Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Used RV Pricing Guides

Is there any used pricing guide other than the laughable NADA info. That thing is a total joke. Looking at a 2015 Dutch Star 4369. NADA prices - List $408K, average retail $298K. Anyone who did their homework did not pay that much for it new. Now 2 MY old and worth more than it sold for new? Where is the huge depreciation hit from buying new?

Talk about a rigged BS publication. This thing really causes problems for the used buyer.

Are there any guides that give real world values.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

I've just always figured there aren't any good publications with RVs because it's just too much of a moving target. There are so many factors like region and condition that it's tough to have a "one size fits all" book.

I suppose with higher end Class A units it should be easier since a couple thousand one way or another isn't critical. But, with trailers, a few thousand dollars (shipping across the country for example) could be 25% of the value.

Adding to the confusion is the whole pricing thing with RVs is just out of whack. A coach that has an MSRP of 200,000 really costs 130,000. And, in the end, RVers make up a much smaller population than cars so I just don't think NADA or KBB are willing to spend the time/money to do the research and make it accurate.

The best method seems to just be searching on RV Trader or RVT. That's how I've always determined the going price for a given unit - new or used.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post

The best method seems to just be searching on RV Trader or RVT. That's how I've always determined the going price for a given unit - new or used.
Going by that method a used 2015 DSDP with 15K miles is worth at least $20K more than they paid for it and a used 16 would be worth $30-40K more than they paid for it.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm confused by your numbers. A new 2016 DS retailed at $408K. Take off 28% (usual savings) and you come up with the $298K number. How much would you expect it to depreciate in less than a year.

When I bought my 2014 DS, it actually went up in value the first year because they had become so popular. Just because those who buy used like to bang on those who buy new by claiming the new owners lose a ton of money, it isn't always true.....it's just something that makes them feel better for buying used.

Even several of the Newmar gassers increased in value in 2014. Keep in mind that the RV industry is booming now more tan it did before the recession. Try and book a popular campground. Not everyone is in dire straights and giving away motor homes as some would think, especially quality motor homes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm confused by your numbers.
They are not my numbers. They are the numbers direct from the NADA site.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey OP, I agree with the others, besides it's a 2015 and so it's not exactly 2 years old unless you are trying to sell it. If you were trying to buy it off a dealer and it's still never been registered then yes you will most likely pay $295K for it. They might make you a deal for $290K. But if you are trying to unload it to a dealer for a 2017 model then expect to get ripped off and only offered any where from $150K to $200K. They usually take the bottom end and take away 38% that way they can put it back out for near low end and still make a bunch even after post sale repairs.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Why would anyone buy a 2015 (that is two years old) for close to the same price you can get a 2017 for. I am sure there are people out there that are not aware that you can get about 28% off MSRP , is that what the dealership is waiting for?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #8

go to your local library they should have the nada price guide that the dealers use. this book is about six inches thick. it will give you trade in value and low avg retail of units sold. this is a dealers bible they will look in that and see the price of the coach and try to screw you from there. be willing to walk away cause you will have to most of the time.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #9

The problem begins with the MSRP. New Coach prices are off the charts so when someone comes in with a trade and they are upside down in their trade, they can still get financed because the book value for the new one is 25% - 50% inflated so the numbers look good for the bank.

From there it drives the algorithm NADA uses to create the value which is wrong from the beginning.
jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #10

I find web sights as PPL have a SOLD section that list real world prices.
I am sure there are other internet real world sold prices, but I find PPL lists are easy to read, easy to still pull up pictures ect..Sure your not going to give a unit a real good look without touching it, but there are several to compare to.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #11

Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
thought I would add a link to PPL SOLD units

Tags
guide