Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #29

Rexhall Owners Group
Jack,

You are a Rexhall owner. What are your thoughts on a 1998 Rexhall Anthem with a Sartan Chassis 350 Cummins and a 6 speed Allison.

Thanks.

Martin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #30

Rexhall Owners Group
Jack,

It looks like you are a Rexhall owner. What are your thoughts on a 1998 Rexhall Anthem powered by a 350 Cummins and 6 Speed Allison, Spartan chassis, disc brakes and I think it has a rear radiator.

Thanks,
Martin.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP
Jack,

It looks like you are a Rexhall owner. What are your thoughts on a 1998 Rexhall Anthem powered by a 350 Cummins and 6 Speed Allison, Spartan chassis, disc brakes and I think it has a rear radiator.

Thanks,
Martin.
Martin....As you know Spartan makes a very well respected MH chassis. Having said that, I would do some research on the axles to be sure they are beefy enough to give you an adequate CCC & the ability to tow a reasonably sized toad. The hitch "size" will be an initial clue. In addition, I assume when you mention "disc brakes" you are referring to hydraulic rather than "air" brakes? Does this also mean the suspension is "springs" vrs air ride? Without air brakes & suspension you are really just getting a diesel on a gasser chassis.

Personally, I would call Spartan (1-800-543-4277) with the VIN and get the dope on the chassis (any recalls ? )from one of their techs. You can then decide if it is adequate for your needs. While you are on the phone, I'd also get the scoop on your 350 Cummins....is it an ISB (600-800ft/lbs) or an ISC ( 1025 ft/lbs). How heavy is the Anthem? How about the tranny....is it an Allison 2000, 2500 or a 3000? Does it have an engine or exhaust brake? I prefer a side radiator, but I also wouldn't let a rear rad. be a deal breaker if everything else was good.

As for Rexhall, they are a boutique builder in Lancaster CA and "still-in-business". You can phone them at any time for parts or advice (priceless). Our RoseAir is approaching 9yrs and the build quality is great.....solid Oak cabinets, no,leaks, hydraulic slides that still fit & don't leak, sturdy HWH jacks, flex steel furniture, fiberglass roof, very few squeaks & rattles, etc. We take it in for service once a year and that's it!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #32

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks Jack,

We decided to go with the Rexhall as this our first class A and it did seem to be a good entry level unit for the price, size, condition and mileage. The numbers that I gave initially were wrong. The engines is a Cummins rated at about 245 HP, transmission is an Allison 4 speed, rear radiator which I unstand needs to be cleaned more often due to dirt, air suspension, LPG generator, leveling jacks, braking system is pneumatic/hydraulic disc and the unit has 26K miles. It does not have a tow hitch but instead has a motorcycle lift but, due to the air blasting out of the radiator I'm not going to put my Honda Goldwing on it. In fact, I was thnking of removing it. I drove it on the streets around town and out on the freeway to get I a feel for it and to do ops check on the way the engine and transmission performed. Know I need to find a Spartan Service Manual. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the information.

Martin.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Hey Frank...I'm curious when you say it has all the "good stuff".

1) What is the chassis & suspension & air brakes?
2) What engine - HP/Torque-Rear or Side Rad.
3) Transmission?
4) What is the Benny & how many hours?
5) When was the last major service & who did it?

& drive train?
2) What is your load carrying capacity once you are fully loaded with fuel, water, propane, people?
3) What age are the tires?
4) How many batteries & condition?
5) Why is the tow capacity so limited?
WOW! Good post jack1234, it just overwelmed theOP. Two owners in four years, makes you wonder why they gave up the "good stuff"?
To me buying a DP is major, you need all of that info and more. I know DW must be happy, but trading is costly.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #34

Like most things in life, a potential motor home buyer needs to have a logical plan.
1. What goal do I want to achieve?
2. What are my plans to use the motorhome?
3. Am I going to be a full timer or a part timer or a week ender and vacationer?
4. What's my budget?
5. Am I willing to buy used in order to get into a higher quality coach or am I fixed on a new coach?

Once you have digested the above questions, you should develop a list of absolute requirements and then a list of desirable. An idea of what you absolutely don't want is good also.

Once you have done the above, it's time to go to start researching coaches and go to a mega dealer and kick tires and walk through a lot of coaches. Can be done at a rally's also but bigger crowds to deal with. From all this you should develop a short list of desirable manufacturers and models to start looking for.

By the time you do all of the above you will be an informed buyer and much harder to fool. My wife and I went through this process in '06 with the goal of buying a coach for full timing. We started our education process in '03. We are completely happy with our coach/home and would still choose it today. The few things we had wished were different we're address in an interior remodel we did last year, with luxury vinyl tire throughout, a residential frig, and a custom cherry credenza. All changes were much cheaper than one year of depreciation.

Do your homework first and you will have no regrets.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #35

Rexhall Owners Group
Jack,

The engine is an ISB 5.9L 24V rated @ 210 HP. Transmission is an AT542. The generator is a Generac 5.5. The price was within our budget. I did go around the underside on a creeper to inspect the chassis and floor and frame of the coach body. Was it a wise purchase? Being a used vehicle time will tell.

Martin
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Sorry Frank...I'll but out....good luck.
Hay Jack, I am sorry for being rude. You were just trying to give good questions and stuff i should be asking when we get back and go and see and drive some brands. We are not going to that Dealer in Texas after all as our plans have changed but there are several RV dealers in Tucson so we will print you check list out when we get home and see what they say about your wealth of Knowledge. Thank you again for your help.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #37

FWIW, my coach weighs 28,000 on the road, and with the 300hp/950tq ISC, I get up 7% grades at 48mph (and on those hills, most big trucks are MUCH slower) and my average mpg over the 8,000 miles since we got it is 10.1mpg.

Steve
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP
Jack,

The engine is an ISB 5.9L 24V rated @ 210 HP. Transmission is an AT542. The generator is a Generac 5.5. The price was within our budget. I did go around the underside on a creeper to inspect the chassis and floor and frame of the coach body. Was it a wise purchase? Being a used vehicle time will tell.

Martin
Hey Martin....there is no perfect purchase! I'm sure you got the Rex for a good price...now go enjoy and make some memories!

Cheers

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote