Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Use W/D while driving?

Use W/D while driving? Talking about the combo types. I haven't seen this asked or answered. Have seen where most people use them while sleeping. Salesman says we can, but....

Also, haven't seen this: Does the toad rack up mileage on the odomenter, assumming 4 down of course?

Thanks! We're getting much closer. Hoping to buy our first MH in August.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

I have not washed cloths while traveling but have hurd of others but I wouldn't while sleeping something may happen and you might not wake up. Second question it depends on toad I guess tranny would have to turn mine does'nt so no milage it's been pulled about 30,000 miles.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Does the toad rack up mileage on the odomenter, assumming 4 down of course?
Depends if it is a older model with a cable driven odometer or newer toad with electronic odometer.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post
Use W/D while driving? Talking about the combo types. I haven't seen this asked or answered. Have seen where most people use them while sleeping. Salesman says we can, but....
"Salesman says.".... anyone else have trouble with this part of the question?
In order to use the W/D you would have to be , running the gen set , hot water heater and ignoring the first of the W/D instructions . Have the grey tank dump valve open when operating.
Not saying it can't be done, just that it's not a great idea. The way the coach shakes when parked ; when spin cycle starts ; I'd probably think I was loosing a wheel.
First question to ask any salesperson working at an RV sales lot.
What kind of RV do you own ? JMHO.
I've had an RV salesman say to me ; with a straight face no less " Why are you asking all these questions about weight.. you've got a 3/4 ton , you can tow anything you want !"
Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

While it is possible to operate a washer/dryer when motoring down the highway, I sure would get annoyed with the added sound behind me. The high speed spin-out cycle, and clicking sounds of cycle changes, interfere with my listening for those "what was that?" sound events inside the motorcoach.

On top of that the genset would have to be running to power the washer/dryer. There have been times when we pulled into an interstate rest area to kill time so we would pass through the next big city during light traffic times. With the long pit stop available, we can fire up the genset, do some laundry, cook, and even take a soaking hot tub bath.

I never miss the house with foundation, grass to mow, leaves to rake, but wife does miss her snow shovel. <lol>
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

I would definitely NOT do it. Because there are rotating items inside the washer/dryer, like the tub, and rolling down the road with the occasional sway and buffeting by passing trucks and wind would not be very good for it. Not to mention dodging road gators and holes in the pavement.

But, if you really want to know, I bet the users guide will show you the manufacturers recommendation.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Underway Is The Perfect Time To Do Laundry

We do it. Our trips tend to run many weeks (heading to the Yukon next month), and we just do not want to be tied to a washer if we are parked - life is too short. Will run the generator, but tend not to run the hot water while underway, so cold washing is the standard. As long as you are not doing too many loads, and your gray water tank has been recently dumped, not a problem. My Splendide is way back in the driver's corner rear of my 40' Knight, above my Cummins 330, so even on spin I cannot tell it is even running. Caveat: I also run with scissors and practice other dangerous activities.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
... and even take a soaking hot tub bath...
lack of a tub is one of the biggies on my wish list. What model coach do you have, and how did you modify it for a tub??!!!

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Sure you can use the washer/dryer while driving. No problem making hot water for it either.

RV life is fraught with what ifs, can't be too carefuls, etc. This isn't one of them...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Many times we have run our W/D while running down the road. It was never an issue. Of course you need lots of room in the grey tank, The spendide washers are also mounted in boats and rocking about is not an issue.

I never really felt or heard it running while I was away up front about 30' from the unit and the gen was also running and it was right in front of me. Often ran the gen in my A's to keep the coach cool.

Did this for years without any issue,
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the Splendide units the drum is suspended on springs, hitting a bump hard can stretch them so it's not recommended by Splendide
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

lack of a tub is one of the biggies on my wish list. What model coach do you have, and how did you modify it for a tub??!!!

Kathryn

~~~
Prevost bus conversion. Didn't care for the glitzy and generally useless original Marathon conversion, so we tore everything down to bare ribs. Then built it up to our own needs. Full-sized tub and shower is wife's idea. By the way, the original conversion had a steam sauna. What a waste of space! The steam generator for it was a power hog.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
In order to use the W/D you would have to be , running the gen set , hot water heater and ignoring the first of the W/D instructions . Have the grey tank dump valve open when operating.
Not saying it can't be done, just that it's not a great idea. The way the coach shakes when parked ; when spin cycle starts ; I'd probably think I was loosing a wheel.
Sounds familiar - we tried it once a few years back. We were tooling down the road and I completely forgot we had the W/D running. That is until it started its spin cycle - I thought the drive shaft threw a balance weight or something! Then I remembered that the W/D was running and I told the wife "Let's not do that anymore!". Other than that, there's not much issue with running it: according to Splendide it uses a maximum of 14 gallons of water per load so there's plenty of room in the 50 gallon grey tank for the water, and if you don't want to run your water heater you can use a cold water cycle.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
is it plumbed to the gray tank, or to just the outlet tube? Sometimes being plumbed to just the outlet tube is why they say to have the valve open.

Personally, not my idea of fun worrying about it.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote