Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #57
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
We're going to be traveling from South Florida up to Washington next month. We've only got 2 weeks and we've got 4 spots on our agenda with 5 days in Williamsburg.

Now the Mrs can drive our Essex and we're only going to be taking the interstate between our stopping grounds.

As weekend campers I can routinely drive 8-10 hours because we need to get where we're going since we don't have much time. My wife and I are having a discussion about stopping halfway between Naples and Washington.

My preference is to stop between Savannah and I-26. That would be about 500-550 miles.

Now we stop every 3-4 hours for the pets and if I get tired I just pull into a rest area and have no problem taking a 60-90 power nap. The question I have for more experienced members is this:

A) How many people stop and campgrounds for the night then continuing

B) How many people stop at a W-Mart (or equivalent)

C) How many people spend the night at a truck stop/rest area?

Oh and one other question for you experienced MH operators... I LIKE driving at night time (after 8 pm) because there is a LOT less traffic. I've driven our prior MH at night and this one as well. I've found that there are less truckers but what helps is to just pull behind one and set the cruise and .....

Other than falling asleep, anything other to worry about driving at night?

Oh, Deer.

Ken 1996 Safari Sahara- 3530, 35', CAT 300
Pictures of my coach:
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #58
Monaco Owners Club
My brother just finished a 3 week trip and spent 2 nights in a camp ground. He felt safe in truck stops.

OTOH, truck stops and other parking lots are industrial environments and are unappealing, even if they are free. Prostitutes and Panhandlers are pretty standard occupants of truck stops. I've been in risk management all my life and the reality is you can't be involved in an incident if you aren't there. I like to be setup by 1600, take a walk, watch some TV and get 8-9 hours sleep. If I want to save money then I don't get full hook ups. If I can't afford campgrounds, I probably will quit RVing.

Safety is a matter of perception. The ostrich comes to mind.

Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #59
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
For those of you looking for a book or website for free or almost free camping/city parks,etc. Check out this website. http://www.freecampgrounds.com/index.aspx . We used this site last year on our way across the northern states to CO. 6 days of driving and we stayed 4 nights for $5 or less each night. We were in a 2 man tent, but each spot we stayed at had bathrooms water and electric available. Two even had showers. We were the only tenters in each campground. We plan on using this site again on our way to SD next month.
X2 on the " freecampgrounds.com ". Checked out their web site and it looks Ike a real good source. Lists free, or nearly free, places to stay alphabetically by city in each state. I've been through Amarillo "a million" times and never knew there was a welcome center to park at on I-40 with 24 hr security,dump station, and "clean" rest rooms right across the street from the Flying J.
Also lots of city parks (mostly in smaller towns) that have RV parking, often with elec. water and dump station. The one in Balinger Texas we have stayed at is like that, is $5 per night on the honor system. Drop your money in the box when you leave. Gotta love it.
We stay in CGs when we get to our destination. But a quick, easy, safe place to over night while in transit is great. We've done Wallydocking and truck stops and CGs while in transit too, they all have their pros and cons.

Charlie & Olivia- Denton, TX, 08' Monaco Dynasty Squire IV, Cummins ISL 425, Blue Ox, M&G, Rubicon
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends"
chuck49 is offline   Reply With Quote