Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Used Class A with bunks (or not. . .)

Family of 4 (me, wife, two pre-teen girls) that have been camping for many years and plan to keep doing so for many more. We upgraded from a popup to TT 3 yrs ago and have significantly increased our number and length of trips.

I have always had my heart set on a Class A so we could do trips out west "more easily" (that's subjective, I know) to national parks, etc. In looking at A's, a must have is bunks because I know we do NOT want to set up/tear down a couch or dinette every night. Another must have is something I can afford!! Just about everything else can be negotiable.

As I've been perusing RVTrader.com, CL, etc, there are TONS of A's in a reasonable price range but almost none of them have bunks (I'd say one out of every 400).

So, I see a few possible options:
1. Increase budget - ouch. My goal would be to trade in the TT, trade down (a lot) from our 3/4 ton diesel PU to a more reasonable TOAD, and hopefully only spend $40-50k out of pocket.
2. Be more patient - not my nature. . .
3. Switch my searching to Class C's where bunks are much more abundant
4. Consider retrofitting bunks into an A that is otherwise ideal and at a price point where I could justify spending the $$ to do so.

Would appreciate input/experience from others who have made or contemplated a similar decision.

purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
We moved from a C to an A bunk. Many options and we looked at many A's with bunks. We decided on Coachmen as a well built value driven decision.

Moving from breaking down the couch each night and adding a half bath was a huge step up in civility and comfort.

Life's short. No regrets.
Good luck.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
I love my class A, but I'd suggest just getting another travel trailer with a bunk house in it. A new 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 31QBDS runs less than $30k and you already have the truck.

Here is my reasoning: You got maybe 4 more years if you are lucky before the girls way too many things to do during the summer than to be away from all there friends/boyfriends for more than a few days without making everyone around them miserable. Maybe your girls will be different, but I can only speak from my experience. Once our daughter hit high school her summers were packed with stuff going on. Middle school years, she was just a moody mess, and there was much we could do to make her happy.

The class C might be a good compromise, but after 4 years it's going to sit a lot, or you are going to need to sell it, so I suggest another TT.

Once they are in college, you can buy a Class A for you and the DW to go visit them at school, assuming the cost of college doesn't break you.
2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3858
1990 Fleetwood Bounder 31K
BuckyBounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are currently in the process of helping my daughter and son in law find a class A bunk unit. Finding them near us is proving to be a real challenge. We are in VT and there are none here. We went to RI & NY looking. The RI unit has completely rusted out storage compartments. The NY one sold before they could decide. It was a 2007 thirty six footer for $40K and was well worth it.

Anyway ......... The resale market is very good right now and availability versus demand will keep the market good. Even though your kids will likely outgrow camping long before you, you'll be able to sell it easily when the time comes.

Good luck !!!
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Have to compromise somewhere, we were in the same boat. Now that our girls are both out of college (and out of state), it's less of a concern.

Our trips are either just the two of us, or as we are able to have one of our daughters with us.

Still occasionally think it would be nice to have bunks if ever needed, but would rather have a practical floorplan that we like..
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Its one reason I went new, couldn't find used short class A bunkhouses, seems like a newer concept or something. Although now they are starting to get out into the used market, still hard to find. If you are ok with 35ft+ there are a lot of Tiffin 35qba's and Fleetwood Discovery 40g's out there, but I need to keep length and budget down.

I definitely recommend dedicated bunks with kids, it is worth it. We don't feel cramped at all in 31ft. Took my two girls out west for a month and it was great, almost makes me want to sell the house and go full time.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Just a thought.....We had a Class C for many years while our daughters camped with us. The bed over the cab was very convenient, especially for storage of coats and stuff during the day. When they occasionally brought friends, we still had the dinette for their friends to sleep on.

You can also find Class C's for a lot less than a Class A, both new and used.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Happy Traveler : )

you didn't mention what type of 'class a' coach you were looking for, gas or diesel.

for gas, you can try Coachmen Mirada

for diesel, you could try to find a Thor Palazzo 33.3 or Forest River Legacy 340BH
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
The kids never wanted to sleep in the same rig as the adults-always pitched a tent for them. Even if it was under the awning (rainy weekends). Now it's a moot point-as Bucky says they outgrow it quicker than you want to admit.
1991 Winnebago Warrior 23EC Class A
bill06447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we looked for a class A with bunks it took us 6 months or so to find ours and I had to fly from AZ to FL to pick it up, but it was the only 2 bedroom model that we could find in a gas coach within our price range. I say keep looking, they are out there. Good luck with your search.
2008 National SurfSide 34E (Bunk Model) Ford V10
Sold- 1990 Hawkins Chevy P30 454
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Thanks all for the great feedback. So far, nobody's tried the convert a "couples" Class A into a bunkhouse route. That should probably tell me something. . .like it isn't a great idea.
Don't really care about gas vs diesel. Will do some research on the models mentioned and see what turns up.
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't really care about gas vs diesel
Ohh if gas is okay, then I'd suggest looking into a Tiffin 35QBA, for instance something like:

2009 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Open Road 35QBA, Gainesville GA - - RVtrader.com

My next door neighbor has 4 kids and has one of them.
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
I ran a search on RVTrader for: Class A, 2006 or newer, $20k-$60k with bunks and got 80 hits.
Without bunks the search hits over 800 so bunk models are rare.
The lowest priced models with bunks were over $38k.

New or Used Class A RVs for Sale in Dixon, Illinois - RVTrader.com
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
We have 4 children and we are in our 2nd class a our first was an Madp it had opposing couches and one made a queen air bed it worked out great setting up and tearing down only took a few minutes and was easy

Now we have an exdp with opposing couches that jackknife not quite as comfortable but not bad blankets are easily stored in drawers below and this way when we aren't sleeping we don't have the wasted space of a bunk
Also I do t like how most of the bunk models the kids are right outside the bedroom door just my .02

05' Newmar EXDP 4502 08 Saturn Outlook , 14 Silverado crew, 04 Wrangler, or 26' enclosed ATC trailer
STEVE-JUNELL is online now   Reply With Quote

class a