Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Used Prevosts

How many miles can these diesel engines last? Was watching RV Nation just now and realized we have a luxury custom coach builder here. They have some used ones listed. I know they are over a million new, just curious how many miles before they need to "retire".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Used Prevosts are primarily on bus chassis with Detroit 60s engines, later the Volvo D13. These are over million mile engines, IMHO.

Others with Prevosts will hopefully add to this thread. I aspire to a Prevost conversion.

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

A Prevost is a true custom built rig. Just like Newell or Foretravel. Built either on their own chassis or a Bus chassis. If taken care of they can last decades. Got a buddy who has a 96 Prevost built by Marathon. Other than looking like a playhouse for Prince on the inside it is real nice. 😜 My rig is 20yrs old and interior is still in one piece. Walnut interior still looks great. Engine, a Cummins 300hp just purrs. Hasn't burnt any oil in a year on the road, none! These old rigs may need some updates but if their engine and chassis are good, they will outlive you...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

Thanks! It won't be our first one but maybe when hubs retires we can grab one. Meanwhile I am going to keep checking that page....just in case! They listed the miles on one but did not on another...was just curious how much life it had left.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you will never wear the engine out
Prevost will be our next coach
Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

I was told the mileage ratings on a Prevost coach and if memory serves me... the engines are 1 million + miles and the chassis is good for 3 million+. The guy I was talking too only had about 600,000 on the his and it still looked good. Take care of it and it should be good for a couple of generations of camping.

Aaron
Old 03-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

There is no RV family, or an individual that can wear out Prevost. As other posters stated, they are good for 3 million miles on the chassis, and about 1 million on the engine, providing that the rig was taken care off.

Two days after New Year, I drove 1100 miles to TX to buy one. I drove, because about half way there, I was picking up retired Prevost mechanic, who clocked over 300K miles in one (flying just wouldn't work, and there was some weather in the area at the time too). I know cars, motorcycles, and airplanes well,....but Prevost?

Anyway,.....the bus lived its life in Montana. Previous owner (in his late 70s), tasked his son (who lives in TX) to sell it. Beautiful rig. On the outside, and the interior. However,......it was driven in the snow up north, and not washed regularly,......hence RUST! All storage/equipment compartment structural beams were rusted through. BIG disappointment, because I was not looking for a "fixer upper".

Drove straight North to Albuquerque, and purchased 1995 Vogue Prima Vista instead. Very, very happy with her! She is on the custom chassis (not a speck of rust!), 40' long, and it's been pushed by 3176 (350HP) Cat tamed by 6 speed Alison World. Absolutely GORGEOUS inside and out. And it's 21 years old, to be 22 in September! Has 100K on the clock, new tires, new batteries, and 10K Isuzu diesel genset.

These older "bus conversions" (Prevost, Vogue, Foretravel, Newell,....etc.) are built differently than most of the modern coaches, and one should do himself a favor, and go test drive few of them. There is no way I can EVER wear out this Prima Vista. If one can live without slides (or doesn't like them like me!),......these gems from the past deserve closer look. They also have a lot less electronics on them (a plus in my book), but when you compare 1995 Vogue, next to 2010 anything, ....there is no difference in features! This one has Webasto, Aquahot, auto leveling, HUGE tanks, res fridge, etc. The only outdated equipment is audio/video "entertainment" system, and wife and I don't care about TV much anyway. If one does, how easy is to replace that? Unless you are looking at 2010 and newer coach, entertainment system is already outdated.

There is one Prevost Vogue on RV Trader right now (Vogue and Prevost have a long history together), and if we are still on the market for one, I'd be on my way! But wife and I are both thrilled with this one, and won't be looking for anything else any time soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PrimaVista.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	121320  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Be aware that the "million miles" is between major engine rebuilds only. It does not mean you can go a million miles without any engine-related difficulties, e.g. fuel pumps (lift and injection), radiator,. starter, alternator, water pump, etc. And that million miles also assumes regular maintenance - the owner needs to care for it!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Used Prevosts

They will last as long as you have the money to maintain them properly. Better have a lot. $$$$$
Old 03-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
They will last as long as you have the money to maintain them properly. Better have a lot. $$$$$

I still haven't found a vehicle (ANY vehicle) that WILL last a long time without proper maintenance. It sure costs money (I wonder what doesn't?). Perhaps my opinion on this forum? Or anyone's opinion?

As the previous poster said,......."peripherals" (alternators, radiators, pumps, relays....etc.) WILL have to be replaced as their "life expectancy" is exhausted. That goes for ANY vehicle, modern or vintage. Personally, I prefer vintage. I "zero it out" (meaning bringing ALL systems up to date, and complete service of EVERYTHING regardless of previous maintenance records), and after that it's just "upkeep".

Let me try to put that into perspective (e.g. vintage Prevost vs. new). New ones (which I personally don't like because of funky paint schemes, slides, and various other things), can be had for 2.3 Million, or somewhere around that. Let's say one has 2 Mill for "play money" (or put here your available amount in your personal "play money" fund). One can purchase VERY slightly used Prevost (mid 90s) for about 200K, barely broken in. The difference between these two prices, (properly invested) WILL make enough profit in couple of years, that the "used" Prevost will be free.

We can enter ANY coach in this equation. "Buy" new one for 200K ("buy" in parenthesis because MOST people don't "buy" them,.....banks own them). Make payments for (any number here) years, and watch the coach deteriorate and lose value. Or,........buy the SAME (or better!) coach for 20K (cash), "zero it out" for another ten (cash), and have the coach as good as new, and money invested. Buying ANY vehicle is not an "investment" (except in the case of rare/classic/"special" cars in the caliber of Barrett-Jackson).

What each of us does with his/her money is everyone's personal decision. I made mine long time ago. It works for me,......your situation might be entirely different.

Disclaimer: Wording "you", "your", etc. in this post is NOT directed toward anyone in particular, in this thread, or anywhere on this forum.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BlueBird Wanderlodge is the same way (custom built on bus chassis)..there are PLENTY over 30,35 yrs olds still going strong. Mine is young at 20yrs old and still works like new (been very well cared for though). As has been said they will last forever, but parts ain't cheap (it's class 8 truck parts not 1 ton truck parts!). I'd say with any half way decent class A the engine is the least of your worries...usually the vehicle falls apart around the chassis. Buy an old one with a steel body and you just get to worry about keeping it running
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
A Prevost is a true custom built rig.
That's the good thing and that's the bad thing. I've been in some that are great and some that I couldn't live in like the one I saw with a spiral staircase entry and some other oddball decorations.

One thing I haven't really understood is that they have a cockpit with a forward seat which can't be turned around.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agian my two cents.

If you are thinking about buying a used Prevost and doing you own conversion I would say be aware that a unit that has been retired from a fleet, probably has not seen a lot of maintenance leading up to removal from the fleet.
Make sure you know what to look for. As stated they run forever with proper maintenance .
If you are thinking about one that has been converted since new. Go for it, as stated no family would ever wear it out, we just don't live that long!
But as with everything, BUYER BEWARE.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I still haven't found a vehicle (ANY vehicle) that WILL last a long time without proper maintenance. It sure costs money (I wonder what doesn't?). Perhaps my opinion on this forum? Or anyone's opinion?

As the previous poster said,......."peripherals" (alternators, radiators, pumps, relays....etc.) WILL have to be replaced as their "life expectancy" is exhausted. That goes for ANY vehicle, modern or vintage. Personally, I prefer vintage. I "zero it out" (meaning bringing ALL systems up to date, and complete service of EVERYTHING regardless of previous maintenance records), and after that it's just "upkeep".

Let me try to put that into perspective (e.g. vintage Prevost vs. new). New ones (which I personally don't like because of funky paint schemes, slides, and various other things), can be had for 2.3 Million, or somewhere around that. Let's say one has 2 Mill for "play money" (or put here your available amount in your personal "play money" fund). One can purchase VERY slightly used Prevost (mid 90s) for about 200K, barely broken in. The difference between these two prices, (properly invested) WILL make enough profit in couple of years, that the "used" Prevost will be free.

We can enter ANY coach in this equation. "Buy" new one for 200K ("buy" in parenthesis because MOST people don't "buy" them,.....banks own them). Make payments for (any number here) years, and watch the coach deteriorate and lose value. Or,........buy the SAME (or better!) coach for 20K (cash), "zero it out" for another ten (cash), and have the coach as good as new, and money invested. Buying ANY vehicle is not an "investment" (except in the case of rare/classic/"special" cars in the caliber of Barrett-Jackson).

What each of us does with his/her money is everyone's personal decision. I made mine long time ago. It works for me,......your situation might be entirely different.

Disclaimer: Wording "you", "your", etc. in this post is NOT directed toward anyone in particular, in this thread, or anywhere on this forum.

To each his own. I wouldn't prefer a 20 + year old $20,000 RV. I would prefer a 5 year old RV, maintained well by the previous owner, and paid for cash at more than 50% off the original selling price. All kinds of stuff wears out in a 20 year old rig and $10K ain't gonna cut it.

Cheers!