.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

You can release spring brakes with as little as 60 PSI of air.

Knowing that, the springs can only apply the equivalent of 60 psi of air pressure to the brakes.

That will give you a controlled safe, fairly rapid, stop. Been there done that many, many times.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #12

This is a seriously bad idea. On a slippery road setting the rear brakes may result in the back of the coach sliding sideways by locking up and losing directional stability.
Worse, the front wheels are still rolling so the back end sliding down the crown of the road means the coach turns left.
Even worse, pulling out the parking brake doesn't activate the ABS. If a wheel locks it stays locked.
Hopefully she misunderstood the instructor. Otherwise, that person needs some retraining. Soon.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

Good information to know for emergencies. Things like a total air tank blowout where you don't think there will be enough air to stop, having hart attack where you may not be able to stay on the brake to the end, etc. .I would guess the intended context of the instruction at the time was a bit misunderstood.

For someone traveling behind, would the brake lights come on if the park brake is applied while moving? Would be quite a sudden stop without warning.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
You are not wrong. Had a commercial Class 'A" drivers license for 25+ years. Never was taught or never heard of setting the parking brake while still moving on any type of vehicle air brakes or not.
I agree! You pull that yellow knob at speed and you're in a world of hurt! I tried it at about10 mph once. I thought the cab was gonna chatter right off chassis!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake