Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Using the carpool lane

We live in California and drive a Class A and tow a VW. I called the CHP and asked if we were allowed to drive in the carpool lane while towing. They said 'we don't have anyone in the office that can answer your question, call back later'. That's a big help. Talked with the AAA and they said as long as there are two people in the vehicle I was OK...maybe. I tried doing a search of the California Vehicle Code and came up empty. Anyone have any knowlage of the answer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #2

I can't imagine how it could be illegal--as long as you're doing the speed limit. But that's just my gut feeling.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm trying to visualize a Class A with a toad getting across four lanes of traffic in L.A., first to get into the carpool lane, and then to get over to the exit...

Nope! Can't do it.

But what the hey- looks to me like Triple A told you true. If there aren't any signs restricting it, go for it!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #4

We do it in the Seattle area. There are always two people in the MH. The MH is smaller and more agile than the transit coaches that are HOV lane regulars, particularly the 40' "double talls" that Community Transit runs and the 60' articulated rigs run by other agencies. Until a friendly SP trooper suggests otherwise, I'll run in the HOV lane whenever it makes sense.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DO NOT ENTER THE CARPOOL LANE IN CALIFORNIA WITH YOUR TOW! Any vehicle limited to 55MPH (like any vehicle towing) is prohibited in the HOV lanes anywhere in the state!

CHP-HOV and HOT Lane Information

Also, there are some county's were the HOV (carpool) is 3 people (like Contra Costa) and there are some counties that have a GVWR limit too like here in S.D. These local rules will be posted on signs adjacent to the carpool sign in the median.

Don't ask how I first became aware of these rules...grrrrr! CHP = The biggest revenue collection agency short of the State Franchise Tax Board!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Towing speed limits in CA is 55. I can just imagine the road rage with you in the car pool lane driving 55 when everyone else is trying to do 80. There will be some PO'ed drivers for sure.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We do it in the Seattle area. There are always two people in the MH. The MH is smaller and more agile than the transit coaches that are HOV lane regulars, particularly the 40' "double talls" that Community Transit runs and the 60' articulated rigs run by other agencies. Until a friendly SP trooper suggests otherwise, I'll run in the HOV lane whenever it makes sense.
Right, in Washington state, the RCW does specifically mention that RVs are exempt from the 10,000 lb. weight restriction for trailers so I assume that means motorhomes towing cars also -- click here. No 55 mph speed limit for toad towing in Washington so you are free to keep up with traffic in the HOV lane.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

Regardless of the law, I think it's just plain inconsiderate. The buses that run in the lane just clog it up, you can't see around them, and all kinds of crap gets thrown back at your car when there's no outside shoulder to collect all the debris.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Trucks and Cars with Trailers:
Any vehicle towing a trailer, large trucks, and other vehicles subject to a 55 MPH speed limit cannot use an HOV lane regardless of the number of occupants.
CHP-HOV and HOT Lane Information
Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #10

be generous and use them Calif needs the money
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most HOV lanes are limited to 2+ people in the vehicle, max of 1 ton rated, max of two axles and nothing towed.

Best to check you local requirements.

Ken
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Thanky you Scarab0088 for the link. That's what I was looking for. As for some of the other responces, 'no comment'

debaets
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trucks and Cars with Trailers:
Any vehicle towing a trailer, large trucks, and other vehicles subject to a 55 MPH speed limit cannot use an HOV lane regardless of the number of occupants.

Pretty much sums it up

Ken
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
"But officer, there are two people in the motor home." "I'm not ticketing you for the MH, it's the empty towed vehicle that is the problem."