Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #29

RAM keeps talking about a 7.0 Hemi for truck usage. 500 + hp and 600+ torque. Not saying it’d be better than the trusty Ford, but I’d be awesome sounding. I’d want to put on my NHRA hat and run straight pipes on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaGuy View Post
Craig,
My temp gauge never moves past normal, either. Even clumbing....makes me wonder if gauge is working. I may test the sensor in hot water to feel better. Now, another thing guys; #5 was throwing a misfire code. Changed plug and cop...no diff. Checked old cop with old plug by clipping to a ground and it WORKED JUST FINE. Symptoms are: wet plug (gas), rough idle, white exhaust. I pulled the coil wire off the cop while @ IDLE. No difference, so having injectors cleaned today. It's at 54k mi. so about due. Will update. NOTE: only use platinum plugs to replace a platinum plug. Happy trails!
I know mine is working because I hear when the fan comes on and its usually as I finish a hard pull and sometimes during.
Your misfire doesn't sound good from what you are describing. I think you need to do a compression test on that hole.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #31

Triple E Owners Club
Loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I run up hill climbs at 4400 RPMs. The V10 will handle that all day.
Sure its loud, but the DW and just I don't talk while climbing mountains.
We have only owned the one A Class RV, and that is our current Triple E. We find that even after 45 years together, we can easily carry on a normal volume conversation in the RV. We hear so much about the loudness in some gasser RVs. Fact or fiction, and if fact, would lt have anything to do with build quality..?

I’ve had our doghouse off and it’s very well built and very well insulated. The real good quality of the carpeting.

We would buy another gasser, but probably another Triple E.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
We have only owned the one A Class RV, and that is our current Triple E. We find that even after 45 years together, we can easily carry on a normal volume conversation in the RV. We hear so much about the loudness in some gasser RVs. Fact or fiction, and if fact, would lt have anything to do with build quality..?

I’ve had our doghouse off and it’s very well built and very well insulated. The real good quality of the carpeting.

We would buy another gasser, but probably another Triple E.

I can't compare anything as this 2017 Bounder 35K is the only motorhome I have ever driven. But I have driven lots of trucks, tractors, buses, tanks etc. Some of the trucks were much quieter than the MH. Most were much louder. The normal flat land driving in the Bounder produces very little engine noise. The huge echo box called my motorhome is pretty noisy. In heavy freeway traffic we can hear lots of the outside noise produced by other vehicles.

But we find none of this as an annoyance and it sure doesn't stop us from talking to each other.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #33

Blown engine

Hi All
Well, here's the latest. 1999 v10 2 valve, 54k mi. Cyl 4 had no fire code. No obvious signs other than slight miss. New plug & cop; no change. Test fire plug out of cyl; good. Plug was wet when removed, so it had fuel. Compression test showed ZERO! Pulled valve cover; loose cam journals, worn cam, worn cam cap on #4. Don't know cause because previous 48k miles unknown. Going to install long nlock due to metal contamination.
Do compression test early in diagnosis.
PeoriaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #34

Long block

Do replacement long blocks come with upped h.p, ratings? I'm talking camshaft, injectors, piston, etc.
Not Banks systems or plug in boosters....
PeoriaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked into Ford Remans.. The non-pi runs about $1800. (good price) I didn't check availability. Thats blocks, heads, I'm not sure about valve cover or oil pan. No sensors, intake, or exhaust manifolds.

the non-pi and pi are not interchangeable, different intakes and exhaust.

