Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Used Class A gasser for 35k or less - need advice

I know someone who is planning on buying a Class A early next year and wants to spend around 30-35k. This will not be a fulltime rig. I went from fifth wheels to DP's and my only motorhome experience is with BlueBirds which is not a middle/entry level coach so I have no clue/experience/history with all of the brands in the middle tier or gassers and the available chassis for that matter.

I scanned through some online sites (craigslist, ppl, etc.. etc...) and it seems that at this pricepoint it will be a 2000-2006 year model coach. I'm familiar with the specifics of condition/systems/etc... and can check those out for him, I'm just looking for help on narrowing down what brands/models to look for and what to avoid. The other issue is he wants a small (31' or less) coach due to some of the places they frequent.

Can y'all give me some models to keep an eye out for?

thanks!!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Smile

In that price range there are many models and years to choose from. The length maybe hard to find. The market is heated up right now and dealers have raised prices on used rigs. I have a 31 ft four winds Hurricane 31D which is a so called entry model. Mine now has over 60000 miles and is running strong. We love it and is ideal for dry camping and getting into state and national parks. I would not be afraid to full time in it. lots of room in the living area with the opposing slides. We go south for the winter 3 or 4 months in it. It is also great for weekends and short trips. easy to maintain and won't break the piggy bank. we downsized from a 38 ft.
Mel

Old 07-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks..those look promising. Something I don't understand is the mfg's... (I've been living in my own little DP world!).

I see THOR is the mfg but it says four winds AND hurricane?? Is Thor like GM, then Four Winds like Chevy, then Hurricane like Impala? Trying to understand the relationships here as I've read don't by this or that brand but I'm confused as to what "brand" really means..

thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would personally look for a gas coach on the Workhorse chassis if looking at older coaches.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Four winds was bought out by Thor so it goes like this. Thor is now the Parent Company Four Winds is now a Subsidiary or Division of Thor. Hurricane is the type, and 31D is the model. Hope this helps
Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
I would personally look for a gas coach on the Workhorse chassis if looking at older coaches.

Jon
Nothing wrong with a ford chassis. I have owned both. In the OP's price range he could get a newer coach with Ford chassis. Why settle for a 15 or 20 year old coach just for a Workhorse chassis. Personally I would not buy one older than 10 years and I believe 2005 or 2006 was the last year you could get a motor home with a Workhorse chassis. They don't make the Workhorse chassis for motor homes anymore. Length is another consideration. the OP wants 31 ft.
Mel
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Are the Ford's in that year range the F53 I hear people talking about or something different? I'm trying to help them make an educated purchase as I know I will be sucked into working on it when something breaks (brother in law) ��
Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

I have a 2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30b. It has one slide and we love it. It is quite livable and they cost in the mid 20's. Mine is on a Ford F53 Chassis. We have put 16K miles on it in the last 1 1/2 years with very few problems.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Are the Ford's in that year range the F53 I hear people talking about or something different? I'm trying to help them make an educated purchase as I know I will be sucked into working on it when something breaks (brother in law) ��
AFAIK, all or most all class A's after about 2005 0r 06 are F-53 chassis. for Gas motor homes. Workhorse was supposed to start supplying motor home chassis again sometime in 2015. Don't know if they did or not. Workhorse had a lot of brake problem in the mid 2000's from about 2002 on. There was a big recall. I had a dolphin that had the workhorse chassis and really liked it. I did not have any problems with it. I had a 2002 Pace arrow with workhorse chassis and had nothing but problems including brakes. out of about 7 or so motor homes that I have owned, all but 2 have been ford F-53. Never had a problem with the Ford F-53 chassis and the newer V-10 with 30 valves is a bullet proof engine. over 60,000 on mine.
Mel
Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
AFAIK, all or most all class A's after about 2005 0r 06 are F-53 chassis. for Gas motor homes. Workhorse was supposed to start supplying motor home chassis again sometime in 2015. Don't know if they did or not. Workhorse had a lot of brake problem in the mid 2000's from about 2002 on. There was a big recall. I had a dolphin that had the workhorse chassis and really liked it. I did not have any problems with it. I had a 2002 Pace arrow with workhorse chassis and had nothing but problems including brakes. out of about 7 or so motor homes that I have owned, all but 2 have been ford F-53. Never had a problem with the Ford F-53 chassis and the newer Ford V-10 2006 on, with 30 valves is a bullet proof engine. 362 HP I have over 60,000 on mine.
Mel
Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Nothing wrong with a ford chassis. I have owned both. In the OP's price range he could get a newer coach with Ford chassis. Why settle for a 15 or 20 year old coach just for a Workhorse chassis. Personally I would not buy one older than 10 years and I believe 2005 or 2006 was the last year you could get a motor home with a Workhorse chassis. They don't make the Workhorse chassis for motor homes anymore. Length is another consideration. the OP wants 31 ft.
Mel
Tiffin stopped using Workhorse chassis in 2011.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...roBrochure.pdf

