Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

Used motorhome prices increasing.

I’ve been watching motorhome prices for a couple years now, specifically the Fleetwood 40g. There has been a dramatic increase in used values. A 2013 40g today for example is $20-$30 even $40k higher than you could of purchased one for a couple years ago.

This is why we decided to buy new but we have a friend looking for a good used coach.

Is the used market that strong right now?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

If he can wait next year will be Many Newer coaches up for sale because of the economy taking a dump. Look at all the company layoffs not to mention the housing market is now beginning to slow down. Its been over 10 years since 2007

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
If he can wait next year will be Many Newer coaches up for sale because of the economy taking a dump. Look at all the company layoffs not to mention the housing market is now beginning to slow down. Its been over 10 years since 2007
x2. The recession is already beginning. I just read that Las Vegas housing is just at the beginning of taking a dump, just like back in 08. Add to that is youngsters taking second mortgages out on their homes in record numbers again. People will be dumping motorhomes left and right in a year or two.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm watching too for the time to move up in coach (used or barely used). I may do it sooner, or later, or not at all we'll see.
But I just heard about a projection that new coach sales are expected to drop 5% in 2019.
Edit: I heard this, I don't have documentation to provide.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #5

Well... you guys are making me feel good about purchasing a new one last month. Lol
Old 12-16-2018, 03:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, new and used coach prices have gone up. We are now at the peak of the boomer retirement cycle and that is what has caused the price spikes. As the others have said, with the approaching recession, prices will take a tumble in very short order.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #7

Maybe some truth,but I think most purchasers are Baby Boomer and they are driving the prices up just like the Harley Davidson craz of 20 years ago. The Boomer don't finance much and have some disposable income. So we"ll just have to see.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Well... you guys are making me feel good about purchasing a new one last month. Lol
While they have their Crystal balls out be sure you get next week's winning lottery numbers.

My prediction for next year is older people will be forecasting doom and gloom. That's not ageism because I'm in that group.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like some here are like chicken little crying out "the sky is falling, the sky is falling."
Prices on used rvs has steadily increased over the last 2 years as well as dealers selling new rvs closer to MSRP. The reason is DEMAND!
We have experienced one weather related calamity after another over the past 2 years affecting not just one regional area of the US but multiple. Consider 2018: we've had multiple hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, fires, etc. destroying homes in at least 4 US regions.
Where are these people going to live? Some will find new living space where they live, though rents have also increased in many areas. Some will move in with family members while some will relocate to areas offering jobs and housing. Some, I believe many are moving to rvs. I say that based on the number of news stories I've seen these past months where people have stated they are going to obtain an rv to park on their property until they rebuild; read classified where people who lost their homes to flooding, fire, etc. are looking for an rv; and others asking for information on rv living.
In addition, I have seen owners sell their rvs faster in the last 12 months than at any time in 40 years of rving. I placed my 2016 Tiffin for sale in November 2016 and it sold in 4 hours. This past May I purchased my first used DP and paid $20,000.00 more than NADA and $10,000 less than competitive dealers.
For all my doom-and-gloomers here in on iRV2 I wish I had your crystal balls. Unfortunately many cook to history claiming that because something happened before it is going to happen again. I like to study history but my experience has taught me that history doesn't necessarily forecast or dictate the future. We should be learning from the mistake people, our we ourselves made that brought heartache and trouble into our life and strive not to perpetuate them. Live and learn was my grandfathers admonition. Its okay to fail just don't do it again was another one he was always saying.
On topic, prices may go up and down as demand dictates and the demand is high right now and only seems to be growing. Basic mathematical equations dictate that it will take California several years to rebuild IF they don't have anymore major fires, floods, earthquakes, etc. The same is true for those ravaged by the hurricanes and floods. But less face it, we will continue to have severe weather and stupid people who like to start fires and watch things burn (only wish it was them).
Add to this increased NEED by those who have suffered misfortune the increased number of younger people who are self employed or working jobs that require them to relocate often who are buying and living in rvs full time the prospects for rv sales is promising for the near future.
My greatest desire is that the number of rvs on the road don't max out the available CG space, but we are already seeing prices increase due to demand.
Enjoy the life while you can - it is changing. Richard
Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
Yes, new and used coach prices have gone up. We are now at the peak of the boomer retirement cycle and that is what has caused the price spikes. As the others have said, with the approaching recession, prices will take a tumble in very short order.
The peak of the boomers was 1958. That means that those boomers are now 60. I think we will see more taking up rving in the next few years. Unless the economy takes a huge hit, I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for rv prices to drop for a few years. They only have gone up for the last couple years, which would indicate the leading edge of the boomers are here. I would say five to seven years from now, they will be getting dumped at a huge discount. The boomers will either be done traveling, or their health will stop them from rving. Just my guess.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
The peak of the boomers was 1958. That means that those boomers are now 60. I think we will see more taking up rving in the next few years. Unless the economy takes a huge hit, I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for rv prices to drop for a few years. They only have gone up for the last couple years, which would indicate the leading edge of the boomers are here. I would say five to seven years from now, they will be getting dumped at a huge discount. The boomers will either be done traveling, or their health will stop them from rving. Just my guess.

This makes sense and the RV salesmen told me they are seeing more and more younger families getting into RV’ing. I don’t know if we fall in that category of “younger” but we are hovering around 40 with a 5 and 6 year old.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #12

I think the numbers of rv owners on the road will increase no matter what the economy does

Less miles traveled and demand for lower priced camping sites will increase dramatically if we do have a recession

Great time for camp ground owners to expand

Newer rigs that get bashed by the higher end cult are going to last longer than the old ones leading to even more on the road or in camp grounds
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #13

If one thinks a recession is coming next year so they wait for lower prices. Then next year it doesn't happen, but some say it's coming the following year, so you wait again. The only result of this is that you just missed two great fun years waiting for the sky to fall. You might not be alive next year or the year after. If it is in your budget to buy that RV now, do it and enjoy it. So what if the price comes down in a year or two? What if it doesn't?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If one thinks a recession is coming next year so they wait for lower prices. Then next year it doesn't happen, but some say it's coming the following year, so you wait again. The only result of this is that you just missed two great fun years waiting for the sky to fall. You might not be alive next year or the year after. If it is in your budget to buy that RV now, do it and enjoy it. So what if the price comes down in a year or two? What if it doesn't?

Agreed. If one waits long enough almost any prediction will come true.

Tags
motorhome