Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Using 15 amp for Class A

we have an 07 monaco coach, 50 amp hookup.....we recently purchased a cabin, and want to use the coach to stay in while we are getting the cabin ready to live in (part time).......we can boon dock in the driveway, using the generator to charge the batteries, but i am not sure how good the batteries are........the only power available to the coach is a 15 amp plug on the outside of the cabin....i am wondering if i can plug into that service, using adapters to go from the 15 amp circuit to the coach's 50 amp "cord".......i know that, if this is possible, we could not run any air conditioners, not use microwave, we would have to use propane for frig and hot water tank (which is fine), and probably watch the number of lights, etc that are used.............the power coming in would just be for lights, watching tv, flushing the toilet (electric), running the propane furnace (if needed) and for charging the coach batteries...........we could run the genny, but i just made friends with the new neighbors, and don't want to subject them to the noise............any thoughts from those that have done this?.........thanks
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #2

It'll work fine, even for the microwave. Keep the cord short and use a #12 cord if you can. Worst that can happen is you learn how NOT to trip the breaker by turning on multiple things at one time.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:50 AM   #3

What he said.. when the coach is home it was on a 15A service with a 12ga extension. Fridge was on LP as well as the water heater. I could run one of two AC’s, or an electric heater in the winter. Its just a matter of learning how not to pop the breaker and it may be easier than you think. Keep the battery's on trickle charge if you can force that, because if you allow the charger to ramp up it could easily draw 20A all by itself.

The power management system in the coach does a really good job of keeping loads within limits. I don't remember losing a breaker, but at the same time if careful, it will never shed loads if you pay attention.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
thanks, i can set the panel to show low amperage coming in, which should adjust the battery charging rate............as for extension cord, i will have to use one, and it will have to be at least 25 ft......but i will make sure it is a not a cheap one...........gonna try the hookup today at our primary residence, including extension cord, and do some testing of what i can and cannot use inside the coach...........
Old 09-12-2019, 03:39 AM   #5

If you can add some solar to your electrical system, even better! I run off of 115AC pluggued into an outside outlet all the time while my rig is at home. Fridge on AC, batteries charging and may a light or 2 on with no issues. Battery charger outputs 13.2 trikle charge to keep batteries topped off.
HappyCampr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampr4 View Post
If you can add some solar to your electrical system, even better! I run off of 115AC pluggued into an outside outlet all the time while my rig is at home. Fridge on AC, batteries charging and may a light or 2 on with no issues. Battery charger outputs 13.2 trikle charge to keep batteries topped off.
we never boon dock, and i already have a 50 amp plug at primary residence, will install at least a 30 amp plug at second residence...........solar would be nice if we stayed off grid..................
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #7

It will run fine off of 15 amp just for keeping the batteries up. All your lights run off the 12 volt batteries. Your fridge, and water heater, as well as furnace all use 12 volt for the controls. The furnace fan is 12 volt as well. Keep in mind, if you need to start the generator for any reason, I highly recommend unplugging the cord from the cabin before you do. You are supposed to be able to switch with it plugged in, but I have found it can make a big clunk. Others have stated it burns the contacts and wears out the transfer switch. I wont do it to mine. Others opinion might vary until they have to replace their auto transfer switch. cheers
Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

While you are remodeling, why not trench in a power cord to where you want to keep the motorhome, when you have it there, and install the 30 amp pedestal there for easy hookup? The coach can then serve as a "guest cottage" for visiting friends or family. It's a very small expense and provides privacy for the visitors. We did 50 amp pedestals at both of our homes along with sewer hookup. Works great for everyone.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

I fooled with mine a bit. 15 amps would run everything (within reason) just fine. Except the AC. I could run one unit about three minutes and then it would trip. Then I went with 30 amps. I could run everything and one AC. Finally broke down and wired up for full 50 amp service. I had to add a breaker to my box and run some not cheap wire but it's great.

Note, I did this in summer so my furnace was not in the testing equations. Considering the time of year you might want to account for that. Since mine's basically just a squirrel cage fan I would estimate it as half an AC unit's usage. MIGHT squeak by on 15 amps.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
thanks, i can set the panel to show low amperage coming in, which should adjust the battery charging rate............as for extension cord, i will have to use one, and it will have to be at least 25 ft......but i will make sure it is a not a cheap one...........gonna try the hookup today at our primary residence, including extension cord, and do some testing of what i can and cannot use inside the coach...........
Setting a low amp charging rate won't hurt anything because as long as you are plugged in all the 12 volt items will run off the converter and the batteries will stay topped off needing very little charge. A quality heavy duty contractor grade cord should work fine.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #11

15 amps will be fine. Just be sure that it is NOT a gfci outlet. Gfci outlets will tend to trip the breaker. Once you trip the gfci a few times they tend to weaken and trip all the time.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not a problem unless it's hot and you need cooling. I do it at a friends house. I do use my autoformer though. Only time I had problems is if the friend was in his shop running his saw. The outlet was on the same circuit so the voltage would go low and my EMS would shut power off and go to battery power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #13

I've stayed at friends places and have been able to install a new circuit breaker in the breaker panel and wire it to a 30 or 50 amp outlet temporarily on the outside of the building I was staying near. With their permission of course. Usually don't have to do anything out of the ordinary other than maybe drill a small hole or two, easily patched later. Often the breaker panels are outside or on an outside wall of the garage.

You already have a 15 amp outlet in a convenient place outside, maybe see if the wiring can be replaced with heavier gauge so you can put a bigger outlet in it's place?

Doing that would give a more power of course and a cleaner install. I'm not a fan of trying to power a 50 amp rig with 15 amps, especially if you'll be living in it. After adding the outlet you'd have 30 or 50 amp then and with winter coming up, using electric heaters to take the chill off is better in my opinion then using the propane furnace.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a power management system you may have to manually set it to 20 amp.

Tags
class a