Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #1

Using portable air compressor

I just received a craftman aircompressor 150psi like ive read about on this forum. What am i doing wrong? Ive checked the tire pressure with two different tire guage. The pressure is 77.5 iam wanting to put 82psi in the tire. The compressor will reach 150 on the left gauge and i set the right gauge to 85 or 100 and when i recheck the pressure it is still 77.5 Should the compressor restart or is the tire receiving pressure from the tank without the compressor running? I can push on the stem on the felmale air connector and air comes out. Iam leaving it hooked up for a long time and the left gauge loose pressure. Any ideas? Thanks Jim
lakehouse109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

I set the compressor as high as it will go,,, that will force air into the tire... Then just adjust the tire pressure as needed... If you set the compressor to 82psi to get 82psi in the tire,,, it would take Forever to equalize at that pressure....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
On my 6 gallon craftsman pancake, I have two quick connectors.

The first one is unregulated. The second I can regulate the maximum pressure.

When filling my front tires to 115 psi, I use the unregulated connector (150psi) or set the regulated connector to 150psi.

The compressor will come on at 120psi and shut off at 150 psi. Works great.

If pressing the valve end of the air hose with a screw driver or similar delivers air, then I suspect the valve in your tire's valve stem is off center and not being depressed by the air hose to admit air into the tire.

Therefore no air being delivered into the tire.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

Great air compressor and great forum. Thanks, the value stem was bent.
Jim
lakehouse109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

I bought one, returned it the next day. It would shut of when the gauge read 150psi, but actual output pressure, measured with 3 different and types of gauges was 118 pis. The salesman who accepted the return said the company was seeing a lot of returns because this was not a designed use of the compressor; which was designed and sold for hobby spray painting and silk screening.
I'm back to my Harbor Freight, Viair knockoff, 12 V, 150psi, high volume, compressor. I've had it 6 years now, never has failed me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this 8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears the compressor being discussed? I just bought one and I'm very happy with it so far. I installed Crossfires a few days ago and lost some air from the back tires during the installation. The compressor took two 22.5's in tandem from 80 to 95 psi in less than 5 minutes.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Husky 155psi compressor that Home Depot used to carry.

It handles my front tires @ 105 psi, the rear tires @ 110 psi, I use it to inflate the on-board air tanks as my HWH compressor is not working.

It does a great job on my car and trailer tires too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I need 110 psi in the front, leaving my engine compressor a bit too lame for the job. I picked up a compact 6 gal unit on sale at HF for $104. 150 psi, and enough flow to air up a full size tire without a lunch break! Sorry, pic wouldn't load.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

I love my power tank. Check out powertank. com Been using it for 6 years. Tops off with co2 very fast.
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Turn the knob on the right meter to get the pressure up to 135-150. Then use your air gauge to check your pressures and release air if necessary. After a couple of tires you will get the "feel" for about how long to leave the air hose on the valve stem to get near the pressure you are looking for.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
I love my power tank. Check out powertank. com Been using it for 6 years. Tops off with co2 very fast.
X2 on a CO2 tank. I have one for the Jeep when off-roading to air back up when coming off the trail. Also use it for the MH. Air up very fast.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor