Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Used Motorhomes

We are thinking of getting a used DP instead of a new gas. We are seeing some in the 2007-2008 model years that are in the same price range as a new gas MH. We are finding many DP with astoundingly low mileage, 10k to 30k. At first we were really set on a new gas MH, but as we look more and more at a used DP, we are increasingly being impressed. We are taking our time, looking at units and going to take our time and make the best decision. 30k miles on a diesel engine, is virtually nothing. All thoughts on your experience are purchasing used is welcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

You will typically get more coach for your money buying a used DP than you will new gas. Bigger, more storage, more towing and hauling capacity, quieter ride. But they are also more expensive to maintain. So look at all aspects of ownership, how you plan to use it, floor plans.

I've never owned a diesel, but have bought several used mh's and have various degrees of issues with all of them. Depends a lot on how previous owners maintained them. Folks have issues with new as well.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
We are thinking of getting a used DP instead of a new gas. We are seeing some in the 2007-2008 model years that are in the same price range as a new gas MH. We are finding many DP with astoundingly low mileage, 10k to 30k. At first we were really set on a new gas MH, but as we look more and more at a used DP, we are increasingly being impressed. We are taking our time, looking at units and going to take our time and make the best decision. 30k miles on a diesel engine, is virtually nothing. All thoughts on your experience are purchasing used is welcome.
Freddie..
Not to mention you will save $$$ on depreciation.. A new anything will will drop like a rock. While the used one a few years old will depreciate at a much slower rate!
I happen to fell a used DP coach is a great bargain really.. Look at used high line coaches and there are plenty of gems out there.. I know I bought one a few years ago..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is a break-in period during the first year of a new coach that typically requires several visits to the dealer for warranty work. Buying used means someone else had that pleasure. Bought ours a year ago and it has been delightful. When we come home, the wife always wants to go back "out there". You'll see this advice throughout this forum - make sure you get the right floor plan regardless of the fuel type. Researching and buying a coach can be great fun. Enjoy!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The main thing is finding a floor plan and color scheme you can live with. If you are happy with the price then anything you buy will work for you.

Things like residential fridge, washer/dryer, dishwasher, tv, lighting are all things you can order in a new coach but you have to find the combination in a used unit.

Buy whatever you like.

IMO depreciation is a misleading quantity that many tout as rationale. You lose nothing unless you sell. If you get what you want and keep it for the duration the depreciation is manageable. You do not save the depreciation on a used unit, you pay less for a unit that has been used, and hopefully been well treated and maintained.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I bought mine almost 2 years ago with 34K on it. No major problems but! If no maintenance records be prepared to spend some money. I've spent about 9K or so on all new synthetic fluids, zirks, brakes, Extended life coolant, generator service, all of it! But now I have a baseline for records. Also be aware of tires and how old they are. Good luck.
gemert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

How many miles is too many miles on a DP? On a used gas?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #8

Imagine how much more coach you could get if you bought a used gasser? With a 30k gasser the only real chassis maintenance to have been done were just oil changes...
Old 09-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Obviously this is just my opinion.
Used dp, 170,000 would start to concern me.
Used gas, 70,000 I wouldn't consider.
Smaller gas, let's say 30' maybe ok but a gas engine pulling around a 38' coach is working pretty hard.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
I would agree if the maintenance was kept up. I also looked for used DP that were 9-10 years old and found a lot with low mileage but only a few with up-to-date maintenance records.

I even found one with only 1200 miles on it but it had sat in the yard for years with no starting or maintenance.

Also as you have read above, tires can set you back at least 3500 bucks or more without a tag axle.

I bought a 2006 in February of this year and on the way home the turbo went out. A week stranded in New Mexico and almost $6,000 later it was fixed.

Then I had to put tires on it as the others were 7 years old and then the fluid changes and chassis maintenance was another $1,000.

So within the first 3 months of owner ship I put close to $11,000 in a used motorhome that is 9 years old. It only had 42,000 miles on when I bought it.

Also we took it to Florida and then Colorado so we have enjoyed it so far.

Anyway, as you have read from previous posts, you buy a motorhome because you want one. Then you enjoy it or get rid of it. Either way you make the decision as to what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to put into it. In the end you will get 100% enjoyment camping but less than that paying for its up keep.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Well, our Magna only has 45,000 miles on it, so far it's had two top end rebuilds and three turbo's. Something over $60,000 in repairs but the first top end and two turbo's were for the first owner and under warranty, the last one we paid for. Not cheap even after Cummins tossed $10,400 in on it.
Our '02 Dutch Star had about the same miles on it and had had NO repairs even though I put a Banks kit on it at about 25,000 miles.
Love the power of the present ISX, but NOT happy with the repairs that have been needed so early in it's life.
I know of another ISX (in an '08) that the new owner spent $20,000 getting it running and less than 25 miles after leaving a Cummins shop it put a rod through the crankcase. That cost an add'l $44,000.
Oh yes, Cummins knows of the defects but won't do a recall on them so you're pretty much on your own with them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:36 AM   #12

Seems like people have a lot of problems with used coaches.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Go to the brand forums and check out what the new coach owners say. You will find plenty of problems there also. We bought a 2005 four years ago. It had 78K miles, now 111K.) No major problems. We have replaced some of the systems (jacks, A/C, etc), but most have been covered by our EtraRide policy.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
You are hearing ONLY of the problems. Very few people report that they are not having any issues (new or used). So, let's fix that. I've purchased two used MH's (the first a gasser and my current DP) and have had no major issues. Really no issues that are unexpected (I expect there to be minor maintenance type things).

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes