RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Using onboard water pump in cold weather

Still new and learning in our full time adventure. We will be facing some pretty cold weather in next few days and I will be disconnecting shore water and using tank water for several days. My question is when using onboard water fully and no shore water is it best to leave your water pump on all the time or cut it off and on when water is needed. Thanks for input all you guys.

revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #2

Water

Depends on how cold it will be, I'd leave it on to move the water whenever the opportunity occurs. Main thing would be to make sure your furnace is on to keep the pipes unfrozen!!

GScherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Will do that. Just wasn't sure about leaving the pump on all the time. Didn't know if it was standard procedure to just leave it on or cycle it on and off as needed. Didn't want to burn it up leaving it on.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It should only run when water delivery is required, so it's basically the same as you cycling it. Just saves on pushing the button(s).
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrick3 View Post
Still new and learning in our full time adventure. We will be facing some pretty cold weather in next few days and I will be disconnecting shore water and using tank water for several days. My question is when using onboard water fully and no shore water is it best to leave your water pump on all the time or cut it off and on when water is needed. Thanks for input all you guys.
revrick3
If you keep the the temperature of the water tank, the water lines and the water pump above 32 degrees F you can leave 12V power to the water pump ON all the time.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Decrepit Forum Advocate

There should be no reason that you should "burn it up" by leaving it on. It is an "on demand" pump and theoretically only operates when water is being used unless there is a leak somewhere. The main reason there is an on/off switch is when you are connected to and using city water, you'd want to turn the switch to the pump off or it will also pull water from the fresh water tank when using water. I say, leave the switch to the pump on.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

You will also find that many of us turn the pump off when we don't expect to use it for a while. Maybe when we are leaving, maybe when we are going to bed. The reason is the same in both cases - if there is a leak then not much water is lost so much less mess. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You will also find that many of us turn the pump off when we don't expect to use it for a while. Maybe when we are leaving, maybe when we are going to bed. The reason is the same in both cases - if there is a leak then not much water is lost so much less mess. ;-)
Yes, agree completely. If not on city water, we will definitely turn our switch to off when leaving and also at night. My answer was addressing the idea of turning the switch on and off each time water is used. I probably should have said, "just leave the switch on during the day when you're there."
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

Another advantage to leaving the pump powered is, if you have a small,hidden leak, the pump will short-cycle every now and then, when not using water for anything, thereby making the leak known.
We do turn the pump off when we leave the RV, because I have personally known a fitting seal to fail while away from the RV. We also shut off external water supply when leaving the RV, for the same reason.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How are you doing in the arctic blast? Any water problems? How is your propane levels working with the furnace?

Give us an update on your experiences.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

Many of us also turn off the campground/city water faucet off if/when we leave the coach for awhile.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
cold weather

Hi I just finished a week or two in 15 to 18 degree weather at night with no problem ... I used a heat tape on my water supply which connected in a pit and stayed warm enough to not freeze... I placed a small space heater in the basement and had no problems at all. The one thing I did do was pulled in the kitchen slide in at night because the water lines are exposed when it's out. It's pex so they say it won't burst but better safe than sorry. Other than that I had no issues.

phil
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
Hi I just finished a week or two in 15 to 18 degree weather at night with no problem ... I used a heat tape on my water supply which connected in a pit and stayed warm enough to not freeze... I placed a small space heater in the basement and had no problems at all. The one thing I did do was pulled in the kitchen slide in at night because the water lines are exposed when it's out. It's pex so they say it won't burst but better safe than sorry. Other than that I had no issues.

phil
A little common sense and effort go along way.

Tags
cold weather, water, water pump