Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #1

Used RV prices

I'm looking to buy a used class A diesel pusher, but I'm a bit bewildered by the wide gaps in prices for seemingly similar coaches. In the age range I'm looking at, roughly 2000-2007, it seems you can have two RVs with similar age, mileage, specs and condition; and yet one will be listed at $69K while another is $110K (as an example).

As a buyer, what can I do to ensure I'm paying a fair price? Are the NADA used RV values a good guideline?

I'm also unsure whether it's better to buy from a dealer or a private party. A friend of mine works in sales at La Mesa, and as a first-time buyer, there is some peace of mind in knowing the RV's been properly inspected and that I have someone I can call for "tech support" even after the sale, but that peace of mind seems to come with quite a markup.

Would appreciate any insights or advice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some people are VERY proud of their moho's and price accordingly with little actual knowledge of the market. NADA is nothing more than a guide, a rough estimate at best. Once you find a unit you like, shop around and price a few of the same model if you can. Don't jump at the first one. A bit of shopping will give you an idea of what you can actually buy that particular model for. Remember the lowest price may not be the best deal. Once you have an idea of what range the coach should be in and you hone in on a particular one, I would get a qualified expert to look it over for you before making an offer. Educate yourself and read, read, read. This sight is a good place to start.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tx, i have 2 friends at la masa rv. steve/john. they kinda work together, both great guys, But, prices are a bit high, an offer of 10k less than they selling is a worthly chance. i ended up buying from RV Kountry, on 41 in north ft myers. awesome prices, an great selection, i got mine below wholesale. ask for walt at rv kountry, tell him abe sent ya,
ps. yes forget to add this, la masa had a 05 bounder/dp for 59k. an a 07 expedition dp for 89k. bounder had seen its days, but the expedition was awesome. but at time bank wouldnt give up the $$.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Check out www.ppl.com and look for recent sales. They're a consignment dealer in TX. They usually have a pretty extensive list of what coach's have sold for.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

I just bought a used coach from a private sale. We looked at a lot of units both dealer and private sale. We used the On Line NADA price as a guide. I looked at the low retail price and did not add any options to that base price. Then I looked at PPL Motorhomes in their actual price sold section to get a feeling for what they sold used coaches for over the last 3 years.

Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes

Using these two resources we came up with a maximum offer my wife and I agreed not to go over when we negotiated a price. Then as we looked at the coaches we added up all the things we saw that needed replacement or repair. Tires $2,500, Batteries $ 1,500, Headlights bad $500 each, Taillights filled with water$ 500 each so on and so forth. The way I look at it, there is bound to be many more things to fix than the ones we find during a walk through.

We had to walk away from 5 coaches when we couldn't get the owner to come down to our maximum price, one dealer beat our maximum price, but the coach had problems I just didn't want to tackle. On one bank repo, once we added up our repairs list, and deducted it from our low retail/PPL Used Price, the $86,000 asking price ended up being $50,000! The bank was just about to sell the coach to us when someone else offered them $1,000.00 more. We refused to go higher. As a side note, two of those owners that refused our offer have now contacted me asking us to come back and look at their coach again. They were more willing to renegotiate now.

We made what I feel is a good deal on our newly purchased coach. What started out as a $102,000 price last fall, dropped to $89,000 early this year, then dropped to $85,000 as the owner and I started to communicate. I made it clear I couldn't offer the $85,000 price but I would like to look at the coach and then make an offer depending on what we saw. We liked what we saw. The coach was in immaculate condition (a rare thing let me tell you) and it came fully loaded with upscale everything from Weber portable gas grill to dishes and silverware & even including a tow bar and brake buddy. It also included all of the service records and we actually believed the previous owner when he talked about his beloved coach. My wife and I came up from our "maximum price" to give the previous owner a fair offer. We were still 10% lower than his "best offer". He accepted our offer and now the coach sits in our driveway. After the paper work was signed I asked him how he felt about the deal. He said "I wish I could have gotten more, but your research showed me the price was fair. I'm happy about it now".
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think you have to compare coaches MSRP. A coach might be a low entry coach, or mid entry or high entry. The higher the ask, in most cases, the higher the original MSRP. This does not mean the more expensive coach is the better buy. You have to look at the usage, and floor plans, etc. Just do your research.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I just bought a used coach from a private sale. We looked at a lot of units both dealer and private sale. We used the On Line NADA price as a guide. I looked at the low retail price and did not add any options to that base price. Then I looked at PPL Motorhomes in their actual price sold section to get a feeling for what they sold used coaches for over the last 3 years.

Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes

Using these two resources we came up with a maximum offer my wife and I agreed not to go over when we negotiated a price. Then as we looked at the coaches we added up all the things we saw that needed replacement or repair. Tires $2,500, Batteries $ 1,500, Headlights bad $500 each, Taillights filled with water$ 500 each so on and so forth. The way I look at it, there is bound to be many more things to fix than the ones we find during a walk through.

We had to walk away from 5 coaches when we couldn't get the owner to come down to our maximum price, one dealer beat our maximum price, but the coach had problems I just didn't want to tackle. On one bank repo, once we added up our repairs list, and deducted it from our low retail/PPL Used Price, the $86,000 asking price ended up being $50,000! The bank was just about to sell the coach to us when someone else offered them $1,000.00 more. We refused to go higher. As a side note, two of those owners that refused our offer have now contacted me asking us to come back and look at their coach again. They were more willing to renegotiate now.

We made what I feel is a good deal on our newly purchased coach. What started out as a $102,000 price last fall, dropped to $89,000 early this year, then dropped to $85,000 as the owner and I started to communicate. I made it clear I couldn't offer the $85,000 price but I would like to look at the coach and then make an offer depending on what we saw. We liked what we saw. The coach was in immaculate condition (a rare thing let me tell you) and it came fully loaded with upscale everything from Weber portable gas grill to dishes and silverware & even including a tow bar and brake buddy. It also included all of the service records and we actually believed the previous owner when he talked about his beloved coach. My wife and I came up from our "maximum price" to give the previous owner a fair offer. We were still 10% lower than his "best offer". He accepted our offer and now the coach sits in our driveway. After the paper work was signed I asked him how he felt about the deal. He said "I wish I could have gotten more, but your research showed me the price was fair. I'm happy about it now".
You must be my long lost twin brother......we did exactly the same thing (on a lessor price) except we didn't get the weber or the brake buddy!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #8

And, remember what you have been told about other things....if it looks to good, $$, there might be a reason. I find this is true if a particular RV looks great on paper, and perhaps in appearance, but setting at one particular RV site for far to long. I still like looking and especially like some of the CCs, found one at MHS that seemed priced very nicely but it had been there I felt far to long to be perfect. I did some research with someone very much in the CC know and was told that that particular year was not really good and that years combination of Cat engine and Cat transmission would be, IHO, a "no go". I too backed away.

But then, sometimes that great deal comes along. Good luck.
bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #9

There are so many variables. You have to take into consideration any upgrades that have been made over the same coach without. For instance, I've added a lot of solar to mine, AGM's, 3000W PSW inverter, full body paint w/3 coats of clear, awnings all the way around, residential refridgerator, outside freezer, Hidef tv's, new Michelens, and new generator. I wouldn't sell mine at the same price as a coach of the same year that didn't have those upgrades.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
You must be my long lost twin brother......we did exactly the same thing (on a lessor price) except we didn't get the weber or the brake buddy!
If you just won the $200+ million Power Ball lottery I could be your long lost brother Just let me know Bro and I'll stop by and cook you a hamburger on my Weber .
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org pay what they are asking, it will be the best money you spend on your rv. Then read all the material and decided which coaches you're interested in looking at, then go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for check the right boxes and it will email you daily updates.
Good luck and good hunting
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #12

market value is what its called. you need to do research in your area for what you are looking for. the exact same motorhome in different parts of the country will be worth different amounts. I've found the people who bought it new usually ask the higher prices because they have been paying on the thing for years and usually still owe more on it than what its worth. motor home prices depreciate unlike anything else I've ever bought. you spend 100k and five years later you'd be lucky to get half that. I just bought one and traveled 10 hours to get it but paid 35% less than what I would have paid for the same thing here. like I said different area's have different market values. condition is another major determining factor, but as you will soon find one man's "like new" condition is another man's pile of crap. just like the phrase "everything works" it always does until you get there and actually start checking it out
Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #13

Which areas of the country tend to have better (meaning lower) prices for used RVs?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #14
rtz

It's been my impression that the further away the dealer is from the factory; the more money they have tied up in getting the units to the dealer.