Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Used H.R. Scepter or Monaco Camelot. What to look out for ?

Hi everyone!! I'm new to this forum but not to RVs in general. I have had several motor homes from a 1974 FMC 2900R, amazing old coach, to my Living Quarters horse trailer. Haven't had anything like the new to us coach we are looking for and I sure couldcould use some help. So much fantastic information it's hard to know where to start !

I am in the process of finding a 2006-2008 H.R. Scepter or Monaco Camelot 42PDQ. I have been doing as much research as my old brain can handle and decided it might be a good idea to go to the experts on this forum.

If any of you folks have advice for what gremlins to look for in these particular used coaches, I would very much appreciate the input.
Thank you in advance !!

Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Don't remember what year, but the Camelot was shipped from the factory with the front axel overloaded when the coach was empty. I do remember the year was before Monaco was bought out. A friend of mine had one of these, but he has passed away or I would contact him to see what year he had.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you are familiar with the Cummins ISL wrist pin issue (see the Cummins forum). Try to avoid those engines that are within that serial number range. I've had overheating issues but that appears to not be that common. Some have the Jacobs exhaust brake and some have the PacBrake. I switched my Jacobs out to PacBrake and am much happier. We really like our 42 PDQ and haven't found a floor plan that works better for us.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I was about to make an offer on a HR in that year range and asked my RV repair guy if there was anything I should look out for. He said I might check with HR to see if there are front and rear caps available because in one of the sales of the company the molds were not transferred. I called HR parts and was told that the front and rear caps for several years production were not available. I wasn't sure that should scare me off entirely but ended up buying a Tiffin. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the great information !! I can see I need to do more research !!
Greg
Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodark View Post
I was about to make an offer on a HR in that year range and asked my RV repair guy if there was anything I should look out for. He said I might check with HR to see if there are front and rear caps available because in one of the sales of the company the molds were not transferred. I called HR parts and was told that the front and rear caps for several years production were not available. I wasn't sure that should scare me off entirely but ended up buying a Tiffin. Good luck with your search.
Do you plan on wearing one out ?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Do you plan on wearing one out ?
Do you think it's impossible for someone to run into you? Or heaven forbid, you run into something?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #8

We had a 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ.

It had 9000 miles on it when we purchased it. About 20,000 when we traded it.

Rode solid, was stable. We had no issues with the chassis, the 8.9L or the 3000MH. By the way the wrist pin issue was on early ISL engines.
The Roadmaster chassis is dated by some standards when you compare it to the plush ride of a IFS chassis by Spartan or Freightliner. Not trying to ruffle feathers - The Roadmaster is reliable, but not modern.

The doors are not that quiet on the series that you are looking at even with good seals and when properly adjusted.

In our ownership we replaced the following on the coach and will comment on these items;

-water pump (house)
-step motor
-awning motor
-slide toppers, fabric and the thread rots.
-carefully check the moving plumbing and electrical run that moves with the kitchen slide (PDQ floor plan)
-10 shocks - the Monroe's on the Roadmaster are garbage.
-AquaHot Control Board
-Windshield - Prone to leaking and bad seals
-Power Cord Reel Motor
-SaniCon Macerator
-Shower Door Rollers
-Strings on the Day/Night Shades
-Venturi on the gas stove
-Countertop came away from the wall on the kitchen slide
-1 AC unit
-Replaced LCD monitor for the camera system
-Have a good look at the roof seals, that 42' chassis is prone to a lot of flexing - make sure there is no sign of water damage - check the seal/roof just behind the awning rail ahead of the bedroom slide on the curbside.

There were a few other things, please don't get the wrong idea. Stuff can go wrong on any unit. If I was shopping for a "original" Monaco/HR product again I would take the above list with me.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Adam
Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Adam. That is exactly what I was looking for, real world experience !
Greg

Tags
monaco