RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Used Motorhome Warranty Info?

Which warranty co do you recommend please.

Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #2

For used motorhomes there is no warranty available. What is available is an Extended Service Contract = ESC. It is a contract with terms and conditions that must be met in order to have a claim paid, somewhat like a life insurance policy.
wholesalewarranties.com seems to be the go-to company for MH ESC's.

You might want an exclusionary contract, it spells out what is NOT covered, by omission everything else is covered. The inclusionary contract spells out what IS covered, by omission everything else is NOT covered.

Opt for the gaskets and seals rider, otherwise if a gasket or seal fails, which causes further damage, nothing is covered because it is called consequential damage from the failed gasket/seal.
Some opt to "self-insure"- ie: save enough money to cover any and all repairs that might arise. I know I don't have that kind of money, if say a motor or transmission requires major repairs or rebuild.
Yes these contracts are expensive to buy, it is for each individual to evaluate and make a decision.
We bought one and it was well worth the money-for us.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Understand fully. Talked to Good-Sam today and got a lot of info.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

Mine is through RVCare, insured by Phoenix America Insurance. Exclusionary. They pay the bill. We have had some different interpretations on what a seal vs a weather seal is. Also, watch for the little exclusion concerning retrofitting, patching or any solution that does not include the original item. I ran into this with a switch that was no longer available. The call centers you get routed through are another experience that can be less than satisfactory. Some can't read the policy correctly. I have found that getting the brokers personal phone number is a big plus. Also calling the insurance company direct helps too. I had to call once for roadside service, which I have, call center said I didn't, called the insurance company and they verified that yes I did have roadside coverage. Service writers tell me this outfit is no worse than the others. Depends on the problem and who answers the call for repairs. If you get the seals coverage make sure the slide seal is covered. First guy at the call center told me yes, turned in the repair and then they said no because they considered it a weather seal. That's the worst example of them not paying, otherwise they pay. Sorry for the lengthy post.
Oh, I didn't get the gasket coverage, had a gasket leak on a hydraulic pump, 10 dollar part, about 600 hundred labor.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

Just so you know, 10% of Service Contract buyers make 90% of the claims. And many of those who opt for the SC never have a claim, but if they do, have trouble getting anything paid for. Good Sam is one of those companies where people often have to fight with them on a claim.

As mentioned Wholesale Warranties has a pretty solid reputation. I've read good things about them. Less so about Good Sam.

If you can pay for the initial contract, out of pocket, you can just put that in the bank and add to it every month. Which is what many recommend. I've heard of people getting a RV loan for an amount that includes the SC for 3-4 years and then bank that without buying the SC. Or they cancel the SC soon after signing for the loan, pay a small fee, and bank the refund. Or, just start putting let's say $175/mo in a bank account during the warranty period if you have one.

The economics and history of SCs favor the company, not the buyer, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do for peace of mind.

Happy travels!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the responses and knowledge. Thanks for the heads up on Good-Sam.

Tags
motorhome, warranty