Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, 12.2V is about half charge, and about as low as you want to go as far as getting long life out of them. Also, dont leave them in that state for any length of time. Charge the to 100 % as soon as possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #16

How long to charge...

Depends on how big the battery plant is, the state of charge and the type and capacity of the charger.

We do not want to be able to fully charge the dead battery in a couple hours, too much.

Best is to not exceed 25 amps per installed string.

If you have chassis battery, and cabin battery of 2 x 2x 6 volt jars and all are charged at same time then three strings x 75 amps should be maximum rate of charge.

As the charge comes up rate will decline, then charging will be slower.

To get a battery completely happy it may need to float for a couple days to be true 100%charged.

Do not need that for storage.

By the way, alternator good charge source on highway, poor at idle, current low until rpm comes up.

A 150 amp unit will be very low at idle, high idle is fine, but engine drinks fuel and wear, best to use generator and on board charger, portable ones can be added too.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, it would cost you less if you went to Walmart and purchased a decent battery charger plus you could leave it on the coach all night. Running the generator just to charge the batteries is not cost effective and it is also a slow process as most converters (120vac-12vdc) are designed to maintain a battery state, not bring up a low battery within a reasonable amount of time.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
IMHO, it would cost you less if you went to Walmart and purchased a decent battery charger plus you could leave it on the coach all night. Running the generator just to charge the batteries is not cost effective and it is also a slow process as most converters (120vac-12vdc) are designed to maintain a battery state, not bring up a low battery within a reasonable amount of time.
It would be a good excuse to exercise the generator ( under load of course )..
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Can I leave it on the coach all night? Is it cool to be charging the batteries using a charger that is, in fact, plugged into the coach itself? Mine is in a storage unit with no access to shore power of any type.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post

Can I leave it on the coach all night? Is it cool to be charging the batteries using a charger that is, in fact, plugged into the coach itself? Mine is in a storage unit with no access to shore power of any type.
The folks didn't read the entire thread before responding. You can't plug an external charger into a tree just run the genny 2 hours (probably already done by now), which will get you through the night to run the fridge. Tomorrow is a new day and the batts will get fully charged going down the road
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Unlikely on a 2006 National RV.
Is it not a Magnetek 950 50 amp converter charger? They are single stage devices.

Not sure. Just didn't think any mainstream manufacturer was using a multi-stage charger short of high stuff with inverter/chargers.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post

Is it not a Magnetek 950 50 amp converter charger? They are single stage devices.

Not sure. Just didn't think any mainstream manufacturer was using a multi-stage charger short of high stuff with inverter/chargers.
I think National dumped Magnatek single stages in the early 2000's. They were certainly not using them in 06.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #23

My 2000' National Dolphin came with a Progressive Dynamics 9200.

Unless the previous owner swapped them out .
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
My 2000' National Dolphin came with a Progressive Dynamics 9200.

Unless the previous owner swapped them out .
My '99 had the Magnatek boat anchor. I'm sure the PD 9200 didn't come into being for several years after that. The PD 9100 of course preceeded the PD 9200, which National used after dumping the Magnateks.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #25

The dataplate on the back-side of your frig will state the DC wattage draw when operating on propane and 120VAC. It must have DC voltage when operating_period. The PC board operates from DC voltage.

re, house battery charging. An RV technician who has been such for 22 years, told me he's never seen a MH that was not originally designed to re-charge the house battery while driving. I know the 1977 class A Allegro I owned back then re-charged house battery while driving. I doubt technology declined since then. Our present MH would not re-charge house batteries. That same technician located a faulty solenoid, replaced it, and the system now works as designed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The folks didn't read the entire thread before responding. You can't plug an external charger into a tree just run the genny 2 hours (probably already done by now), which will get you through the night to run the fridge. Tomorrow is a new day and the batts will get fully charged going down the road
Why is it that some folks just have to jab someone else... no place was it stated that he had NO AC power at his storage location...

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post

Getting ready for a trip tomorrow. Motorhome has been sitting a bit. Started up OK this morning but the panel showed bother house and chassis at 12.1 volts. I'm sitting here in storage trying to run the generator enough to bring the charge up enough so that the fridge won't kill it overnight when I come back to turn it on this evening. How long do I have to run the generator to "top off" the charge? 2006 National Seabreeze.
Your alternator puts out more amps than your generator powering the built-in charger.

If you want to run the generator it will take many hours.

To reduce the time needed to charge the battery bank fully, I would suggest using a minimum of a 15 amp or a possibly a higher amp portable charger plugged into a 120 VAC outlet and then hooked to your battery bank. By doing it that way, it will reduce the amount of time considerably.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Why is it that some folks just have to jab someone else... no place was it stated that he had NO AC power at his storage location...
Really .

Read post #19. The post above the one you quoted.