Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Used Diesel Pushers, expensive is better.

In shopping for a used diesel pusher, I've invariably found that the owners of the higher end lines like Newmar and Entegra have kept their coaches in tip-top shape, looking good and running well.

Might the prospective buyer of that previously loved coach, on balance, be more likely to get one that has far fewer problems down the road and an overall a more pleasurable experience?

Would seem to make sense.
mr buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agreed. Makes sense. Most times the quality coach is better maintained. There are always exceptions.
BLE373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

On average, I agree that is a fair assumption but then there are the ones who drive em like the bank owns them. Gotta watch out for them.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

We looked at a 4 year old Zephyr that was just sad inside . . . just baffling??
Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #5

That being said. I know mines not a high end couch but it is a 04 discovery 39s pretty nice. Not sure what it's value was but I only paid $22 grand for it. 40,000 Miles. Alittle rough cosmetically from previous owner but alittle elbow grease and she's tip top. And it's high end enough for me my wife and both varmits. (3&6 year old boy and girl.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

I bought a 2009 Monaco Knight 42 DFT. A fine and well kept machine. But.... still needs attention, love ...and a certain devotion. I am income deficient, but ready and usually able to keep her.
Hartrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

I'm a Newmar guy and being said I agree that better units for the most part are taken care of than some of the entry level units. If you are willing to spend the money out front you are more willing to spend the money to keep the unit up to par.
alnewmar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are exceptions, but generally, I agree.

ALSO - I'd throw high end gassers into this observations.

When we started our search for our next upgrade, we specificly limited our search to DPs, just for the reason you stated. Higher quality build, and maintained.

We found several manufactures offered the same high quality coach and floor plans on a gas chassis. We looked at several of these (Allegro Bay, Fleetwood Southwind) After a month of searching we found we could get the same high end quality and maintenance for substantially less money.

We shifted our search to these coaches on an F53 chassis (I'm very familiar with that chassis)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I sort of agree, but we traded in our 6 year old Journey with 75,000 miles and you would have to look really close to see it was used. The dealer sold in in 2 weeks.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Most coach owners are in the upper age bracket. As they age they reach a point where they tend to let things deteriorate. There are a very small number of folks that are meticulous and try to keep everything updated and in working order.
Another factor is RV repair places. If you want some interesting reading, just read the reviews for Camping World RV repair. Sometimes it takes 4 or more tries to get something repaired. This combined with cost tends to deter non do it yourself folks from having repairs done.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #11

The thing that worries me about the high end coaches is the electronics in the fancier one's. Forget about replacement parts for a lot of it after a few years.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you "invest" ¾ of a million in a rig you quite naturally want to keep it in good shape!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
THE biggest factor in used vehicles, RVs, cars airplanes, boats, is maintenance. If the owner performs maintenance correctly and on time, be it preventative or corrective, the owner is also likely to not abuse the vehicle. I look for signs of preventative and corrective maintenance. I know people who buy new every few years, and perform no maintenance because they intend to buy new in a year or so.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pick a few higher quality brands and models - determine your budget - go back in years till budget and coach prices align. Imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel