Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
on hills I just drive it. Dont like the PCM telling me when to downshift. I can usually crest hills within a few hundred rpms of the downshift point (about 1800 rpms) I also noticed on my previous rig and this one... the more constant the engine speed the better mpg.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
While your right foot is on the accelerator, If you tap the brake pedal with your left foot the cruise control will turn off and if under the right load conditions you will unlock the torque converter. The brake switch will tell the ECM to unlock the TCC solenoid, thus you can stay in the same gear but increase your RPM's slightly for more torque.
This is a really good one .I know you are right because I was a Ford mechanic for 45 years .
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was a automobile mechanic for the first 10 years of my working life. Master certified when I was 19. Got out of that and started industrial plant maintenance and that got me into HVAC / Building Automation. That is where I am at now.

I never regret turning the wrench.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #19

I like useing cruise, with my scangauge, on hills I take the cruise off and drive it with my foot, keeps the motor and trans from high revs, but I love cc more relaxing to drive, and you can run in the back and grab a sandwich and a soda

gbstewart
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I keep the LOD display on my SGII on all the time. When my rig hits 83%, I know it's going to downshift, that's when the foot goes on the pedal and CC goes off.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
While your right foot is on the accelerator, If you tap the brake pedal with your left foot the cruise control will turn off and if under the right load conditions you will unlock the torque converter. The brake switch will tell the ECM to unlock the TCC solenoid, thus you can stay in the same gear but increase your RPM's slightly for more torque.

Bug,

Thanks for this- I never heard of it before. A question: When you reactivate the cruise control after unlocking the torque converter-how long will it stay locked out?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seconds.
OK, say you are done pulling the hill. You simply get back to your cruising speed and reactivate the cruise. The converter will lock up as soon as it can, usually within seconds.

Try it on your daily driver. cruise on down the interstate and with your right foot still on the gas tap your brake pedal with your left foot, you will see your RPM's bump up a little, as soon as you let off the brake the converter will lock up.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Seconds.
OK, say you are done pulling the hill. You simply get back to your cruising speed and reactivate the cruise. The converter will lock up as soon as it can, usually within seconds.

Try it on your daily driver. cruise on down the interstate and with your right foot still on the gas tap your brake pedal with your left foot, you will see your RPM's bump up a little, as soon as you let off the brake the converter will lock up.
This can be tough to see I am not sure on the V10 but most fords are about 400 RPM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the camp that thinks CC does a great job on flat land but can cost some MPG on rolling hills. I don't know about long climbs though.

Having said that, my CC is on 99% of the time with the Allison in econ mode... even on long climbs... unless outside temps are high then I "drive the tach" to keep the RPM up.

Is the answer to this question different for DP vs Gasser?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #25

Not sure the difference between gas and diesel. I had a '98 DSDP and with an old style CC. It would run fine on flat but search all over on more than a slight hill. I would always turn it off as soon as we started up any incline. When I got the newer model, I assumed it would be the same and it was easier to control with steering wheel controls, but, we just got back from a trip through the hills of PA from Upstate NY to Md. I used the CC 80% of the time. It would downshift when needed but hold that until crest. I love it. I use my CC on my car almost all the time. It is so much more relaxing, not having to worry about speed creep, up or down. I did notice that this rig goes downhill faster (did not have the exhaust brake on) even with the CC on, it will fly down the hills.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #26

I believe there is a difference between gas coaches and diesel coaches, primarily with the use of CC and the Allison transmission with the 'Economy Mode'. First, Allison employs 'soft cruise' technology which will not rev the engine to maintain highway speed, like both my cars do.

And when in 'Economy Mode', the shift points are delayed, meaning it will let the engine slow down even more before downshifting.

I use CC in the motorhome 99% of the time (if possible). In my cars, I do not rely on cruise control as much, and shut it off to manage going up the hills so the engine doesn't rev up so much and drink that precious fuel.

P.S. In a diesel coach, if you drive with the engine/exhaust brake 'on' in cruise, it will engage when going down a hill, so as to keep that diesel from racing down the hill. On my Freightliner, it was programmed to come on at 7 mph over the cruise speed set point. I had it reprogrammed to come on at 5 mph over the cruise speed set point, and I like it much better.

I find the Allison transmission setup programmed the way I have it, for CC setpoints and the exhaust brake downshift setpoints (4th gear, not 2nd, Latch Mode) a very intelligent system, and it makes driving the coach a dream.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #27

I like it and use it on long trips and I don't think fuel economy would be much different.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use cruise most of the time and let it downshift once on hills, but if I sense it it going to downshift a second time and it will hit over 4000 rpm, I tap the brake to kill cruise until the top of the hill. On long grades the cruise will kill itself for some reason even if it is down one gear and pulling 3400 rpm. Man I wish I had a 6 speed like in my new car. Sure could use some gears between 3 and 4 on the hills.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote