Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
[QUOTE=gemini5362;2285961]I also am going to point out the OP asked about the pitfalls of doing this. I replied in my post the problems I had in much warmer climate than the OP talked about. I also posted what i had done to deal with cold areas such as windows steps etc. I think the OP has some good advice on why he should not do that as well as the advice that I gave and some other advice about long term propane tanks.

It is not the investment that is the issue 300.00 for electric heaters, 125 for heated hose. 100 for extra insulation for windows, 20 dollars for styrofoam for steps. Not much money at all. The consumable costs were the big issue. 100.00 per week minimum for propane. I believe my electric bill where i was at was 175 a month when i ran the electric heaters. ( Long term payed rent and electric) And keep in mind that I only saw below zero temperatures for less than 30 days last winter. Most of the cold days were days 40 degrees and nights in the single digits. Not to mention the nights 40 days 60 we had a few weeks. me Staying in my camper in Ontario during the winter. Not happening in my lifetime.[/Qwi

I don't know where you live but the OP is talking about Canada where temps are at a negative 20 below for most of the winter and the snow covers the ground for 9 months of the years. If memory serves me well, the weatherman said Ontario was 32 below 0 for several weeks last winter. My mother grew up in Idaho where temps are -45 much of the winter. Even heat tape won't protect your pipes then and in the Rockies of Canada mother nature is very unforgiving. I think you'll pay more like $300 or $350 a month for propane. An rv furnace is not known for being economical. If the water pipes burst from the cold it will cost you dearly. Propane does not regulate well below -20 degrees. Know the facts. The cold is not your friend. In Canada you won't wake up in the morning if you run out of propane in the middle of the night.

cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!