Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
JDT

Used Motorhomes

I got no response on a competing forum so thought I would try here. Since we sold our motorhome a couple of years ago I quit frequenting the Class A forums so haven't kept up with the latest info. A traveling friend who is not so tech savvy asked me to help him find a newer, used motorhome to replace his older Endeavor.

First, he is looking in the 2010-2012 range for a 40' dp, nicely equipped and no tag axle. I suggested he look at the Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Fleetwood and Winnebago line ups. Are there others? We had a couple of Monaco products but I think they are out of picture.

Second is where to look. I searched a few for sale websites and many were private owners. He is thinking he had rather trade in his old one so probably need to work with a dealer. Location does not matter. Any suggestions on some good, reputable dealers to work with? We searched local dealers but most of them quit handling motorhomes after the economic crunch. Thanks.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim

Have your friend contact these people at the below link. I have heard from several people they go out of their way to satisfy people's needs.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Good luck !

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
MH Search

it could be a crap shoot but have you tried craigs list? you could also try Search Tempest which will search craigs list for what you are looking for and distance you want to search. i have had really good luck there. you could also list the older mh for sale there. craigs list it's free! also ebay and you can choose nearest if you want to find something close. without the old mh you could do better with Cash in hand...just my .02 cents. hope this helps in the search.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Good advice from Zooker. Also try MOT (Motor Homes of Texas) and Foretravel. Foretravel is still in business, has a number of consignments, and also has new coaches for sale. Both MOT and Foretravel are in Nacagdoches, Texas, on Stallings Drive and are highly regarded as reputable dealers.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
X3 Zooker's suggestion. I really like the idea of dealing direct with the owner. You can get a very good idea of how the coach was cared for by talking to them. I also prefer to negotiate with an owner, especially when I am the one with the cash in hand and they are the one looking to sell the thing. I've purchased all of my vehicles and RV's on Craigslist over the past 10 years without any regrets.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Used Motorhomes

He should also check Fountain Hills RV in Fountain Hills, AZ. This is a small family owned (2 people) dealership that handles about 20 pre-owned motorhomes in his inventory. He seeks out units that do not require any major repair to make sellable and they are all low mileage. Tom, the owner, is a real good guy to work with also. He website will take you thru a virtual tour of ever unit on his lot which leaves nothing to the imagination.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #7

Here is another great resource. Lots to choose from !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403456399.963792.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	65921

Curious, why doesn't your friend want a tag ? Never heard of anybody that had a tag wanting to get their next coach without one......except if they were going MUCH SMALLER. But on a 40 foot or longer a tag is the "cats meow" !
Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Demartinirv.com
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
Have your friend contact these people at the below link. I have heard from several people they go out of their way to satisfy people's needs.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Good luck !
Thanks, they have a 2011 Phaeton he is calling about tomorrow. I will check the other sites suggested also.

Not sure why he does not want a tag other than they will be somewhat higher in price. He will be paying cash so I will try to find something on a private sale and encourage him to sell his on his own. A few years ago most of the advice I saw on buying said go for low retail, no options as a final price. Does that still work? I know when I sold our dp two years ago I got close to high retail mainly because it was in such good shape for at that time a 7 year old coach.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
x2 on DeMartini RV. I'd ask to speak to Nate Davey.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
used deals

you might also keep in mind the dealer is selling a unit and may not have even been inside it. they may say all the right words you want to hear but remember they are trying to sell a unit. even though they say it's been checked out YOU will never know until YOU use it. what was really checked out? most private owners will be able to tell you of quirks and other issues they have dealt with. oh yea don't forget about those new tire dated 1999...6 tires don't come cheap these days. don't get me wrong there are good dealers out there who will do what they say and will go the extra mile. hope the replies are helping. van campers b's,c's and a's have all come because of craigslist. we started small then just kept moving up. had fun with all of them too!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #12

I bought our first MH at PPL in Houston, good experience. If you are in are in OK. Look at I-35 RV in Denton. I would suggest you also look at a Forest River Berkshire or Legacy (only those with the larger engine)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I had a great experience at Orlando RV in Winter Park Fl. They went the extra mile to make me happy and gave me a great deal. Low retail was 112K and I got it for 85K and they fixed everything that needed it.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #14

Since you said that location doesn't matter, let me suggest General RV in Wayland, Michigan. I've dealt with them for both our current purchase, and for service. I've been completely satisfied with both. If you are interested send me a pm and I will provide you with the name of the salesperson we dealt with. Very low pressure and seemed anxious to accommodate our needs. BTW they have access to their nationwide inventory.

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome