Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

used DP intial service

Hi All

I am in the last stages of buying a 2008 HR Ambassador 40SKQ with 10,000 miles. My inclination is to have all the lubricants and fluids and filters changed before heading out. What are your thoughts on this?
I am retired so we have budgets to work with.

I think the engine for sure, what do you think about the trans and coolant. Would it be a safe bet to put more miles on them before changing?

Our first long trip will be from Ontario to Alberta and then to Naples Fl

Worth the risk or bite the bullet now?????

Thanks Terry
terryflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

If you do not have the service records I would at least change the engine oil and filter, check the air cleaner. Visual inspection of the trans, and rear end fluid should suffice. Coolant can be checked for proper mixture. Visual inspection generally is good for belts and hoses and of course tire pressure and close inspection. Fuel filters are a good bet and carry a spare just in case.

A lot depends on how long and where the coach has been sitting.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #3

Terry, congratulations on your pending purchase. Your coach is 5 years old, even though it only has 10K miles. A complete change of all fluids and filters would be prudent. Oil, fuel filters, transmission oil change and filters w/ TranSynd, air cleaner, air brake system air filters, rear end (use synthetic), coolant. Don't forget to put a full fresh service on the generator.

With the above done, you now have a baseline to start the appropriate time intervals for the appropriate systems.

Good luck with your pending purchase.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a good choice! I try to "catch up" all service items when I purchase used - any maintenance items that I do not have validation of completion. Engine (oil, filters, etc.) and transmission at a minimum. This gives me a good baseline for future maintenance scheduling. Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I agree with Don unless you have paper work showing this coach has been looked
after it is better that you find out now than along side the road.
When I picked up my used unit I took it to a shop and had them check and service
everything from the front bumper to the rear bumper and was surprised at what they found that needed attention.
This was even with paper work from the dealer that stated they had done a complete
service.(not so)
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

Don has given great advice, and I agree 100%.

Tags
service