Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
5% of 7 mph is .35 mpg better,,, go prove that!
I'll believe that when the salesman can show the documented proof from a scientifically controlled test.

Q: How can you tell when a salesman is lying?
A: His lips are moving!

Congratulations on you new coach! May you have many happy miles behind the wheel, and many peaceful nights camping in it.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hi Koda!

They did not say the year, but did confirm it has a DPF. Not excited about that, but not a deal changer for me. Nice clean coach, has most everything we want.

This may start some conversation,,,,, but the sales rep said

"Yes, it has a DPF, which is not all bad. You should get 5% better mileage. You won't know its there, unless you allow it to idle for long periods. In which case you will need to go above 55 mph for awhile to clear it out."

5% of 7 mph is .35 mpg better,,, go prove that!

L.
Lloyd
You will probably not have any problems with your DPF. The advice to keep idling at a minimum is probably good advice.What the salesperson said about mileage I find hard to believe. The last print-out I had form my ECM actually recorded
the amount of diesel fuel used by the DPF to burn off the particulates. It is out in the coach and I don't have it handy but Im sure it said something like close to 200 gallons have been used by the DPF system.I think it said 184 gal. Thats in 43000 miles. So how could you get BETTER mileage than a pre-DEF engine??
Beats me. And if it plugs up it doesn't matter haw fast you go you will NOT clean it out. It has to come off and be put in an Oven at 2000 degrees or something like that to clean it out.Where these sales people come up with this crap is wild
Anyway don't be afraid of it many people have no problems. I was just stating the obvious that in the price range you said you were looking for a pre-DEF would offer less to go wrong.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #45

Well, my 2010 ISB has 2007 emissions system, DPF but no DEF. I get 9.9 to 11.5 mpg. It is a fact guys. The newer engine are more efficient.
Lloyd, I recommend that you buy the extended warranty. Two years after I bought my current coach we broke down in Ohio and the extended warranty paid $8600 for repairs. I bought the Cornerstone Ultimate coverage from Lazy Days. The policy cost me $4600. So I've come out ahead.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #46

ChasA, have not yet done that. What happened?

Did get a price from Good Sam this evening on the extended, it was $1,100.00 a year, with a $1,000.00 deductable. May go that route, if a a/c unit dies, or a water heater,,, no coverage. But if we get hit with a big expense like yours, we have coverage. Seemed like a good deal to me.

If we get mileage that good I will be excited! Not familiar with your coach, what does it weigh? Is the 34 for 34'?

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With our Magna with the ISX 650 we get 7.6 mpg (on the VMS) towing the Odyssey which puts us at about 54,000 to 55,000#'s. I would much rather have the DEF than the DPF. The DPF when it goes bad (and it will) will set you back some $2,200.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
The newer engine are more efficient.
That's because of design improvements in the engine, and not directly because of the DPF. Just imagine how much better the mileage would be if it wasn't burning up all that fuel that's necessary to keep the DPF clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I would much rather have the DEF than the DPF.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it's an either/or proposition. Starting in 2007, the DPF was added, and starting in 2010 they added DEF injection but I don't believe they removed the DPF. So, starting in 2010, don't you end up with a DPF and DEF injection?

(I'm happy that my 2007 coach has a 2006 engine, with no DPF or DEF!)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lloyd - not sure if anyone explained the most important reason side radiator coaches don't have overheating issues, as a general rule...

When the coach is going down the road, there is a vacuum of air in the rear caused by the lack of aerodynamics of the coach. This vacuum causes road grime, dirt, and debris to be "sucked" to the rear of the coach. If the radiator is in the rear, this gunk goes into the radiator.

When towing a trailer or toad, this negative air area is magnified as less air naturally slides in behind the coach, it stays traveling down the side of the trailer or toad.

Less fresh air = less natural cooling.

We just bought a '98 American Tradition. We went older so I could have a higher-end coach with certain features on our must-have list, such as a side radiator.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #50

Lloyd,
The bracket that holds the fan pulley broke. It took out the fan clutch the fan blade, the belt and a few other things. Most things were covered by the service contract because I have consequential coverage.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote