Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Manufacturers only build what they can sell, and the largest and most expensive motor homes are built for a crew of two who share a bedroom.

We have a 40' DP and travel with two daughters who are 8 and 11. Finding space for four in a motorhome designed for two is a challenge. Adding two more children to the entourage could be quite an ordeal. Bunks seem to be a huge advantage. We are adding them to accommodate our girls. If I were in your shoes, and were willing to spend the money, I would look at the newest Fleetwood Excursion 35E. It has two bunks and an optional bed above the front seats. This floorplan may have been available in 2014, and I know it is in '15-'16. Fleetwood has also made the Discovery with bunks, but I don't know much about them.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #30

Used Motorhomes

We are in a 30 ft TT right now, 36 ft plus should be ok. The opposing slides on the DPs seems to be a nice feature.

We have a lot more reading to do any more advice would be appreciated.

Are there any manufacturers we should look for?

Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the most important thing for you to consider is floor plan. Take the kids and go sit in a few MH at a dealers. Ditch the salesman. Now pretend you have to spend a couple days because of inclement weather. Will the layout work.

Floor plan is more important than length.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We bought a used MH gasser and the only issue was ball joints and front tires. Something we knew at purchase. It runs great, drives good, but I did my homework before I found one that was taken care of. 7 months of looking!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #33

4 MHs, 23 years, well over 125,00 miles, 2 gas, 2 diesel, loved them all, no major issues.
Diesel costs a bit more to buy and maintain, but is all comes back to you in comfort, luxury, and longevity.
We all do what we gotta do, what we feel is right for the moment and the time.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #34

You also don't hear about gas mh longevity. When I saw how worthless our mh was at 100k, we drove it another 100k to get our moneys worth out of it. Never have had to do a major repair, just bolt on items. Now the kids are enjoying the old beast. This fall I will do the largest repair job ever made on this 22 year old rv, a new radiator. Gas mhs are simply not that fragile if taken care of and driven with common sense. Plus they are very cheap to maintain. I have met many gas rv owners that get similar service out of their rigs.
I happen to like the dps, they have nice advantages, plus I love the sound of diesel engines. When shopping for our new rv I was gobsmacked at the seemingly good value of used dps. They are just too large to go where we want to go.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
You also don't hear about gas mh longevity. When I saw how worthless our mh was at 100k, we drove it another 100k to get our moneys worth out of it. Never have had to do a major repair, just bolt on items. Now the kids are enjoying the old beast. This fall I will do the largest repair job ever made on this 22 year old rv, a new radiator. Gas mhs are simply not that fragile if taken care of and driven with common sense. Plus they are very cheap to maintain. I have met many gas rv owners that get similar service out of their rigs.
I happen to like the dps, they have nice advantages, plus I love the sound of diesel engines. When shopping for our new rv I was gobsmacked at the seemingly good value of used dps. They are just too large to go where we want to go.

Yep. Had two gassers that served me well and long.
Best not try to follow my tracks in my 42 DP, as we "fit" better than most may think. IMHO, of course.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Have to agree with Dave. Parking a longer MH is not as difficult as many would have you believe.

IMO many "restrictions" are due to past difficulties some drivers have experienced in parking their rigs. We have all watched the parking dance at campgrounds. Mostly lack of practice with the unit before taking off on the trip. Parking is a skill that must be maintained. Unfortunately many people will purchase a unit and drive it out of the dealership with the salesman's words echoing in their ears "it is easy, no worries".
Old 09-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #37

Bought our 10 yr old Navigator a year and a half ago..A comparable new coach is in the 3 to 400 (or more?
) price category..Sure, maybe not the best floor plan but we love this thing..So far, have put 10,000 miles on it, after buying at 70,000 miles......Minor oil leak and maintenance fixed and done...
Oh yes new tires, now that's an expense,,so be mindful of that after purchase cost..
Cannot justify cost of a new one. However with that said I am aware that a 10 year old MH can begin to have major problems, ie. Hydraulics, Aqua hot, compressors etc..So have a warranty..
Good luck to you and see the Beauty of America as fast as you can.
frank
Old 09-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #38

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post
Cannot justify cost of a new one. However with that said I am aware that a 10 year old MH can begin to have major problems, ie. Hydraulics, Aqua hot, compressors etc..So have a warranty..
Lots of people on these forums recommend warranties but we priced several for our MH and decided that it was likely to be a lot cheaper to "self insure" and that decision was borne out by life. Furthermore, a warranty company will want to repair, rather than replace things and we've usually opted for upgrading and updating whenever there have been repairs needed. For example, our dying 2kW Xantrex modified sine wave inverter has been replaced by a 2.8kW pure sine wave Magnum. No warranty company would have agreed to that. Similarly, when the 10 yr old Splendide sprung a few leaks, we replaced it with the much more capable current model; again something which warranty companies don't usually agree to do. Sure, you'd get them to provide the estimated cost of repair of the old unit, but not without a lot of discussion. I like being able to simply do what I want without having to consult anyone.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #39

docj,
Thanks for that..I have been considering this. For example that small oil leak was a gasket and warranty would not help with that $900 price tag..I am on the verge of following your lead..
My fear is a catastrophic expense but like you have concluded a 5 or 6 year premium payment could cover this..
frank
Old 09-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
I think a major consideration that has been touched on-MH maintenance is of two natures- you either write cheques or DIY. If you write cheques the service person will seldom get creative in a solution- they most times want a straight one for one replaceable part. If DIY you get the option to upgrade or provide an alternate/better solution. After 50 years where we started "building our own" in a school bus to 3 factory gassers and 3 diesels- we enjoy the diesel too much to ever consider gas- and we like our slightly shorter 36' that we take anywhere it can physically travel. Also being as it is used if I happen to scratch it on a tree branch I won't end up weeping like I would with a beauty of a new unit. One piece of good advice- look for pre- pollution control for less problems and better performance. On our current 13 yr old unit we change oil and filters and try to wear it out.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Seems like people have a lot of problems with used coaches.
Seems like people have a lot of problems with new coaches.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had very good luck with gassers. traded our 05 with 150k on it and mileage really didn't effect the value given. Our 2014 has 20k already and hasn't missed a beat. In 170k total mileage, I have done nothing but oil and filter changes, chassis lube, air filters, tires,battery, a brake switch and serpentine belt. All maintenance performed by me except for tires done at a friends shop. Almost forgot, broke a sway bar bolt on the new one at 5000 miles. I should say lost it, don't think it was tight from the factory. I would not hesitate to buy a gasser with with miles as well as it was maintained. I keep a written log of everything performed from maintenance to accessories. I keep all the tabs from the filter boxes to prove it as well. Log goes to new owner when sold.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes