Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Used MH Deals???

While doing research for a motorhome it is noted a lot about getting about 30% off of the MSRP. But what about used models? Is there an average percentage to get the best deals? This is mainly for dealers not personal models.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Dunno,
but some friends we just camped with surprised us when we drive in and the site they were in had a different coach in it ...

2009 DP with 3 slides and 3K miles on it when they bought last month !!
Dang them, it's NICE and the wife now wants to trade (again !!! )

Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

I don't believe it's much like buying new and the discount. Having said that I have been looking for a newer Class C in the $15k range. When I see something I like I book it out on Nada, compare it to others being sold, look at the recent sales on PPL, and then go look at it. You also have to be patient and have the cash ready to seal the deal. You also have to get used to looking at junk and know what to look for. If you are paying with cash it talks real quick. I also don't look at rigs that are $10K or more out of my price range, because I know they won't come down enough. I also know that this time of year is very difficult for dealers to move stock. In another 4 weeks they will be more willing to take less.

Do your homework, have cash if possible, and be patient.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Can I assume that the best time of the year to buy used MH's from dealers is after they have big sales. A good example is most of the dealers are running end of year sales. The next month or so should have some new (to the dealer) used MH's to sale.

Would this be a safe assumption?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Can I assume that the best time of the year to buy used MH's from dealers is after they have big sales. A good example is most of the dealers are running end of year sales. The next month or so should have some new (to the dealer) used MH's to sale.

Would this be a safe assumption?
Yep. And research the going rates, then drop it to an unacceptable offer. Often, they take it.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Since there is no standard price for a used unit, there is no typical discount either. For that matter, you won't get 30% off MSRP at all (or even most) dealers either. Many will not discount that low because they need a high sales volume to make a steep discount viable.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Since there is no standard price for a used unit, there is no typical discount either. For that matter, you won't get 30% off MSRP at all (or even most) dealers either. Many will not discount that low because they need a high sales volume to make a steep discount viable.
I always seem to catch them hungry. 43% off

Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

I have my used 2005 Monaco dynasty price near 65 % off of MSRP (390,000) with many factory options. On searches that I have done, I am near the high end in price for the 05 dynasty, however I have 2 year new michelins installed and all maintenance is up to date with records. Hope this helps from a private owner.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

I my mind 30% to 35% off new MSRP is doable. But on used, from the research I have done and the best I can determine the mark-up on used units is 10K to 15K. So the dealer will split this mark-up to about 5K over NADA trade-in. I have offered less and they will not deal. Seems they want 5K over NADA trade-in value.

Also - on new, I could not get 30% off MSRP of a Winnebago Adventurer. They came down about 25% and that was it.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check out this web site. Sometimes I see deal here that I find really tempting.

Good luck.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Check out this web site. Sometimes I see deal here that I find really tempting.

Good luck.
I have been looking at prices for the past few months. I finally bought a 2006 Winnebago Journey 39K with 46K miles on it. Cheapest I have seen for a used one online was about a $100K with fewer options than mine and close in mileage. The dealer gave me 4K on a trade sight unseen, which was what I wanted retail before buying a MH. New it was only $5K so that was good. I pick the MH up Friday and only paid $66K for it. I ran NADA and it gave me a $126K low retail and $146K avg. retail on the value.

All in all I think I got a good deal, and only paid roughly 65 percent of retail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 Winnebago Journey 39K.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	31035  
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #12

I always assume that there is a 10% knock off when buying from a private party. I also assume I have to give up 10% when I sell something too.

I will typically pass over ads were somebody has "firm" stated after the price. But, if I have been looking for a long time, I make exceptions. After looking for more than a year, I did buy an expensive collector car from somebody who had firm after the price. I looked and liked the car but he had it priced too high. I just gave him my card with a price on it and said to call me if he didn't get any offers that met his price. Three or four weeks later he called and we settled on a price between my written number and his original price--10% less. I just sold that car to somebody overseas for 10% less than my asking price--it took six months to sell.

If buying used: don't be in a hurry, look at lots of RVs, look up and down from your price category. Looking at lots of RVs will make you certain about what features you: have to have, are nice to have, wouldn't like, and are I wouldn't buy it if the RV had it. Don't dicker price on the phone before you see the item you are buying.

I am a cash buyer of all my vehicles. As a result when selling, I am leery of buyers without cash. So, assuming other private sellers feel the same way--make sure you have financing arranged when you go looking and be be prepared to leave a deposit in the thousand to several thousand dollar range and don't expect to get it back if you back out of the deal.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #13

It isnt the price they come down to that matters. It is your money on the line. I wait for their best-and-final offer, then I give them mine. It usually works

Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Back in 2002 we negotiated a 28% discount off the advertised price of a 7 year old rig. It was a no trade transaction.

In retrospect, we probably overpaid (but we still really like the rig).

A dealer may mark up the asking price to have room to give a higher price on trade so the buyer can roll over their current debt position (upside down) to the new vehicle.

Only the dealer will know how much mark up they have on the asking price.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote