Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

V-10 oil change on the road

My wife and I are taking longer trips which means we aren't always at home and our local dealer for an oil change when due.

Do I have to plan ahead and make an appointment at an RV dealer that can handle my Vista 26 HE or are some of the oil change chains (Jiffy Lube for example) able to handle an RV on their lift?

I guess this question comes under the heading, "Things the dealer didn't tell you when moving from an F-250 and 5th wheel to a class A" or "Its part of the OJT learning process."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a bit confused why you would need a lift to do oil change. I just lower the front levelers to get a bit more undercarriage room (don't really need to but it's more convenient) then crawl under and change the oil and filter.
Campgrounds we've been in don't seem to mind a bit of maintenance as long as you don't make a mess.
Happy travels

Old 05-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do the same and change the oil and filter myself. Only holds seven quarts.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Depending on the height of your rig, you may find that many oil change outlets may not be able to accommodate your rig. Some have pits that you can drive over but again, height and the presence of duals can impact. Like Hochmuth57 states, you can take the job on yourself if you are able. It isn't that hard to do the change, you just need a way of capturing the used oil when you drain it and a flat place to work. Some oil change places might just choose to do the work on that basis as well. Probably takes about 1/2 hour to do the job. My biggest challenge is that the oil filler pipe in the front isn't really well suited to pouring in the new oil. No room above the spout. So I end up moving the engine cover in the the cab off and pouring the oil in to the valve covers (should be a cap that you can remove).

5w-20 I believe.

The other option is to go to a full synthetic oil. You can roughly double the interval between changes and all you might need to do is top it up a bit between changes.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Around here Jiffy lude and such do not use a lift for oil changes, they have pits the vehicle drives over. If you really need the oil changed when on the road, I'd check for a local Ford dealer or a shop that services trucks before I'd use a place like Jiffy lube. If you do make sure you double check the oil level before you start the engine. They have been know to not refill the engine with oil around here.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

In my mind, I'm still driving my F-250 instead of the class A, hence the lift for the oil change. I'll check with a Ford dealer instead of the quick oil change chains.

I have some physical issues which preclude me from crawling under the rig to do it myself.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

You may need to take it to a Ford Truck Center. My Chevy dealership up the street from me cannot get my coach in the bay. I be end up taking it the GMC Buick Heavy Truck dealership to be serviced. About 30 minutes further away but they are former Workhorse Dealership and all is good.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camping World, RV service centers, truck service centers, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Most Ford dealerships around here would be able to get that rig in.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Thanks again. I was not considering the RV dealers due to the long lead time for an appointment. At home, my dealer is usually 2-3 weeks for an oil change, depending on their work load. I think I will check with the campground host for recommendations of Ford dealers in the area or anyone else who gives reliable service with only a day or two notice.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #11

I would be very weary on using these chain lube places. I know they purchase the cheapest oil filters they can get. The oil im not totally sure about. Here is an oil filter I removed when working at the dealer where this hard working van needed an oil change. The pictures speak for themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130930_090520275.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	63999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130930_090513489.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	64000  

Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Camping World, RV service centers, truck service centers, etc.

Also a CG may be able to point you to mobile truck/RV service that will come to you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've switched to Mobil 1 Extended oil for just that reason, changing oil on a trip is not what I had in mind. The only place I've found it is Walmart...about $7 a quart.

It is rated to go 15,000 miles between changes. I'll go about 5,000 or so between changes that I do myself. I can do a round trip from California to Miami and back with no need to change oil.

As jamesrxx951 pointed out about the importance of a good oil filter...I always go to a dealer to buy my filters as there are a lot of counterfeit oil filters on the market.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
Thanks again. I was not considering the RV dealers due to the long lead time for an appointment. At home, my dealer is usually 2-3 weeks for an oil change, depending on their work load. I think I will check with the campground host for recommendations of Ford dealers in the area or anyone else who gives reliable service with only a day or two notice.
We got one oil change from an RV dealer... $140. Next time we went to a Ford Commercial Truck dealership...$39.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote