Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Used Newmar

My wife and I are looking at a 2013 Newmar 30' class A with 24,000 miles. I've spoken to the previous owner who was very informative and convinced me to make the 4 hour one way trip to take a look. What thoughts do RV'ers have with purchasing an RV that old?
Patrick Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

That’s not old at all just have it inspected. We have one that’s much older 2004 Gasser good RV just remember most have some problems. After all how else would the repair shop make money!
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cook View Post
My wife and I are looking at a 2013 Newmar 30' class A with 24,000 miles. I've spoken to the previous owner who was very informative and convinced me to make the 4 hour one way trip to take a look. What thoughts do RV'ers have with purchasing an RV that old?
13 is barely broken in. I had an 03 DSDP that was solid as a rock. Just wanted a smaller rig but miss our old Dutchstar.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

I bought a 2005 Newmar in 2014 and I could immediately tell the owners loved the coach and were meticulous in its care. A 2013 is not that old.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

We found our 2013 Ventana DP about a year ago. Actually sometimes difficult to find them around that age. It's perfect in my opinion - old enough the previous owners have taken a big depreciation hit and its not that old that it's beat (assuming PO kept it in decent condition)
We sold a 2003 to a local couple just getting into MHing and it is serving them well - I see them from time to time and the '03 is still doing well.
Similar to real estate - w/ RV's (&boats) the top 3 things to consider are...

condition, condition, condition
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #6

We were happy to find our 2012 Bay Star and it was almost like new. It had been used but well taken care of and we were also able to transfer an extended warranty. The overall quality of Newmar motorhomes including the entry level Bay Star can make them a much better buy than some other motorhomes that are half as old! But....that's just my opinion. And, as suggested, a professional inspection is advisable unless you really know what to look for and have some experience.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #7

Would not really consider it old....just get an inspection.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #8

That's not old in my opinion.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:42 AM   #9

By OP's standards my '07 is ancient.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
My 2002 must be an antique. It is in great shape and has a lot of quality parts and construction. 2013 is definitely not in the old category.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my 2005 3 years ago when it was 10 yr old. Its been a good coach, although I did have to replace the roof due to the fact the original owner didn't maintain it properly causing leaks that damaged the decking.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #12

Just returned from viewing and test driving the 2013 Newmar. I also spoke directly with the previous owner who did not steer me wrong when he explained the history of the unit. My wife and I feel the layout is fine with plenty of storage space. The test drive went well with all systems that we checked working properly. Before we proceed, I feel an independent inspection should be done. The dealer stated they have an inspection process but I'm not sure if that is the most trustworthy. Has anyone been in this situation? If you feel like me and think an independent inspection is worth the investment, then which inspection agency would be worth perusing?
Patrick Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #13

Older Motor Home

We got an 2002 Newmar Kountry Star back during the summer. It has been drove but taken care of too. Every thing works on it it runs and drives great and new tires on. We have had a few little things but nothing major and I have fixed all them myself. Hope you find what you are looking for.
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cook View Post
Just returned from viewing and test driving the 2013 Newmar. I also spoke directly with the previous owner who did not steer me wrong when he explained the history of the unit. My wife and I feel the layout is fine with plenty of storage space. The test drive went well with all systems that we checked working properly. Before we proceed, I feel an independent inspection should be done. The dealer stated they have an inspection process but I'm not sure if that is the most trustworthy. Has anyone been in this situation? If you feel like me and think an independent inspection is worth the investment, then which inspection agency would be worth perusing?
If you like the layout, have driven it and tried all the appliances I would have the dealer go through their process but in addition would take it to a reputable truck shop for a mechanical inspection on the chassis, engine and power train. Also have to have the tires checked for cracking and age. This is the area that could cost the big bucks to fix later. The results may also work in your favour as a bargaining chip. Good Luck.

Tags
newmar