Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Using MH air connection to air tires?

We have an air connection on our MH. How do you use it to air tires if needed? We were trying to avoid taking an air compressor on our trip.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Using MH air connection to air tires?

TR.... A good idea, but I think most folks have found it to be somewhat impractical. On your coach the tires are probably somewhere around 100 Lbs front and 90 Lbs rear, and your compressed air system likely cycles on and off between about 90 psi and 120 psi. You can see that there's an overlap, so it should work-- in theory. If you simply attach an air line to your connector with an inflation chuck on the other end you should be in business.

But look at the numbers: even in a best-case scenario you don't have a great deal of pressure differential, and that is what pushes the air from the tank into the tire. So if it works at all, it will be a pretty slow increase. And a good deal of the time your air system will actually be at a lower pressure than your tire, which means that as soon as you connect the chuck you'll be taking air OUT of your tire.

There are several home made tricks you can make up to trick your engine mounted compressor to kick on, but of course that requires that you run your main engine just to air your tires-- not a good way to make friends in a campground.

Based on my impressions from the forums, most folks have concluded it's more efficient, easier, and simpler to just carry a small compressor. You WILL get varied opinions on this.

Good Luck!

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

The trick to using your on board air is to know what the air pressure is as you fill the tires. The compressor works between 90 psi and 125 psi. You can't fill tires at 100 psi if the pressure in the tank is only 90 psi. It actually needs to be about 10 psi higher in the tank that what you're putting in the tires (the higher the better). Check out this video
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What the others have said is true - filling tires at more than about 90 psi can be a pain. It's doable and someone will surely describe the technique here before long, but it's a PITA (my opinion).

The short answer is that you get a 50 foot air hose, air chuck for the tire valve, and an air line quick-connect compatible with the air outlet on your coach. There are several types (shapes) of air connector and I don't know what your Discovery may have. Examples include Industrial, Tru-flate, Automotive, etc. If nobody here can tell you, buy from a store that will let you exchange it.

If it's a Freightliner chassis, a call to FCCC's customer service line with your VIN will get a definitive answer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the answers. Air compressor it is.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the one in the video (bought on EBay) and it works real slick
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

I have no problem with engine air pumping my steer tires to 120psi, 100 in drives and 90 in tag.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #8

Okay, here's another question. If it's really not great for airing up tires, what is it good for?
Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

TRNewsome, I used on board air for 18 tires for 5 million miles. No problems.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

Works great for me. I have attached a quick disconnect blow-down nozzle and a pressure gauge to the end of the hose. I exhaust air to with the nozzle to start the compressor, then watch the pressure build on the gauge. When the pressure reaches the maximum, I attach the filler and begin filling the tire. If the tank pressure drops too much before reaching desired tire pressure, I switch to the blow down nozzle to get the compressor running up to maximum. This sounds much more complicated than it really is.
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
Okay, here's another question. If it's really not great for airing up tires, what is it good for?
It can be used for tires, takes a little time, and patience. But the primary purpose is for towing. If you rig needs a tow, it is how the tow truck airs your system to release the brakes, and get it rolling. They hookup to that fitting.

L.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
TRNewsome, I used on board air for 18 tires for 5 million miles. No problems.
Yep,
I've used it a few times too. No biggie. It works. The airing up of tires for motor homes is not an Indy style tire change operation. No bodies in a hurry. And, most likely, you're not airing up ALL SIX of them. Maybe one or possibly two are low so, again, it's not a big deal. You may have to cycle the compressor a couple of times to get the pressure in your tire(s) you need but, you'll get it.

Now, what may be of concern is, that big diesel running in the campsite you're in and, how long it has to run, to top off a tire or two, at 100 psi or more? Some folks near by might not be to happy about that.

While some folks may not want to carry an air compressor 'cause they already have a "built in one" attached to the engine, I elected to carry one for multiple purposes. It's seriously quieter than a C-7 is that is cycling for air build up, and, it's also portable so, it can be used away from the coach. This is the one I carry which, is also used by many on here.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #13

Given that once I pump the tyres up at the beginning of our usual 6-month trip, the pressures hold within a pound or two for the next 4 or 5 months, using the on-board air once in six months isn't a big deal so why carry around a separate air compressor for nothing.

Worst case, if you can't master the very simple technique of triggering the compressor to start pumping, you would always be able to pump the tyre up to at least the compressor cut in pressure and that would be high enough to travel a few miles at say 40mph to get to somewhere you can pump them up properly.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #14

I use the in board compressor to adjust the PSI on my tires. You do need to run the motor but I do this mid day when everyone is busy. If my neighbors are out relaxing I wait. It works fine.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires