Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

V-Nose trailer

I'm having a V nose trailer built, but trying to figure out if 22 inch tongue is long enough for it not to hit the Moho when going up a steep incline into a gas station or such. Anyone have any insight?
Motoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

Or turning, go 60". They call it 60", that's from the box
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxdad View Post
I'm having a V nose trailer built, but trying to figure out if 22 inch tongue is long enough for it not to hit the Moho when going up a steep incline into a gas station or such. Anyone have any insight?
Motoxdad,
Just wondering, why you're wanting the short tongue? On our V-nose 7' x 16' trailer, it had what ever the company built for a tongue and, it worked nicely in all situations. As you more than likely know, the longer the tongue, the easier it is to back things up. The shorter tongue, the harder and more reactive it is when backing. And, like other answers you've received, the more potential issues you'll have with close clearances in tighter turns both while transitioning from street to driveway and, also during a turn. If you're aware of all this, then good luck on your search.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Motoxdad,

Just wondering, why you're wanting the short tongue? On our V-nose 7' x 16' trailer, it had what ever the company built for a tongue and, it worked nicely in all situations. As you more than likely know, the longer the tongue, the easier it is to back things up. The shorter tongue, the harder and more reactive it is when backing. And, like other answers you've received, the more potential issues you'll have with close clearances in tighter turns both while transitioning from street to driveway and, also during a turn. If you're aware of all this, then good luck on your search.

Scott

Scott, I was trying to figure out if that length tongue will be ok because the company my trailer is being made from does not have any longer tongue options than 22in. for the v nose.

What is your tongue length from the front of V to the coupler if you don't mind me asking?
Motoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #5

I just went out and measured the hitch on my snowmobile trailer.
Blizzard model 2066
V-Nose Snowmobile Box

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see a likeness.

My hitch measures 30" from the front of the "V" to the center of the hitch ball socket. The "V" design will allow for a much shorter hitch length than a conventional flat front trailer as the swept back design allows for more clearance when backing and turning. I have had this trailer backed up at a nearly 90 deg. angle trying to back into a space and have clearance to drop the "V" door down to unload the race sleds with no problem.
I don't think a 22" hitch would be an issue. I'm sure the builder has done their homework and tested the design.
Another option you would have is to buy an extended hitch to slide into the receiver of your tow vehicle. Some receivers are tucked right up tight to the bumper or even behind the bumper so you don't bang your leg against the receiver every time you walk behind the vehicle.
Lynn
Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

I should also add you will never have a problem going up inclines or anywhere else. The angle would have to be severe for the rear of your MH to contact the front of the trailer.
Lynn