I think you can drop it out the bottom without removing the axle..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Just bought my first V-10, '99 w/50k on a 32' Southwind. I also tow a 3,800 toad. She gets up to 65 mph on the flat, but must downshift out of o.d. on even slight inclines. A 4% climb is 35 mph in 2nd, and a 6% slows to 12-15 mph in First! I call that gutless.
Is this normal, or should I expect more? It starts and runs smoothly, but I have not done a thing to it since buying it 2,000 miles ago. Thanks 4 any help you can give..
I have a 1999 37S Pace Arrow with the Triton V-10 engine. It's a great and very relieable engine But, with only a 4-speed transmission behind it, and with the extra weight of a tow it will downshit to 3rd with a slight grade, this is normal. Found in the mountains many times in 1st at 15 to 20 mph. My tow was on a dolly an F-150 crewcab pickup. My normal cruising speed was 55 mph with a top cruise of 60 mph anything over that was pushing it and fuel milage would drop. I have a K&N cold air intake which helps, also a reprogrammer will help. what is really needed is a 6 speed transmission but cost. Air intake and reorogrammer will improve performance a lot, full synthic oil is a must. I'm gonna get a smaller & much lighter tow vehicle. The V-10 I have is 475 hp, plenty of hp not enough gears, so it's gonna have it's limitations.
ASE Master
Mike
c21cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21cg View Post
I have a 1999 37S Pace Arrow with the Triton V-10 engine. It's a great and very relieable engine But, with only a 4-speed transmission behind it, and with the extra weight of a tow it will downshit to 3rd with a slight grade, this is normal. Found in the mountains many times in 1st at 15 to 20 mph. My tow was on a dolly an F-150 crewcab pickup. My normal cruising speed was 55 mph with a top cruise of 60 mph anything over that was pushing it and fuel milage would drop. I have a K&N cold air intake which helps, also a reprogrammer will help. what is really needed is a 6 speed transmission but cost. Air intake and reorogrammer will improve performance a lot, full synthic oil is a must. I'm gonna get a smaller & much lighter tow vehicle. The V-10 I have is 475 hp, plenty of hp not enough gears, so it's gonna have it's limitations.
ASE Master
Mike
My 1999 V10 Ford is 245 HP. How are you getting 475hp from yours ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Seems a bit sluggish to me. Our 35 footer does much better.
are you towing a two ton vehicle?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My 1999 V10 Ford is 245 HP. How are you getting 475hp from yours ?
X2 ???
Old 08-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Should I run above 3500 turns without worry?
For the life of me I can not understand why people think it is ok to run any motor at 4500 rpms even for a little while when it is not necessary. 4500 rpms is seventy five revs every second!!! I just read about a cam shaft bearing failure in a V 10 and no one knew why. I would hazard a guess. too many times at 75revs a second. When was the last time you have heard of a cam shaft bearing failure in a modern V 8?

The motor gives up about 435lbs torque at 3300 and that should do just fine. Can anyone imagine how much extra weight those 75 revs per second add to the part?

It is your motor and you drive it like you want to but why put that much extra strain on the motor when it is not necessary? And it is allot of extra stress. Not to mention the extra gas. JMHO
Old 08-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Just bought my first V-10, '99 w/50k on a 32' Southwind. I also tow a 3,800 toad. She gets up to 65 mph on the flat, but must downshift out of o.d. on even slight inclines. A 4% climb is 35 mph in 2nd, and a 6% slows to 12-15 mph in First! I call that gutless.
Is this normal, or should I expect more? It starts and runs smoothly, but I have not done a thing to it since buying it 2,000 miles ago. Thanks 4 any help you can give..
My previous 29' C class with the V10 did the same. It's one of the reasons I bought a DP. That V10 was dead-reliable, but MAN! That screaming Triton going uphills used to be unnerving. I got passed by everything. Again, it was reliable and never required ANY service (inc the tranny). I towed a Dodge Caravan in August through the Nevada and Cali deserts, as well as the Rockies without any issues. That doghouse covering the engine sure got hot though!
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
For the life of me I can not understand why people think it is ok to run any motor at 4500 rpms even for a little while when it is not necessary. 4500 rpms is seventy five revs every second!!! I just read about a cam shaft bearing failure in a V 10 and no one knew why. I would hazard a guess. too many times at 75revs a second. When was the last time you have heard of a cam shaft bearing failure in a modern V 8?

The motor gives up about 435lbs torque at 3300 and that should do just fine. Can anyone imagine how much extra weight those 75 revs per second add to the part?

It is your motor and you drive it like you want to but why put that much extra strain on the motor when it is not necessary? And it is allot of extra stress. Not to mention the extra gas. JMHO
The V10 was built to withstand those moderately high rpms. Lots of motors rev in that range and some higher. It won't hurt the motor to rev over 3500 as long as the motor has been maintained. I just came through the rockies twice and I couldn't have done some of the hills at 3300 rpm.I'm not saying drive at 4500 rpm for long periods but don't be afraid to do do it for short bursts going up a hill or passing.