Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Using Craftsman 150 psi Air Comprsr.

Hi ALL:

Got tired of always trying to, first of all. find, then. drive the rig to. a tire air-up place any time we needed to tune up air pressure in our tires. Found out ya don't just pull into a station or food & fuel like place and expect them to have an "air-up" station, or. if they do,.... expect it to be able to provide the pressure (psi) many RV'rs need for their tires. Even tire service shops and truck stops aren't simple as I don't want to hold up working truckers and such.

Anyway, after studying all the posts here on iRV2 about various available air compressors, we finally bought that Craftsman, 150 psi upright compressor from Sears (model # 919.153090).

Now this compressor came with a self coiling plastic like hose and a small, round headed tire chuck which is miserable to hold firmly against the tire stem for the kinda lengthy time it takes for this compressor to bring (in our case) my front tires up to our desired psi of 125.

Two problems:.......First; I'd like to find a chuck that can be temporarily affixed to the tire stem (maybe even without having to hold it) and that would NOT exert excessive downward torque on the tire stem while being used, and.....Second; Can anyone who actually uses this model Craftsman compressor tell me the correct procedure for setting up the compressor and for bringing the tire up to the pressure ya want?? Ya see, I've read, and re-read, and re-re-read the "How To Use" manual but can't seem to get pressure in tire above 120 psi. Manual says.. first... press chuck onto tire stem,....then, second...turn on compressor which will stop running once factory set "cut out pressure" (supposedly around 150 psi) is reached,....then, third,....use pressure regulator knob to adjust the pressure you want in that tire, and......I GUESS, at that point it's supposed to fill the tire to that adjusted set point.

SO.....I've been messing with this and for some reason can't seem to get up to the 125 psi I want. I'm down on my OLD knobby knees, trying to hold that dang little chuck onto the tire stem, while waiting for the compressor to get to that "cut off pressure", so that I can then try to set that adjustment knob to the pressure I want while all the while trying to hold the crummy chuck on the stem and waiting for something to happen that indicates air IS flowing into tire.......course.....I can't hear worth a toot either..

Anybody got better suggestions????? Thanks.

Steve (the ol fart)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I turn the pressure to max and fill my tire. Trying to set the cut off to stop filling your tire at some pressure only makes it take longer to fill. You want your tank at max pressure to more easily/quickly fill your tire.

I am also trying to find a good chuck that reads pressure out while I fill my tire. I also am looking for one with the clip to the stem you mention. In the mean time, I carry my TPMS with me to get me in the ball park and then use my good tire pressure gauge to verify.

Clearly, this compressor is very good for topping off a tire for its size. It isn't the fastest but it has been very reliable. How fast it works will depend on tire size. On average I find it takes about 5-7 seconds to increase my tire's PSI 1# when I am near my target weight. I have 235/80R 22.5s. I would suspect that larger tires with more air volume will take a longer. Reducing the output pressure at all will only increase the amount of time it takes to get the job done.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do the same as Sky Boss. I bought a straight chuck and hose from HF. Haven't used them yet. I know what you mean about the knees. I've had both replaced and my Doctor told me that knees are not for kneeling. I never leave home without my strap on knee pads.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Chickadee,
NAPA and a would assume other auto supply houses sell a clip on tire inflation valve. I have had mine for years and it works fine.

Do you not have an air chuck on your chassis to perform the same? That method usually works quicker and easier for most....

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

If you need 125psi ........turn the pressure to max......you may want to ditch the coiled OEM air hose for a more substantial and less fussy air hose. I also installed "quick connects" on my hoses and invested in a good "double" chuck & an in-line digital gauge, which allows you to both fill and bleed air should you overfill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4048120484.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	558.7 KB
ID:	27767  
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
If you need 125psi ........turn the pressure to max......you may want to ditch the coiled OEM air hose for a more substantial and less fussy air hose. I also installed "quick connects" on my hoses and invested in a good "double" chuck & an in-line digital gauge, which allows you to both fill and bleed air should you overfill.
ABSOLUTELY...ditch the OEM hose!

Jack, what make/model is your pressure gauge?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

I have a Milton dual head locking tire chuck. Works as advertised - you just push the head on and tilt it slightly to lock. I only use the straight section as I have Dually Valve stems on all the tires and the straight is all I need. I use a Kobalt compressor and just lock the chuck on, set the pressure I want and come back when the machine turns off. Caution - I did have the chuck let loose once and it popped off with some force - you could lose an eye if you were too close. Good luck
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

Jack, what make/model is your pressure gauge?
It's a high quality "no name" gauge that I bought in a speciality tools shop in Kelowna BC.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing this is the compressor you bought.

The first generation, like mine, came with a 6' straight hose and a chuck that locked on. The pressure wasn't adjustable.

Just replace the chuck with one that locks on. Once you do that, you can watch the gauge on the front. The needle will bounce as the compressor is running. I leave mine on until it's bouncing past the pressure I want. I remove the chuck and then use a good quality gauge to finish up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Craftsman 150 psi canister compressor. I have 90 degree extensions on the front tires.

First, the Craftsman has a hard time filling my tires to anything above 100 psi and that is with the regulator set to 150 psi (with gauge on compressor) because of the "volume" of air required. You can have a straight compressor without a holding tank that is rated to 150 psi but it will take you a very long time to inflate to 125 psi.

So, what I do when I'm using the Craftsman will let the canister build up to 150 psi, then I shock the tire with the air, then let it fill up again and do the same thing. This in itself takes more time than I want to dedicate to it.

Second, with that 90 degree angle on the stem there is no way I want to press the air chuck to it without some type of support. I carry a "Leatherman" tool on my belt. It has a pair of pliers and when I do the front tires I just pull it out, open it, and hold the stem with the pliers - so far - so good.

I use a quick disconnect on my hoses and I use a trucker's tire chuck that has the double sided fittings. That works on all tires, and the rear outer dual is pointed in with a short valve and the inside dual has a straight brass extension, bent to point at the opening. It is a straight push on, basically, and neither of the rear stems need any support.

I only fill my tires to a max of 110 psi. For that I use my on-board air compressor. My locations on the Freightliner I have is under the front hood. It is where a tow truck would hook up to inflate the air bags should towing be necessary. It has a quick disconnect and a control valve for on/off. IT has been more than adequate to inflate my tires so I don't have to carry the compressor.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #11

We bought this on the recommendation of a trucker we saw using one. It's a Milton product (as jzick mentioned) that has the straight foot locking chuck. It also has a small gauge built in that DH finds is pretty accurate when he checks it with his digital gauge. I comes with a 15' hose too. I don't think an RVer has to worry too much about belts blowing up in their face but it is nice to be able to air the tire from a distance if you do choose to do so.

Read the Milton description attached to this post in a PDF.

DH just loves it.

We bought ours at Amazon through Northern Tool: click here

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8X948_98-A1-501.pdf (435.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
You mght want to check this out this is how I do it. Love the RV Geeks.

HOW TO: Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - YouTube

Below is an update to the video above,be sure to watch the above video first.

UPDATE: High Pressure RV Tire Inflation - YouTube
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the same compressor for my rig last year. After airing up the tires the first time I had to take two Advil for the leg pain and wrist pain from squatting and holding the air chuck against the valve stems.

I purchased this clip on chuck and now I clip it on and wait for the compressor to do it's job.

My tires call for 110 PSI so I set the tank regulator for 150 PSI and the hose regulator to 115 PSI and sit in my chair and wait. When the tire and hose pressure equalize I'm usually a pound or two from my target air pressure.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #14

Those are the absolute greatest "bang-for-the-buck" compressors in the REAL 150 PSI class I have seen - have had ours for 2 years, tires on our MH are in the 100 PSI class, and no issues with the plain "hold-on" chuck I use - no knee issues either - helps to be a healthy 76 years old I guess...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote