Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1914989]Do not see why you do not have the furnace on and water in the fresh water tank and enjoy the ride in a heated coach.
The LP tank was filled in fall so plenty of fuel for heat and keeping the tank areas warm. If it was real cold would place a insulated blanket or piece of insulation on water bay floor to cut out cold.
No need for Gen with furnace on and stretching more miles for travel.
[B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/its-that-time-again-winterize-your-rv-106134.html#post988606
Here is a thread[/URL][/B] with all kinds of winter travel and camping in the cold.
Safe travels and enjoy the ride.
Not all coaches have heat in the basement or even tanks inside the basement. My old Rexhaul coach had the black and grey tanks mounted under the coach directly IN the weather. Heat inside the coach will have little effect on them. If the temps outside are very extreme like they would be in the dead of winter in Minnesota or Canada, it might well be advisable to keep the coach winterized until you get somewhere warmer. The bigger diesel coaches have tanks in the basement with heat and usually don't have this problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Using a jug of water to flush the toilet will be fine. The holding tank being empty will have plenty of expansion room if it does freeze. You can also put a drop light with a 100w bulb close to the tank and run the generator to keep the light on. We also travel with a space heater between the seats to keep the cockpit warm as long as the generator is running.

I didn't say this but in the "old days" we use to pour some 50/50 antifreeze in the holding tank to keep it from freezing. However, times have changed and that is now frowned upon.
Salt (for water softeners) can be used to lower the freezing temp of water in the black tank and today's plastic tanks won't corrode because of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
enjoy your trip, turn on the heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
Salt (for water softeners) can be used to lower the freezing temp of water in the black tank and today's plastic tanks won't corrode because of it.

I have wintered in Upstate NY with zero degree temps and use regular water. Now mind you, my MH may be different than yours. However, I have a 2.5 gallon antifreeze tank for winterization and we have used that to flush and use the toilet normally. The "PINK STUFFF" as many affectionaly refer to potable antifreeze is good to well below zero.

Currently I have about 16 gallons in the back yard which I purchase every year from Wally world at less than $3 per gallon in the early fall. It last for ever, well almost, and would work well in your black and grey tanks. I don't put it in my water tank but only drain the water tank.

try running your heat and drive fast to a warmer climate. once you get down into so carolina you should be ok for the night.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #18

Our tanks are in the basement but do not know anything about the basements being heated. I have the 2004 Four Winds Infinity 32r motorhome. I have so much to learn and I am sure I will learn a lot during this trip. The wife wants to go full time but not me. I always want a home to come back to. But we are planning on taking trips three or four times a year and might be even more. We will tell more after this trip. We bought our motorhome in Florida (flew down to pick it up near Tampa) and drove it home a little over 1,100 miles. First time driving one of these. This is our first motorhome. My wife says I am a natural. Not sure about that. I will learn. Really enjoy driving it. I do not go over 55 or 60mph.
kyrv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We do as most do. that is carry a few gallons of water for flushing , liquids and solids .
Also a few bottles of spring water to drink and make coffee
Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
We do as most do. that is carry a few gallons of water for flushing , liquids and solids .
Also a few bottles of spring water to drink and make coffee
Yes, we have the bottles of spring water to drink and make coffee. Also have plenty of water for flushing. In good shape there.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #21

We have a lacross clock with outside remote for temperature place that remote in the wet bay and turn on your furnace if your wet bay is heated you will see the temperature rise. If it does fill your water tank and run the furnace you'll be able to watch the basement temp either run you water heater all the time or just turn it on whenever you stop for a break it will stay warm for hours.
It's nice to have all comforts while traveling that's why we bought them.

Enjoy your first trip
Elmer
Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is your Brochure for your coach and as ELF11 said turn on your furnace put water in your fresh water tank and enjoy your trip to where ever.
Your coach is heated in the lower tank bays as brochure says and as my coach has and we have traveled in 1* temps many times and camped in same temps.
If I find anything else for you I will post here.
Here is a video about your coach and about the 9:20 mark the salesman goes through the utilities of coach before going inside.
You say you have a Ford chassis but the video will point out the coach function's not just the chassis function's.
If you have the Norcold 4 door fridge you will want to look at this link because there is a recall on that fridge if dealer didn't happen to mention it to you..
Couldn't find a owners manual on coach but I am sure people in Thor Forum will help out with questions.
Good luck with you coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #23

I do have the owners manual on my coach and all the rest that came with the coach. I just need to get it all out and read it. It is a big bag with info on everything in the motorhome. Just never got around to taking it out of the cabinet and reading it as of yet. Just looked through it a little. I also have the brochure you put up in that Thor Four Winds bag. I will try what you suggested. Thanks