Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #15

We tend to run the generator with forward A/C in hot weather. In addition, we use the fans to move air around. They are a little noisy, but ours seems to move a lot of air. When it's cold, we are not there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #16

If your windshield is not tinted all those fans do is blow the heat from the windshield on you. They are to assist defogging the glass only.
wirefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

As many others have said now, they are there to help clear the windshield. We also use them when it is very hot to lower the temp of the glass so it does not radiate so much. That assumes you are running the roof air so the heat has somewhere to go though.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #18

I just purchased a Newmar Bay Star 2013 Model 3209 that has air filters in the round overhead return air vents. How do I get them out to clean them without tearing the vent apart?
Jumping Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Pretty sure the ones you have are the ones that came OEM w/our Bounder. Those rattled something terrible. We had them replaced with quieter ones, but still the same style. Use them all the time to keep air moving up front as well as keep moisture from accumulating in the cool spring/fall weather. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what brand the new ones are because we had them replaced way back when the coach was still under warranty.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never thought of using the dash fans to defrost the windshield!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #21

Dash mounted or overhead mounted fans have been in existence since at least the 1950's in OTR trucks. With barely adequate HVAC dash systems the extra fans do help in the defrost mode, especially when the weather is humid, rainy and causing the windshield to fog up. This tradition carried on in OTR buses then motorhomes.

Calling them useless, at the very least, shows lack of vision and awareness of their intended use, IMO.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Calling them useless, at the very least, shows lack of vision and awareness of their intended use, IMO.
Well now ... I have never before read or heard about the fans being used to defog/defrost the window ... And only once have driven the coach in conditions that might have needed it (and the onboard dash system did its job well enough). I apologize for and regret my lack of vision and awareness - and thank those here who have had that awareness for passing it on.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #23

Ok. I guess I haven't driven in the right conditions to need them yet, which is possible since we've driven only in the summer so far. There are some big defroster vents in front of the dash which I assumed were up to the task, but maybe not. Anyway I'm not in a big hurry to take them out so I'll wait a bit longer to see they become useful.

I would have been nice, though, if they had installed something that didn't look like it was designed for a prohibition era delivery truck.

Charlie
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
I use mine to circulate A/C air so I don't freeze while driving an DW is sweating sitting on the couch. Mine are noisy and move more air than I would like at times. Will be looking into some type of multi-speed option for them.
DENSHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Perhaps this could be adapted to replace existing fans.....looks a little more modern without exposed blades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471109533.918142.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	135805
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #26

The fans re there to defrost or dry the inside of windshield in cold or rainy weather. Large windshield s are very hard to clear. Most big rigs come with these still today, I would keep them in place.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Perhaps this could be adapted to replace existing fans.....looks a little more modern without exposed blades.

Attachment 135805
Thanks pasdad1, now I have something to post in the what was the last thing you bought for your RV forum.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #28

Shortly after purchasing our class A, which did not have defrost fans, we were traveling through Knoxville in June on I-40 on a Friday late afternoon during rush hour and raining hard. I had the defrosters on high however the windshield fogged over so bad I couldn’t see, had to pull off the highway….was not good in all the traffic and rain. Needless to say I just install two fans. I’ve been in OTR’s several times and they are certainly very useful.
campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan