Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Using E-20 Diesel fuel

I was watching the travel channel the other day with Truck Centers around America being shown. One of the truck stops was Willie Nelson's (some place in Texas I think) which had it's own vegetable making right there selling E-20 diesel to the truckers. The show claimed the E-20 got better mileage but everything I've read about ethonal was that even E-10 at gas pumps didn't delivery the power and mileage that straight regular gasoline did.

I haven't noticed any signs on the pumps when I've filled up recently with diesel but maybe I've been using it also. Anyone have any experience with ethonal treated diesel and what it's affect on mile/power might be?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
That would be B-20 for bio-diesel. There is no alcohol in the "B" for diesel fuel, just vegetable oil. Won't effect mileage much as ethanol in gas will.

2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I was watching the travel channel the other day with Truck Centers around America being shown. One of the truck stops was Willie Nelson's (some place in Texas I think) which had it's own vegetable making right there selling E-20 diesel to the truckers. The show claimed the E-20 got better mileage but everything I've read about ethonal was that even E-10 at gas pumps didn't delivery the power and mileage that straight regular gasoline did.

I haven't noticed any signs on the pumps when I've filled up recently with diesel but maybe I've been using it also. Anyone have any experience with ethonal treated diesel and what it's affect on mile/power might be?

It's not ethanol, it's a vegetable oil produced to certain standards. It has fewer BTUs/gal than straight diesel so the Milage claim is difficult to swallow. In cold weather, I can tell you from personal experience that an AquaHot doesn't like it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Sorry, my mistake on the B-20. I do remember them mentioning vegetable oil but just got my Bs & Es confused.
The cold weather bit doesn't sound good, but I had heard it will jell easier in colder weather. That's really great as just when do you really need the heater.
Thanks for explaining all that to me.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #5

wagonmaster2, your first statement may have been correct; ethanol in diesel fuel,
is a reality.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, there is such a thing as E20, but your engine manufacturer probably doesn't approve of it. Adding alcohol to diesel makes it more explosive (lower flash point) and could lead to premature ignition in higher compression diesels. Ethanol is also known to cause corrosion or deterioration of rubber in systems that were not designed to handle it. However, it can also lower some diesel emissions. I can't find any credible information on performance impacts, possibly because there is no industry standard for blending ethanol with diesel.

Without better info on usage of the fuel, I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole.

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/fuel_ediesel.php
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
So every time I've filled the coach up at pilot/flying j since we hit the state of Georgia, the truck lane pumps have stickers informing one that the diesel has a content of biodiesel of between 5 to a max of 20%. No way to get away from it in Georgia?
Had a DEF dosing valve issue on a coach with 5k miles on it soon after hitting Ga.; could it be related? Cummins Power said it was a restriction in the injection nozzle due to "deposit buildup" around the def orifice. Hmmmmmm.....
How to get away from the bio muck one wonders....
mymyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
So every time I've filled the coach up at pilot/flying j since we hit the state of Georgia, the truck lane pumps have stickers informing one that the diesel has a content of biodiesel of between 5 to a max of 20%. No way to get away from it in Georgia?
Had a DEF dosing valve issue on a coach with 5k miles on it soon after hitting Ga.; could it be related? Cummins Power said it was a restriction in the injection nozzle due to "deposit buildup" around the def orifice. Hmmmmmm.....
I really doubt biodiesel has anything to do with your injector plugging. I've been running biodiesel in my dually truck ever since it hit the retail market. Now have 135,8xx miles on the truck, getting 18 MPG highway when empty.

If biodiesel was the problem some accuse it of being, the OTR trucking industry would be up in arms.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 02-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

Wal Mart sells a fuel additive (Lucas brand i think) that is supposed to negat the effect of ethanol and i always wondered if it really worked since I have 1991 vehicle that probably doesn't like ethanol.
And if it works would it be a good additive for diesel anything bio/ethanol was listed on the pumps?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post

It's government mandated, no getting around it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

there are quite a number of national truck stops using bio blends, flying j is one of them. I normally stop and check the pumps. unless their b-d price is substantially lower, I would turn away and go for another stop. I have logged my fuel mileage over years and I am convinced the mpg does suffer from using b-d vs. full petro.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Wal Mart sells a fuel additive (Lucas brand i think) that is supposed to negat the effect of ethanol and i always wondered if it really worked since I have 1991 vehicle that probably doesn't like ethanol.
And if it works would it be a good additive for diesel anything bio/ethanol was listed on the pumps?
Is must so state on the container to be diesel fuel safe. For example, Stabil, makes fuel stabilizer for gas and a different bottle for diesel.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
I don't know about the "E" stuff, but my manual says nothing over B5 in my Detroit. That leaves out all the Pilot/Flying J's in Cali and anywhere else.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Check the latest Detroit biodiesel advice. Most of the engine manufacturers have increased the allowable biodiesel content to at least B10, even on older engines.

I think Detroit allows B20 in all Series 60 engines, but the DD13/DD15 engines are still at B5. Same for the Mercedes MBE900 that some RVs have.

This site purports to have the latest biodiesel specs for all OEM brands:
OEM Statement Summary Chart - Biodiesel.org

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel