Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #15

Previous poster is absolutely correct, on Internet forums see mostly people that have had nightmares.

I have purchased several used motorhomes and never had any major issues....minor things and routine maintenance only.

Current coach, the 2007 Fleetwood Expedition has been a joy to own and drive and have had very few issues in 3+ years.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #16

Just because a MH has low mileage, does not mean it has not been "used". Mileage is only one aspect of chassis wear and tear; MHs are not cars where mileage is a significant single factor in accessing wear and tear.

Many are only driven 3k-4k a year, which is one trip from "home" to FL or AZ, and back again each year, but they have been lived in for 6 months each year, not to mention sitting in the AZ sun or FL sun and humidity for 6 months at a time. So the house systems may be very used, add in pet smells, aging rubber seals, hoses, tires, etc., out of date entertainment systems and interior decor, etc., there is a lot more to consider than just mileage.....

And, do you really want or need a 40'+ MH (that is pushing 10 years old) vs. a newer smaller gasser that will fit your needs just fine? No single or perfect answer to that......

As a side note, happened to walk though a 2006 40'+ DP with 40,000 miles that I think they were asking about $120k. I won't mention the brand because I don't want to offend anyone, but there is no way I would give up my new little gasser for it.............

Good luck!

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #17

Speaking of having problems with coaches, I'd much rather have a problem with a 10-12 year old coach that I got a great deal on, vs. one I spent MUCH more money on that's now just out of warranty. Stuff happens, and I'm of the notion it's no more likely to happen on a well cared for older coach than a much newer/more expensive one.

I do almost all of my own work on ours, leaving only the heaviest chassis work to the pros. If you are able and willing to do the same, I believe older coaches are an incredible value. No experience with the latest generation gassers, but knowing what I know based on the older gas, I would go diese again without hesitation. The more you know about them, the better you like them.

Many/most will struggle getting financing on anything 10 years old and older. If you're in a position to pay cash, this age is where the big values start. As people that need to finance have all but been eliminated from the market, people selling older coaches have no choice but to try and lure in cash buyers with great deals.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Seems like people have a lot of problems with used coaches.
You have heard from 8 or 9 with negative experiences here and at least one with a good experience. Now consider how many used coaches are bought and people have no problems. They don't usually post on these forums. They are happy just doing normal maint. on their coaches. I chose to spend the money to get all my baseline maint. done. IMost everyone here has also indicated that it has been worth it to them. Look at some of the trends. Cummins ISX engines have a lot of folks complain but there are thousands of them out there and a hundred (for discussion only) complaints on the forums. The majority are having good experiences. Look at the forums, there are hundreds of complaints on brand new coaches. People buy and then never drive them off the lot because they are broken! Do your research, have the one you want to buy inspected by a professional and have fun!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
You will typically get more coach for your money buying a used DP than you will new gas. Bigger, more storage, more towing and hauling capacity, quieter ride. But they are also more expensive to maintain. So look at all aspects of ownership, how you plan to use it, floor plans.

I've never owned a diesel, but have bought several used mh's and have various degrees of issues with all of them. Depends a lot on how previous owners maintained them. Folks have issues with new as well.
I was in the same position you are in at one time I could buy new gas or use diesel I bought used diesel never regretted it you put it on paper gas is a better deal dollar wise I don't care what anyone says.I am on my second used diesel knowing that
Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #20

I understand I will have issues. I have issues with my brand new 2014 travel trailer. I have also learned about the depreciation issue.

I appreciate the feedback. My wife and I love camping and fishing with the 4 kids. My entertainment dollars go to the trailer, maintenance of the expedition, camping fees, maintenance, insurance, etc. We are excited to upgrade to a motorhome, but want something that will last a while.

From what I can see there is always the chance to get a problem rv, but I am not seeing any real greater risk with a used coach than a new one.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would much rather have a good used DP than a new gas burner! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Bottom line IMO is you will get your monies worth if you get what you want and enjoy it. Life is too short to be worried about getting the best 'bargain'. Dont spend foolishly but get what you want.

Too many opinions that fit the posters needs and rationale.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #23

Quote:
We are thinking of getting a used DP instead of a new gas. We are seeing some in the 2007-2008 model years that are in the same price range as a new gas MH. We are finding many DP with astoundingly low mileage, 10k to 30k. At first we were really set on a new gas MH, but as we look more and more at a used DP, we are increasingly being impressed. We are taking our time, looking at units and going to take our time and make the best decision. 30k miles on a diesel engine, is virtually nothing. All thoughts on your experience are purchasing used is welcome.
I am in the used MH camp, in fact, I would never consider buying a new one. The best thing you have going is that you are willing to take your time with your purchase.

I have owned 5 Class A's over the past 40 years. 4 were gassers and my current unit is a 2004 Newmar DSDP 4011. I will never go back to a gasser after owning a diesel.

I would offer the following "rules" I follow when buying. (My rules only!!)
1. I never buy from a dealer.
2. I always buy from the owner and usually the "original" owner from new.
3. I always buy a coach that has been stored inside when not on the road.
4. I always buy a coach with full body paint.
5. I try to find MH's with new or low time tires and batteries.
6. Maintenance records are important, but talking with owner who knows the maintenance history is much more important.
7. I always buy "pre emission control" engines.
8. I always buy one with a side mounted radiator.
9. I always buy with cash.

Here is our recent coach. Had 30K miles and bought for $80K following the rules above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	108065   Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	108066  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
We are thinking of getting a used DP instead of a new gas. We are seeing some in the 2007-2008 model years that are in the same price range as a new gas MH. We are finding many DP with astoundingly low mileage, 10k to 30k. At first we were really set on a new gas MH, but as we look more and more at a used DP, we are increasingly being impressed. We are taking our time, looking at units and going to take our time and make the best decision. 30k miles on a diesel engine, is virtually nothing. All thoughts on your experience are purchasing used is welcome.
You're right and used is the way to go IMO. Always have, always will.
Now you could even save more on a high end gas model with low mileage and depending on your needs and how long you expect to keep it. There are some nice Newmar gas pullers out there with 1 1/2 baths even.
DP's definitely cost more to maintain, so how many miles driving it per year to justify it?
Do you require a min, of 40ft in length?
Will hearing the engine running between the front seats be a bother to you and it's not to us, except when screaming up long 6% grades?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #25

We go camping at least once a month about 60 to 80 miles from home with the TT. We want to increase the distance when we get a MH. We have 4 kids, but have decided that we want to do something that is not bunks. Really I do not care if we needed to pull out a couple of camping cots for them to sleep.

We have been stuck a few times in the rain in the TT. We do family movie nights so have a bit of space to sit is all and move around is why we want to upgrade.

I am the one looking used, the DW is just coming around to the idea. She is worried about the unknown, but i figure what the hell. I like the idea of the DP so that I can keep it for many years to come or lifetime.

We are looking for something 30 to 36 ft. Can sleep six and that is clean, pet and smoke free. Big thing is we are willing to wait until the absolute right rig shows up on the market and get what we want in function and style.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Seems like people have a lot of problems with used coaches.
With all due respect, if you can make this kind of statement after reading this short thread then buying a used DP probably isn't for you. If you are going to focus only on the negatives, then you will quickly become disenchanted.

OTOH there are literally dozens of similar threads on this and similar RV forums with hundreds of responses, many of them from folks, like us, who have purchased high quality, used DPs and are glad we did. MHs such as ours, with solid wood cabinetry and huge 12 liter engines, are hardly available today at any price, let alone at one we could afford.

Ours was 10 years old when we bought it and had ~55,000 miles. It's now going on 16 years and 102,000 miles and runs better now than it did then. The heavily clear-coated paint still causes people to ask us if it is new. Have we had any problems? Of course we have, but not significantly more than we could well have had with a much newer coach.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We go camping at least once a month about 60 to 80 miles from home with the TT. We want to increase the distance when we get a MH. We have 4 kids, but have decided that we want to do something that is not bunks. Really I do not care if we needed to pull out a couple of camping cots for them to sleep.

We have been stuck a few times in the rain in the TT. We do family movie nights so have a bit of space to sit is all and move around is why we want to upgrade.

I am the one looking used, the DW is just coming around to the idea. She is worried about the unknown, but i figure what the hell. I like the idea of the DP so that I can keep it for many years to come or lifetime.

We are looking for something 30 to 36 ft. Can sleep six and that is clean, pet and smoke free. Big thing is we are willing to wait until the absolute right rig shows up on the market and get what we want in function and style.
4 kids, better consider 40+ft. LOL opposing slides are great too. If you buy a 30 now and discover that you need a 40 later you will be doing all this again! Consider is all I am suggesting.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We go camping at least once a month about 60 to 80 miles from home with the TT. We want to increase the distance when we get a MH. We have 4 kids, but have decided that we want to do something that is not bunks. Really I do not care if we needed to pull out a couple of camping cots for them to sleep...
If this is a camping style you can live with, I would recommend a gas engined toy hauler. You can put all your sports gear back in the toy haul section, as well as multiple cots for the kids. I believe Newmar and several other manufacturers make one in the 36-38 foot range.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes