Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Used Diesel discount

So I see lots of info about 25 - 35% discounts on new RVs. But if I'm in the market for a used diesel, what kind of discount should I expect from a dealer or private seller?
FutureNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNewbee View Post
So I see lots of info about 25 - 35% discounts on new RVs. But if I'm in the market for a used diesel, what kind of discount should I expect from a dealer or private seller?
FutureNewbee
I don't think you can expect a particular % discount on either a new or a used RV.
You have to negotiate with the seller to get to a price you both will be satisfied with.
BTW always be prepared to walk away if you can not agree.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I don't know of any hard and fast 'rule of thumb.' Inspect and compare the RV you're interested in and offer a price. They can say no or counter-offer. Don't worry about %, look at the worth.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I know of several dealers who ask $10-$15 K more than the value of the unit. Negotiate a little bit and you will get a big discount.

I know another dealer who prices their product within $2-$5K of the unit's value. You will never get the same discount as from the dealer with the higher price, but you will get a good deal.

Buying used is difficult because it is so hard to determine the real value of the unit. It depends on demand, the area of the United States that you are in, condition, etc. The right price on a used unit is what you are willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. ;-)
Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
New units can have a discount because they have MSRP. MSRP is a magic number the manufacturer comes up with to enable the dealers to discount the price making everyone think they got a good deal on their unit.

Truth be told the manufacturer will not sell the unit for less than it cost to build it plus a markup. The dealer can not sell it for less than he paid for it, not for very long at least. If either sell for less than it cost them they will soon be out of business.

Thus the new 25 - 30+% "discount" has been worked into the MSRP.

Used units are a different breed. They do not come with a MSRP so it will be a meeting of two individuals who are dealing on the same unit. One is trying to sell for as much as he can get and the other is trying to purchase for the least that he can pay. A successful negotiation will result in the exchange of money for the exchange of goods. A really successful sale will result in the exchange of money and goods along with both parties being satisfied.

It depends on how much you want the unit and how badly the seller wants to sell. Got to remember that if you find something you really like you may not be able to go around the corner and find another just like it. Since it is used it is likely not in production any more. You might be able to find another one but you will have to search.

Also consider that the majority of the issues should have been settled and all of the warranty work and hassles should have been taken care of.

Be aware that there are a number of used units (spawn of hell) out there for sale because the owners have not had good luck with them and have become tired of chasing the manufacturer for warranty work. Some will be trying to sell to try another unit with which they may have better luck.

In any case there is no formula for determining the selling price of a used unit. It is more subjective than the MSRP numbers.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
On new, I have always heard about 27-35%. Never bought new so not sure. On used I have a personal rule or two. I never get emotionally attached to anything before I buy. I never drive it until I have a deal that I am happy with and the drive is the deal maker or breaker. On a used MH I look at NADA low retail, yes I know that is an arbitrary number but I use it. I will buy for 20% below NADA low retail, maybe a little less if I'm real impressed and new tires. If they say "no", I politely thank them for their time and leave. Most of the time they will call me back and work the deal. Sometimes I walk away disappointed, sometimes happy. I know that there are many ways to buy and some will disagree with mine but this is my way and it works for me.
Good luck!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

What I have always done for what its worth is shop first for floorplan, manufacture and must have options. My last coach I had it narrowed down to likely less then 100 manufactured. I figured it could have taken a year or more to see one come available. During this research a your price will start being logical. When you find the rig, likely out of state, make your deal and enjoy. I think some just run down to the local rv dealer and buy what they like best out of the inventory. I think that's a mistake because after you have enjoyed the hobby and lifestyle you will see options that could be real handy. Also sometimes if you are having trouble getting more bang for your buck pull back a year or two.
I see a lot of older rigs that are very reliable and very attractive price point
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Some of the research I've done suggests that the RV community is always willing to share their experiences and knowledge with others, and the responses I've received on this thread is proof positive. Thanks for the info - keep it coming!:Thanx
FutureNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

I was interested in a used DP. For a few months the price listed was $79,000. A few months later it was $69,000. A few months later it was $59,000. The ad showed the price reductions. I took it for a test drive and suggested I would pay $52,000 if the wife liked it. Salesman thought that number was a possibility. Wife didn't like it.

BTW - this was at the largest Nationwide RV dealer in the US.

I have a different DP MH today I purchased from an individual.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #10

I had a friend who was selling on consignment through a large dealer. They told him he would get 75K for his MH. They put it on the lot at 139K. As his contract got close to it's end they reduced it down to 119K and it sold. Not sure what they got for it but there was plenty of room for negotiation.

Tags
diesel