Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
Still watching, interesting reply's.....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #30

Subscribed.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Thor is very low quality that's why a lot for sale
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #32

We're looking as well. I'm not worried too much about chassis, engine, etc. That stuff - if properly maintained - will remain pretty constant from MH to MH. The things that I'm concerned about is the long-term build quality of things like cabinets, plumbing, wiring, cable pulls, FASTENERS!, walls, joinery, etc. That is where the biggest difference is going to be.

Newmar & Tiffin are two that are often mentioned for their quality of builds, and are pretty much my separation point from other coach manufacturers. They appear to be at a reasonable price on the used market as well.

Then there seems to be another level above them: Foretravel & Entegra are two examples. Both are at a considerably high price than Newmar & Tiffin. Is their build quality that much superior to Newmar & Tiffin?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor builds motorhomes from the tiny house Class B's (best selling Interstate), Class C (like the best selling FourWinds/Chateau) and Class A (like best selling ACE). Surely not all low quality RV's

Thor is also 21 brands of RV's in every segment and ignores no RV buyer. That really cannot be said about any other brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
You see a lot of Thor units because they build a lot of units. They simply have a greater share of the overall market.
jt
!

There is the fact AND what few realize...Thor Motor Coach (created in 2010) includes MOST every option available in their models and therefore the lines have few options.
So, if looking at any RV, it is smart to notice what the RV includes. Other brands start with a MSRP that compares to the similar TMC model, until you add-up the equipment (like multi-plex wiring, solar prep or sets, inverters, residential fridges, etc.)

With few exceptions, the chassis are all the same (Ford gas and Freightliner Diesel). TMC uses Mor-Ryde to prep their chassis for the house within 1/4 inch across the long way (can't do better).

Then apart from wall construction (they most all use a super-strong Laminate) construction is similar...hardwood faces in class sis decor - laminate in modern decor. If you want a hung wall, look at Entegra or Newmar...that's up to the buyer and a whole different thread.

Fit and finish and fixtures like cabinet materials are dictated by price point. All entry level units use some Masonite and/or particle board. Premium lines in all brands use hardwood.

Systems are pretty much all the same for most brands. Suppliers like Atwood, Dometic, Lippert, HWH and similar third party brands are easy to use, maintain, and repair. We stayed well clear of brands that used proprietary mechanicals...too expensive and hard to repair.

For the used market, the previous owners' TLC is the most important factor. Brand reputation really has no impact after the warranty. Any gently used unit will be a better RV than a hard used RV.

Shop with eyes wide open. Knowledge is power.
We love our Thor built RV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #34

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
We're looking as well. I'm not worried too much about chassis, engine, etc. That stuff - if properly maintained - will remain pretty constant from MH to MH. The things that I'm concerned about is the long-term build quality of things like cabinets, plumbing, wiring, cable pulls, FASTENERS!, walls, joinery, etc. That is where the biggest difference is going to be.

Newmar & Tiffin are two that are often mentioned for their quality of builds, and are pretty much my separation point from other coach manufacturers. They appear to be at a reasonable price on the used market as well.

Then there seems to be another level above them: Foretravel & Entegra are two examples. Both are at a considerably high price than Newmar & Tiffin. Is their build quality that much superior to Newmar & Tiffin?
Look at the elapsed time involved on the assembly line between REV/Thor(including Entegra)/Fleetwood/Winnebago/Newmar and then compare to the elapsed assembly time line for Prevost conversions, Newell & Foretravel.(And the defunct mfg's Beaver/Country Coach/Alpine)
The longer it takes to assemble the coach the more opportunities for quality control.
The other consideration is that you are trying to compare $350,000/$500,000 coaches to those that are $800,000+ to well over the 1,000,000/$3,000,000 mark , Those coach Manufacturers are not "focused" on a specific "Price Point". Rather.. their goal is to produce the very best "Durable Quality" product and then price them accordingly.

Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Look at the elapsed time involved on the assembly line between REV/Thor(including Entegra)/Fleetwood/Winnebago/Newmar and then compare to the elapsed time line for Prevost conversions, Newell & Foretravel.(And the defunct mfg's Beaver/Country Coach/Alpine)
The longer it takes to assemble the coach the more opportunities for quality control.
The other consideration is that you are trying to compare $350,000/$500,000 coaches to those that are nearly $750,000 to well over the 1,000,000 mark , Those coaches are not "focused" on a specific "Price Point". Rather.. their goal is to produce the very best "Durable Quality" product and price them accordingly.
Exactly. When you get into the used market (I'm looking at diesels in the 2003- date range) I'm trying to find which ones will have held up the best (having driven thousands of miles over those years). All will have "shaked, rattled, and rolled", but which ones will have proven their endurance over 15 years? That's my question.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
we,ve started are look into purchasing a used Class A. what we,ve noticed so far is a ton Of Thor model,s ,, Why? We are thinking the smaller Class A,s. but one of our requirments is a larger fridge. If you were in our boat what brands or models to stay away from, and one,s to consider?
I'd stay away from the ones that are easy to find. That could mean people did not care for them and traded. Look for the ones that are hard to come by and back the years out til the year fits your budget. I was given this advice and it worked well!!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Uhh.. Entegra is not higher priced than Newmar or Tiffin. In fact a loaded Newmar King Air is considerably higher than a loaded Cornerstone. in fact my lowly Country Coach was considerably higher than a new Cornerstone. The London Air is the direct competitor to the Cornerstone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #38

Forest River has somewhat of a spotty reputation also, but that is because various manufacturing units operate separately. Their Berkshire and Charleston lines are made on the same assembly lines while the Georgetown and other gas units are made on separate lines. We had very good luck with our Berkshire and certainly would have considered staying with them had it not been for certain amenities that we wanted in our next coach.

As to pricing, if you check out the pricing of an Entegra, after discounts, they tend to be less expensive than a comparable Newmar. Newmar offers options galore which many prefer while Entegra includes many items that are extra cost on a Newmar.

For the mid-level market I would put American, Entegra, Newmar, and Tiffin to be in the same general level of coach. Each one has their pluses and minuses.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Exactly. When you get into the used market (I'm looking at diesels in the 2003- date range) I'm trying to find which ones will have held up the best (having driven thousands of miles over those years). All will have "shaked, rattled, and rolled", but which ones will have proven their endurance over 15 years? That's my question.
Our 13 yr old Dutch Star (2002 4090) was the best MH we've ever owned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I'd like to make a couple of comments. I agree that Newmar and Tiffin seem to be recognized as the best in that market. While Entegra is a great coach from what I have seen and heard, I personally don't think it's a notch above Newmar nor Tiffin. I'd say it's basically on par with them. They all have various price points with different models. As far as brands that are a notch or two above you are correct with Foretravel, but I think the other would be Newell. And of course we are not even talking about bus conversions such as Prevost which really are in a completely different league.

One other brand that I would strongly consider when shopping for a new or used coach is Fleetwood. From what I have seen and the people I have talked who own them, Fleetwood builds a quality unit and gives you a lot of bang for your buck with all their products. I am generally impressed with their materials and their fit and finish.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I'd stay away from the ones that are easy to find. That could mean people did not care for them and traded. Look for the ones that are hard to come by and back the years out til the year fits your budget. I was given this advice and it worked well!!
I don't buy that advice for Thor. The reason is that if you are in their major market they are the new buyer, light user, and price point conscious. Many stay with their first choice for years. Many figure out what they want that is different from what they bought and trade for something more suited to their use.

I would strongly consider that advice for more expensive RV's. By then most folks have a clue about what they need/want in an RV so need a good reason to dump what they have. Sometimes it's the problems involved. My problem then is whether the units are really full of defects or the owner has irrational expectations.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Thor is very low quality that's why a lot for sale
I'm not sure I buy that. I think it's more an issue of sticker shock. I see a lot of "I spent $100,000 for this piece of junk" type comments. They assume that their $100,000 in a $200,000 market was supposed to be as good as the $200,000 unit. When they find out it's not some get really upset.

I will say that one gets what they pay for. Compare axle ratings, max weights and wheel bases as an example. Thor often has lower ratings because the lengthen a shorter, lighter chassis when somebody like Newmar shortens a heavier longer chassis. That is just one of the tricks...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a