Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Using leveling jacks..... don't laugh, gotta start somewhere :-)

Preparing for our first trip out in a few weeks. This weekend we are making sure we know how to do everything, slideout, generator, bleaching the fresh water tank, my first driving lesson in the RV (I'll try not to take out any stop signs), etc.....

We are complete newbies. Bought our motorhome from a private party. Everything has been checked and fixed by a reputable RV service (yes, all new tires)

I have heard of all of the manuals that come with the RV when you buy one, and although the previous owners swear they were somewhere onboard. Every inch of the RV has been searched and cleaned and there are NONE. So, we are trying to find, one by one, all of these manuals. My husband has found 2. But the one he is the most worried about is how to use the leveling jacks. Is there an actual manual for that or is that just part of the motor home itself? We did find the manual for the motorhome, but he said it doesn't have really have instructions about using the jacks.

Thanks again!!

NMMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Oh, might help.
2000 35' Cruisemaster Georgieboy

NMMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Best idea is to google the manufacturer and model number of all systems in your RV. I did for my systems and added the word 'manual' in the search box, often went right to the PDF file I wanted.

For most leveling jacks, if you level manually, always use the jacks in pairs, not one at a time. Using one at a time can cause RV frame to twist and sometimes crack windows. You also never want to raise the rear high enough to lift wheels off ground, thus losing the emergency brake lock on rear wheels. If you have air bag suspension, often there is a 'dump' button on the Leveler control panel to let air out of the airbags to lower the coach, then you don't have to raise it has far to level it out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Look at the leveler console and see who the manufacturer is, e.g. HWH, LCI, etc. You should be able to contact them, tell them your make and model and they should be able to send you a PDF. I bought a 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire and I worked hard to put all the manuals together. I would recommend starting a notebook with dividers and organize the tabs such as electronics, plumbing, etc. On the levelers, you might want to check out the condition of the springs that raise the levelers. If they are old and stretched, this will be one of your projects. The springs are only about $ 40 a pair, which handles one leveler, so you'll need 4 pairs. Try to use your VIN and contact the manufacturer and you might be able to obtain what I call the "cut sheet" which will give you a lot of info on your coach, e.g. model numbers, serial numbers of appliances, AC's etc. Good luck, it is hard work, but worth it.
esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Go to home depot or Lowes and buy some 2 x 12 treated lumber. Cut them in about 14-16 inch lengths. When docking, dump your air and level by driving up on the wood. The board will correct roughly 1.5 degrees, so if you are 2 degrees off in the front, use one board for each front tire. Then supplement the fine tuning with the jacks. I consider my jacks to be a support for the coach rather than the solo leveling system. you may want to have a few extra pieces of wood for jack pads and extra leveling support. I rarely find Rv parks and other places to be level.

That's my 02
2002 eagle
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Most likely if you have a 2000 GB then you will have the Quadra manual system. It may have been upgraded to the auto at some point. But if you do a search on Google you can find there website. The online manuals I am sure are for there newer system. But it will still help you out a lot. I worked for them at that time and that is what Georgie Boy was installing at the factory.

I hope that helps
Equalizer Systems
Nick Godfrey - Equalizer Systems
Elkhart, Indiana
(800) 846-9659
EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2001 Georgie Boy with Quadra leveling system. If you could take a photo of your control panel I may be able to e-mail a copy of my manual. You really need the manual to safley operate the system.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar and have not had perfect experience with automatic levelers. I had it serviced after the 1st incident where it was picking up the rear by more than 4" when the ground was not that un level. The next time out I was probably out of level by 1-2" and the system wanted to tip the rig over. I lost all trust in the "automatic" part.

Since then I have leveling blocks and dual measurement quality levels that I use to determine my number of leveling blocks and only drops the jacks to stabilize.

I was thinking the big bulky manual I received at purchase needs to be onboard but not always accessible. I imagine you have searched high and low for the manuals. By chance, if you have dinette seats you may want to look under there.

LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

jacks, leveling