Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #15

I choose to carry a pancake compressor because it is more convenient. I have no air hookup on the coach, none needed in the event of towing, just cage the brake chambers. The easiest way to raise air pressure in the coach system back to 120, is to fan the brakes a couple times until the compressor regulator kicks in.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried it with the previous Dutch Star, gave up after trying for an hour to do one front tire that needed 120 psi. Bought a 120V Coleman tank unit at Lowe's. Slow on such big tires but it does work.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

Thanks for all the information! I've learned so much on this site and read on here almost every day then share the stories with my husband. Whenever we have a question I tell him "let me get online and ask my people"! LOL
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with the majority. It's doable with the on-board air, but slow and not very convenient. I ended up getting a tall 80 gallon 175 PSI two stage compressor bolted to the garage floor. I get fast tire fills and I have enough air to run any air tool out there: my air needs are solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
Okay, here's another question. If it's really not great for airing up tires, what is it good for?
It's good for roadside emergencies, and air hose is a lot smaller and lighter than carrying a compressor. It's also good for inflating smaller tires (fills an almost flat toad tire with a bad valve stem in no time - ask me how I know, and filled the tiny tires in a four wheel cart almost too fast.) I also keep a blow gun with the air hose and chuck, it can be handy for the occasional cleaning/dusting job (but not in a campground next to neighbors!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
But the primary purpose is for towing. If you rig needs a tow, it is how the tow truck airs your system to release the brakes, and get it rolling. They hookup to that fitting.
My rig actually has two fittings: a male stud with a valve that is used for what you say, and next to it is a female quick connect fitting for attaching an air hose.

If all you have is a male stud, then you will need a female to female adapter. I would make such an adapter as short as possible, and not be tempted to put two female connectors on the ends of a long hose. That hose can hold a lot of pressure, and with two female connectors that pressure will be trapped in the hose with nowhere to go. It can be pressurized even if not hooked up to a pressure source. If you attach a tool to that hose, the tool could operate unexpectedly if you don't realize there is pressure in there. Any hose should always have a male stud on one end so it can't hold pressure without being hooked to a pressure source.

If you do make any kind of female-female adapter (generally not recommended) I'd keep an extra male stud around and plug into one of the female couplers when not in use so any internal pressure is relieved while in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are several types (shapes) of air connector and I don't know what your Discovery may have. Examples include Industrial, Tru-flate, Automotive, etc. If nobody here can tell you, buy from a store that will let you exchange it.
Yes, there are a lot of variations. My experience is that the most common is the Type C, which also happens to to be the type of stud on my towing air charge connection. It's appears to be the type that is commonly available at locations like Sears and Tractor Supply. Good advice to get it from somewhere with a generous return policy, this is probably not the time to try and save fifty cents by going to eBay.

With my big compressor, I use high flow type V connections on all my hoses and tools. Rather than modify the MH connections, I took a type C male stud, screwed it directly into a Type V female coupler, and keep that in the MH. I plug it into the MH, then can plug any of my hoses into that. So, if you already use something else besides what is on the MH there's no need to switch anything over, it's pretty easy to make an adapter.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
No need to haul around a weighty compressor. The air chuck in the front run bay is to air up your tires!
My Exec runs at 120psi and it works perfectly thru a 50' air hose & chuck, available inexpensively at Harbor Freight.
Incidentally, I'd suggest the rubber hose rather than the blue neoprene. The neoprene hose is hard to handle in cold weather. The rubber hose always coils nicely and tucks away easily.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Has anyone installed a small 12v compressor that will air up the coach when you are parked for an extended period?
I hate to fire up the Cummins for a short period just to re-level the coach.
Newells have both a 12v and 110v compressors in the front run bay. Newells are notorious for air leaks as the slide seals, pocket doors, some toilets, air bags and the main door are all pneumatic.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
The air chuck in the front run bay is to air up your tires!
My Exec runs at 120psi and it works perfectly thru a 50' air hose & chuck
Yes, it builds pressure up to 120 PSI. But it won't kick back on until it's down around 90 PSI. How do you fill a tire to 110 PSI? Say you start out with your tire at a 100. You put the chuck on the tire, and with the system at 120, air starts flowing into the tire. but before the tire gets to 110, the air system has dropped to the point where no more air is flowing. But it's above the 90 PSI cut-in pressure, so nothing more happens. To get more air into the tire, you need to bleed off enough system air pressure to get the compressor started again, and then you have a couple more minutes to put air in before the system pressure drops too low.

As long as your final tire pressure is above the compressor cut-in pressure (90 PSI for most 120 PSi compressors) you will eventually run into this issue.

Yes, I can fill my tires from the on-board air, and have done it a few times. But using a compressor that has a cut-in pressure that is above the tire pressure makes it much more convenient. (But not enough to make me carry a compressor with me. But if I'm home I'm definitely using my big compressor, not the on-board air!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
Has anyone installed a small 12v compressor that will air up the coach when you are parked for an extended period?
I hate to fire up the Cummins for a short period just to re-level the coach.
I don't have air leveling, but I thought that a small 12V compressor was standard on all air leveling setups? It's needed for just the situation you describe. Are you sure you don't already have one, and it just isn't working?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #22

All you need are a few fittings, a gauge and a bleed off valve to kick the compressor in. Once the pressure builds up to 115 psi, begin airing the tire, the pressure will remain near 115 as the tire fills and the compressor continues to run. I did that for all of the tires when needed till I bought an enclosed trailer that had it's own generator and 150 psi compressor.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #23

Using MH air connection to air tires?

I am on my 3rd coach with my 150psi pancake. It is just fine and I only need it about 2x per year. I doesn't take much room. And the MH is my home, soooo

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
All you need are a few fittings, a gauge and a bleed off valve to kick the compressor in.
And time - time to bleed off the air, time to let it build up again, and time to fill it up because there isn't much of a pressure differential. I'm not that worried about time, but it's a long time to be crouching next to the tire, my back can't take it.

I do it on the road, because it's so seldom that it's not worth carrying a compressor. But if you're home, a high pressure compressor is MUCH better.

Quote:
till I bought an enclosed trailer that had it's own generator and 150 psi compressor.
See, even you like the compressor idea better.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #25

Without a doubt a separate compressor is better and easier but I don't have room and we full time. I am just going to Carry a compressor all the time so I do the onboard compressor. I air up to 115 psi with little or no issue. Some day I may have a bigger MH and a inclosed trailer but not this day so I use what I have. They both work but the separate compressor is much easier.

Tags
tires