Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #1

Any reason I should not use the generator on my motorhome to power two fridges and the furnace blower during a blackout? My RV generator is 5500 watts Generac. I would just plug in to the outside outlets on the side of the motorhome.
TallPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #2

Any reason I should not use the generator on my motorhome to power two fridges and the furnace blower during a blackout? My RV generator is 5500 watts Generac. I would just plug in to the outside outlets on the side of the motorhome.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 AM   #3

No reason not to. You will find that the outside outlets don't allow more than a 15amp load and are connected to a GFCI inside the coach. A better answer is to put an outlet in the generator compartment connected directly to the gereator output and use a 30 amp RV extension cord to feed power to a breakout box inside the house. If you are really ambitious you can have an electrician install a transfer switch to power only certain circuits in the event of a power outage.
You can also backfeed the breaker panel but it's a dangerous practice. If not done right it can energize the main lines outside the home and possibly fry a worker trying to fix the lines.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #4

Well, my past practice is to run two extension cords into the house and physically plug the fridges into them (and a couple of lamps). Haven't had to run the furnace yet. Most blackouts are summer during T-storms or high energy use from air cons.

Have a 3000 watt (peak) Winco generator that would not start the gas dryer. Motor on dryer must have a huge start up draw. Winco too noisy and where to keep it? Limited fuel tank. Besides hard to seal the gen off the motorhome.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I realize this may be inaccurate, but when you power your house through an outside outlet the power may feed to the local power grid, exposing others to possible shock hazards. When stationary generators are installed I would think some sort of reverse current protection would be required.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have done the exact same thing but in the winter most of the time used a heavy cord to power fridge and pellet stove same generator.
My fuel tank is full in the winter have run all night.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #7

I have run power back to the house"main shut off" and plugged the house reefer & freezer in and one light many hours-microwave---coffee==-A couple years back Hurricane-here in Va.-I put 150 hours on the generator,
rich in Va.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
I realize this may be inaccurate, but when you power your house through an outside outlet the power may feed to the local power grid, exposing others to possible shock hazards. When stationary generators are installed I would think some sort of reverse current protection would be required. Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent advice!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 AM   #9

Another reason to disconnet your house main disconnect switch at the main power panel if feeding through a house convenience outlet from your RV generator [besides possibly electrocuting a power company worker], if you don't, when the power is restored the grid power will most likey be out of phase with your generator phasing. And, the grid power will win! it ould do major damage to your generator set by forcing it to get in phase w/ the power grid. A tremendous amount of 'back torque' on your gen set an occur. I have seen generators wrenched off of their mounting bolts when this happens.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We run a 30 amp cord out the MH window and run 2 sump pumps. Have never had the power off long enough to run the friges.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #11

The natonal electrical code requires that an interlocked switch be used to connect a generator to a home on a power grid. The interlocked switch (transfer switch etc) whether manual or automatic will not allow the generator and grid power to be connected at the same time.

If you connect without one your homeowners insurance probably will not cover you if there is an incident.

Better safe then that other thing!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
can i use the same box at the genny or do i have to isolate the coach?
Sal Avitabile
Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sal avitabile:
can i use the same box at the genny or do i have to isolate the coach?
Sal Avitabile </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need a separate transfer switch to disconnect the house from the utility lines and divert the power from the coach into the houses circuits.