Most owners with Ford chassis add sway bars or other modifications to improve the ride and they also install the Banks system for more power. They have now came out with the Sumo springs to improve the ride and the owners that have installed them say they are a huge improvement.

The only thing I have added was a Safe T Plus for safety in case of a blow out.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 07-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Tiffin stopped using Workhorse chassis in 2011.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...roBrochure.pdf

Most owners with Ford chassis add sway bars or other modifications to improve the ride and they also install the Banks system for more power. They have now came out with the Sumo springs to improve the ride and the owners that have installed them say they are a huge improvement.

The only thing I have added was a Safe T Plus for safety in case of a blow out.

Jon
Like I said in a previous post
Quote:
AFAIK, all or most all class A's after about 2005 0r 06 are F-53 chassis. for Gas motor homes.

I was unaware that Tiffen was still using the Workhorse chassis until 2011. Most Motor homes after 05 or 06 went to Ford F-53.

As for power, The 30 valve Ford V-10 is 362 HP I pull hills and mountains pulling my jeep liberty, I have no problems and can go up most of them at 50-55 MPH. The Workhorse is a great chassis and in most cases had a better ride without modification. On the other hand the F53 chassis has a stiffer ride because of leaf springs. I have no preference one way or another. F-53 or workhorse makes no difference to me. My concern is a floor plan that works for me and a motor home that will take me where I want to go. If I was worried about the ride I would have bought a diesel.
Mel
Old 07-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Like I said in a previous post
[/COLOR][/U]I was unaware that Tiffen was still using the Workhorse chassis until 2011. Most Motor homes after 05 or 06 went to Ford F-53.

As for power, The 30 valve Ford V-10 is 362 HP I pull hills and mountains pulling my jeep liberty, I have no problems and can go up most of them at 50-55 MPH. The Workhorse is a great chassis and in most cases had a better ride without modification. On the other hand the F53 chassis has a stiffer ride because of leaf springs. I have no preference one way or another. F-53 or workhorse makes no difference to me. My concern is a floor plan that works for me and a motor home that will take me where I want to go. If I was worried about the ride I would have bought a diesel.
Mel
Mel, There were many Workhorse units well past 2005. When I was shopping a year and a half ago, it seemed that the majority of the gassers up to 2010 were Workhorse. Maybe it was just the models I was looking at, (35 ft +) but there really were less Fords. Workhorse was available thru 2010, and there were actually some 2011 coaches built on the 2010 chassis. As for the brake issue, yes, there was a recall on the brakes, but that was on the W22 chassis (and maybe lighter ones as well). The W24 chassis was not affected. There is certainly nothing at all wrong with the V10. Its a good engine. But for my money, I'd be looking for a Workhorse W24. I was lucky enough to find one with very low miles and so far am extremely pleased with it. If you would look at RV Trader, you would find numerous Workhorse chassis motorhomes available up through 2010. After that, its a Ford. BTW, the WH is on leaf springs also.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to mention that the Workhorse with the 8.1L engine had the Allison transmission to back it up.

Ford has finally came out with a 6 spd transmission in the 2016 models.

The V10 engine is a good engine but you have to rev it higher than the 8.1 going up hills which gives you a lot more noise.

As most people have said though buy the one with the floor plan that the DW likes and you should be happy.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy

Tags
advice, class a, gas