Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Used DP must haves?

Looking to get a little newer DP and wondering what some of your suggested "must haves" are? Thinking of something in the 2008 or newer range, up to $150-$175k budget. Is DEF something I want to avoid? Is a rear vs side radiator a deal breaker if the rest of the coach has everything we're looking for? IE: Winnie Tour and Itasca Ellipse have great floor plan options, large engines, good amenities, and quality construction, but have rear radiators. Would this be a deal breaker for you? What are other things you'd definitely want in your next coach?

Thanks for input folks!
Brianpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would avoid DEF if possible but I believe most coaches after 2008 had it.

I would not have a rear radiator, to many problems reported on IRV2 for me. I like to be able to get in the back of my engine to look at it, check belts etc. My side radiator stays pretty clean and is easy to maintain.

If I were to buy a newer coach I'd definately want a tag axle, 45', quadslide. Aquahot or equivalent. I would avoid the Cummins engines that have had problems.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpr View Post
Looking to get a little newer DP and wondering what some of your suggested "must haves" are? Thinking of something in the 2008 or newer range, up to $150-$175k budget. Is DEF something I want to avoid? Is a rear vs side radiator a deal breaker if the rest of the coach has everything we're looking for? IE: Winnie Tour and Itasca Ellipse have great floor plan options, large engines, good amenities, and quality construction, but have rear radiators. Would this be a deal breaker for you? What are other things you'd definitely want in your next coach?

Thanks for input folks!
Since you already have a Monaco, you know the quality. I definitely recommend: side rad, tag, Aquahot + a non Dpf or Def engine. The 09 Dynasty is coming with an ISM (Pre-Dpf or DEF) with lots of power and torque and it's in your budget...
I wouldn't get a three slides since it's harder to prevent body flex!
I forgot about another very nice option, automatic air leveling!!!
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I wouldn't rule out DEF engines since it's really not a major deal to add and is available everywhere now. The exhaust definitely burns cleaner and consumption isn't that bad. I have used about 50 gallons of DEF in over 18,000 miles on this coach.

As for side radiator, maintenance is definitely easier on one. However, a whole new system of complex drive train is introduced unless you get one with a hydraulic driven fan, as well as losing a side storage compartment or two. All things considered, the floor plan is more important than the radiator to me.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

I'd avoid DEF - just for the hassle. DEF is required on diesel trucks built after 2010. But, you may find MH up to 2012 that don't have DEF because the MH manufacturer may have had the chassis and motor in inventory for over two years until they built the coach.

Other than that, you need to find the floor plan you want.

The rest is "just" finding a MH that is mechanically sound with acceptable mileage for it's age.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I wouldn't rule out DEF engines since it's really not a major deal to add and is available everywhere now. The exhaust definitely burns cleaner and consumption isn't that bad. I have used about 50 gallons of DEF in over 18,000 miles on this coach.

As for side radiator, maintenance is definitely easier on one. However, a whole new system of complex drive train is introduced unless you get one with a hydraulic driven fan, as well as losing a side storage compartment or two. All things considered, the floor plan is more important than the radiator to me.
I think you summed it up pretty well. Contrary to the above post there are way more issues with side radiators due to the drive and controls. Read a bit more closely and you will find them. On a newer coach you really should not have engine or drive train issues at all, with a few exceptions. Three slides aren't an issue on a good heavy chassis. If the Chassis flex is an issue the chassis is an issue to again just look at history. You cant lump things together as many do on the forums. Best advice is the floor plan and getting the newest quality built coach you can afford.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #7

A better reply to your question would be what we did. We put together a list of the must haves and nice to have features. The Thor Tuscany line was the only vendor that hit all the check boxes for the must haves. We have been camping for over 50 years with all types of rigs so had a pretty good idea what we wanted and could live without. Budget was 300-500 so that limited the top end rigs. Taxes in MO are based on value instead of weight so a Newel coach tax per year could easily hit 15,000 and the sales tax is a hit as well so that was part of the initial cost consideration. Warranty on the Power Train was important, more so than on the coach as we were used to not having everything done properly the first time. Our last 5th wheel a decked out Landmark had many issues so we didn't expect to be trouble free but sure didn't want to sit along side the road.

Look at the Standard Tuscany features including the 60 degree wheel cut on the IFS as that is a nice thing which other coaches feature as well. Among the must haves for us were three HVAC units as we tend to hit both hot and cold weather. No propane was an absolute no matter the other features a coach might offer. 99% of the folks that go all electric never will go back to propane. Anyway, hope you find your dream coach and happy hunting.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #8

Did not realize when we bought ours but a curb side dinette instead of a roadside dinette personally I would rather look at my patio then my neighbors patio
Not too many out there
DW wants a bath and a half next time
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
Did not realize when we bought ours but a curb side dinette instead of a roadside dinette personally I would rather look at my patio then my neighbors patio
Not too many out there
DW wants a bath and a half next time
Both of those were on our must have list as well, spend much time in a MH or Camper and things like start to count in a big way
Old 12-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make a list of must haves and nice to haves. The must haves will push you certain models (like side radiator, usually just on higher end coaches). Evaluate candidate coaches based on this.

Include engine chassis features and interior amenities.

Set your budget and go back in years to where prices for target models and your budget intersect.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Road side headboard, curb side dinette, side opening compartment doors, pass thru compartment(s), toilet in a water closet with a tight-fitting door and a mondo exhaust fan. I was NO DEF FO' SHO'! Of course, air ride and air brakes. I also rreally, really really wanted a mid entry DP, and I found one, just the right one. It did not have side radiators or AquaHot, but that's about all I'm missing. And the side radiators mean you lose one compartment, a bigger deal in the shorter DPs, so it's a draw for me in my 40'. I'd like a better engine brake.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
TTD

I was in a similar boat one year ago, and I ended up getting a 2008 Country Coach after reading up on the quality of the coaches... and am very happy.

Right in your price range, side radiator, no DEF, reliable and powerful ISM500 motor - and all the floor plan things I wanted (bath and half, huge shower, two couches, lots of basement storage, side radiator).

I wasn't set in stone on getting a Tag Axle, but I sure do like the way it goes down the road.

Anyway, good luck in your search. We're only a year into our adventure but pleased so far.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post

The problem with DEF is not Sourcing/buying it. The problem is the cost of repair When the system goes to pot. It is just another system to go wrong.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #14

1. Complete maintenance records. See if they have taken good care of the coach.
2. Large refrigerator.
3. Residential sized bed.
4. 3 or 4 slides.
5. Quality manufacturer.
6. Great paint condition.
7. Updated TVs.
8. Floor plan that works.
9. Pass through storage with drawers.

Rear radiator is fine with us.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote