Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Used MH with TV in rear of LR???

We are thinking of buying a used MH but there's one huge problem. In our 5er the TV cabinet is angled for a perfect view from the two recliners in the rear in front of the rear windows. All of the used MH's we have looked at have the TV over the windshield so we would have to sit on the couch and turn sideways to view it. Totally unacceptable! Can anyone suggest a MH with the TV back in the LR, or one with a space in the LR where a flatscreen could be installed ?
We are thinking about a diesel pusher, maybe between 2000 and 2005. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are making units now that have tv's in the living area rather then over the dash but I believe it would have to be a little later model then an 05. I removed our tv from over the dash and now have a flat screen on a table in the living room area. MUCH easier veiwing at that angle than having it up where it used to be. When we get ready to travel I just take it off the table and set it one the floor between our couch and dinette set. Hasn't moved yet when on the road and all have been good with it's operation as well. Hope this might help.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
When we started looking for our "perfect Motor home" we also tried to find one that didn't have the TV stuck in the front windshield. When we did find one, it was a newer unit & frankly the workmanship of these units was very substandard. Forest River makes a model with the tv at an angle & when we took it for a test drive, a bunch of moulding fell off the walls as they were only held on by staples.
We ended up bying a Newmar Dutchstar & will eventually retrofit the tv to a better location.
bmerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We are thinking of buying a used MH but there's one huge problem. In our 5er the TV cabinet is angled for a perfect view from the two recliners in the rear in front of the rear windows. All of the used MH's we have looked at have the TV over the windshield so we would have to sit on the couch and turn sideways to view it. Totally unacceptable! Can anyone suggest a MH with the TV back in the LR, or one with a space in the LR where a flatscreen could be installed ?
We are thinking about a diesel pusher, maybe between 2000 and 2005. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I have a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R (gasser) with the TV behind the passenger seat, angled to the LR. It is at the same level as it would be at home. In other words, if you are sitting in the recliner, it will be a eye level. [Moderator Edit]
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our knight is a front kitchen layout, the tv is in the back wall at normal viewing height.

Its done such that it is not covered when the slides r in. Very rare that.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #6

Hey Joe, I looked around at PPL motor homes and found a couple for you, the first is a Diesel pusher, and has the TV across from the couch. Take a look at the floor plan.

One of the nice things about PPL is they will take your truck and trailer and put it on consignment for you and you can drive off in the new motor home, or they will buy it outright in some cases. Your call.

2004 Discovery By Fleetwood 39B for Sale - D732 - PPL Motor Homes

Then there is this one, it is a gasser, don't know how much you want to spend, but this one is on the low end.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J for Sale - A207 - PPL Motor Homes

Hope this helps you arn't to far away from PPL in Houston, and only a millisecond away via the twisted pair

Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

We have an 04 Rexhall with the TV factory positioned on a cabinet behind the drivers seat yr eye level across from the sofa. I believe almost all Rexhall's were designed this way and are one of the few mid-2000 coaches with this feature. As an added bonus the coach is well made and solid.

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

We have a 99 Gulf Stream Tour Master and the TV is stored on the dash and has a motorized cabinet that lifts its bottom flush with the dash.

I rebuilt the cabinet to hold a 26" LCD TV and DirecTv DVR.
bmrzmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I'm going to add a TV on the side of the Refrigerator. In order to make the most of our one slide, I want to use the captains chairs as part of the living space. Our MH came with a ridiculous buddy chair for the copilot that considering that you have to walk past it every time you enter the coach is just way to big. In addition they mounted it so that when all the way back the front is even with the stairs, but if you move it all the way forward it will touch the dash. So I am going to try to mount it back at least six inches and buy a normal size replacement, this should help in that corner.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Winnebago Vectra/Itasca Horizon 40ad have TV in the right slide behind the passenger seat, at eye level. Very pleasant viewing.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

I bought a light flat screen at Best Buy and when we park I set it on the cabinet opposite the couch. In the evening my wife and I sit in comfort watching the TV at the normal height not high in the air. Cost was 500 bucks. I had the old TV removed and the place where it was had a door made for it and it is now a nice storage cabinet.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think the Allegro's started putting flat screen TV's in the living area until 2008, it wasn't offered in our 2007.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2011 Navastar Monaco Cayman has a 40" flat screen on an angle in the back of the living room area. Only problem is viewing it. The "hide-a-bed" sofa looks straight ahead to the dinette. Only way for a semi good view of it is to turn the drivers and passenger seats around to face the TV. I don't like doing that and you still are not looking at the TV in a "line" of sight direction. So I'm going to take out the "hide-a-bed" couch, and install a motorized love seat recliner and swing out one side so it is parallel to the mid ship TV. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I took out my sofa and put in two euro recliners.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote