Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Used Sea breeze

Still looking,Found a 2000 Sea Breeze 33' on a ford V10 1999 chassis
With 70K on it.
Looks real nice original owner.
My question should I stay away from the early V10 with 70K on it?
Any thing I should look for in a Sea Breeze coach?
Thanks for you help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO. the V10 is tougher than fried tripe! I have had two with no issues whatsoever. The newer models have more power, but the older V-10's seem to perform well as a motor home chassis.

Bronk

Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I have had issues with my Tropical but the motor hasn't been one of them. They just work.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good motor That year will have 275hp

1999 V10...275hp around 400 ft lbs torque (2-valve)
2000-2004 V-10...310 hp @4250 rpm, 425 ft/lb torque @3250 rpm (2-valve)
2005 up V-10...362 hp @4750 rpm, 457 ft/lb torque @3250 rpm (3-valve)

Only issue that I found when I was looking at them was early model had spark plug blowing issue. This is a very rare occurrence, seemed to be related to improper torque of plugs when they were serviced.

Mitigation - torque the plugs.

Tranny seems good.

At 70k miles it may need complete preventative maintenance to bring it up to present. (tranny flush, brakes, etc, etc.

Check out the Ford F53 Chassis club.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you like the coach and you like the price, buy it and enjoy!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry about the miles on the engine. I would however make sure to get it at a very good price. MH's with that many miles are a tough sell with so many units under 50k. When you go to resell with even more miles you will have to be priced in the lower range to get any interest.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

We bought a 2000 SeaView a few years ago as our first RV.

Our V-10 is a solid performer, with plenty of power for our 20,500# chassis. It has about 50,000 miles on it and I will take it anywhere tomorrow. We've been over the continental divide a dozen times, as well as the Sierras and Cascades with no power problems. You just need to realize you're not driving a sports car, and get in the truck lane on steep climbs. You may have to do 40-45mph until you crest. We don't tow a vehicle, so that needs to be considered.

On any rig you will have maintenance issues. On an older rig, there will be more. Mine were not so much engine/chassis related but coach/house related. The engine, transmission, drivetrain on mine were rock-solid. A good inspection will help check yours. The suspension was a bit tired and needed help (air bag springs, shocks, sway bar fix.)

I'd be concerned with some of the other things, as well:

Your roof is incredibly important! A small leak, over time, will wreak havoc on a coach with delaminations inside and out, rotted roof members, stained ceilings. My rig had a couple (hidden) screw holes penetrating that roof that leaked for 6 years (with the previous owner) before I found them.

Plan on working on your electrical systems. The 120V systems will probably be OK (circuit breakers, outlets, microwave.) but check the generator. The 12V systems will likely need to be upgraded (batteries, charger, inverter, LED interior lamps.) Your audio/video gear will probably need upgrades as things moved digital and high-def over the past 15 years (LCD TV, antenna, satellite dish.)

Then we get into aesthetics. The exterior of an older rig will often show its age. A shine on the fiberglass takes work. Your decals will likely need replacing. You may want to upgrade the dated interior (carpet, shades, brass handles, etc.).

With all the above caveats ...... I'd do it over in a heartbeat! No matter the age of the rig you buy, you will need to do maintenance and upgrades. An older rig tends to take more effort. The more you do yourself, the more affordable it is. I only take mine in for the engine/drivetrain work.

Good Luck!
Karl
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Karl nailed it...

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Still shopping

Thanks for all the input.
I'm watching for all roof concerns and delamination on the side walls.
I think I'm leaning towards the V10 as apposed to the GM or the workhorse Mainly because of the all the AUTO BRAKE ISSUES..
I also agree with buying a high mile coach,it would harder to sell down the road.
Thank again.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41pu View Post
Thanks for all the input.
I'm watching for all roof concerns and delamination on the side walls.
I think I'm leaning towards the V10 as apposed to the GM or the workhorse Mainly because of the all the AUTO BRAKE ISSUES..
I also agree with buying a high mile coach,it would harder to sell down the road.
Thank again.
As someone who purchased a 1997 Workhorse chassis and had AutoBrake issues I completely agree. I'd consider myself a weekend maintenance guy, and I didn't want to constantly be worrying about the auto brake locking up on me or parking it and not being able to get it un-locked. So when we upgraded, (going newer obviously made it more of a Ford decision) we went Ford. I love the V10 in my 2008 Fiesta (2007 Chassis) and wouldn't trade the longer wheel base and 22.5" tires for anything. Just got back from our longest trip (750 miles round trip) through Illinois and Indiana and had nothing but 20 mph cross winds and head winds and the RV handled it like a champ. Was really impressed.