Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #15
The Workhorse was used until 2011. It is a stellar chassis, especially the W24 and heavier versions. They used the 8.1 Chevy Vortec engine and an Allison transmission. That was a great combination. Parts are still readily available and I wouldn't hesitate to include them in your search.

My 2005 Newmar is on the Workhorse chassis. When I searched, I eliminated most builders except Newmar and Tiffin. I wouldn't buy Winnebago due to the windshield frame issue, just didn't want to risk dealing with it.

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #16
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok so it seems if it's Ford it's F53, if it's workhorse its W22 or W24..how do you know if it's a W22 or W24?

1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #17
I would download brochures for coaches you find of interest and check the chassis and the carrying capacity for the floor plan since each will be different.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently sold a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow in that price range. A large gasser of 37' with two slides, one a super slide for the living/dining. Available on both ford F53 or Workhorse. An uptodate interior decor and of good build quality - solid wood cabinets, porcelain toilet, etc. was top of the Fleetwood line at the time. 2003 model year was also the same in most every way.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Ok so it seems if it's Ford it's F53, if it's workhorse its W22 or W24..how do you know if it's a W22 or W24?
Agree to download a brochure and check the specs. Most manufacturers have some way of downloading historical information. You can also get it from the chassis VIN number. The 6th digit should be an "A" for the W24 series.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong and George (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
The information plate by the drivers seat will tell you if it is a W22 or W24. The W22 is the 22K chassis where the W24 is the 24K chassis. Since they are interested in a 30 - 32 ft range if it is a Workhorse chassis it will probably be the W22 chassis as the rig probably did not need the extra weight capacity that a 37 ft rig would need. By the way the F53 chassis also has different weight capacities but they all remain named F53 where as Workhorse changed the model numbers.

I personally would not get too wrapped up in F53 vs W22 as part of the search criteria as overall condition and maintenance would be the over riding factors on a 10+ year rig. If it happens to be a W22 I would want to make sure the brake recall was completed, in fact I would say I would want to make sure any recalls were completed no matter the source. This would include any recalls on items like the Norcold refrigerators.

mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
We first started out with a Georgie Boy Landau 35 ft with 3 slides and the 310 horsepower v10. This is a 2 valve engine. We pulled a 2008 Chevy HHR at 3150 lbs. I believe in 2006 they came out with the 362 horse power engine with 3 valves. First thing for us was the floor plan. The second was how many slides could we afford. Third was did it have maintenance records. We actually got more money for it because we had all the maintenance records from when we bought it. We found out it sold the same day we traded it in because of all the records and condition.
We traded it down in Fort Myers for a 2008 Thor Mandalay. It was on consignment and had no records. The owner said they had all maintenance done when needed. I offered them a lower price because of no records. The wife had to do everything because of the mans condition. We lucked out and the wife said take it.

2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, class a, gas