Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

V10 Catastrophic Engine Failure at 5,324 miles

For those who are looking to obtain any Motorhome with the Ford F53 chassis and a V10 I will caution you!!! You have been forewarned!!

Our 2015 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ with a Ford F53/V10 engine and only 5,324 miles, yes I said 5,324 miles on it...has been down for the past 10 days and at its 3rd Ford dealer in 2 states since it's block gained a fist size hole while going through a school zone in Virginia.

Yes, I email'd and left voicemails with Nate Hedges who blew me off and sent me to Jordan Ford who helped more than Nate.

We live in this motorhome as we closed on the sale of our home to full time in this rig and have been rendered essentially homeless due to 2 incompetent Ford dealers in Charlottesville and Richmond, VA.

Now we have found out from the 3rd Ford Dealer in Greensboro, NC that our home was towed from Richmond, VA to them with the driveshaft intact and not pulled which means transmission is possibly shot. I guess we will live with our 2 dogs in our 2006 Jeep Wrangler as its more reliable, even if it is a toad.

After these dealings with Ford and Coachmen/Forest River we have lost all faith with any product with a F53 chassis and V10 engine and Coachmen.

We need our motorhome in Knoxville, TN by Oct 28th as we have purchased a rig with a more trustful Cummings 425hp rig and we were laughed at when we were at the repair facility in Greensboro, NC.

Personally my wife and I don't think this is at all funny that the Ford service guy laughed at us in Greensboro when we gave him until Oct 28th since we need to turn in Coachmen/Forest Rivers motorhome with Fords POS engine for trade in on a far superior product.

Also since it was towed with driveshaft connected from Richmond, VA Ford dealer to Greensboro, NC via Fords Towing choice.. :hint: I will deal with that personally at some point... of course Ford will replace tranny as well as the engine and include full warranty for both.

Coachmen/Forest River has lost a loyal customer as we also used to own a Forest River Cedar Cedar Creek 5th wheel.

As we were under warranty.. Stay away from anything Ford or V10..Fords Roadside Assist is to blame as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck on getting the motorhome operational by Oct 28th, seems like a long order escpecially since you are dealing with a warranty issue.

My suggestion is to contact Ford directly, go right to top, keep a log of phone calls and paper trail of correspondence.

Do same thing with the coach manufacturer and tow companies.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

2 posts and now an expert?

First V10 failure I've ever heard about so they are all bad? Sorry for your misfortune but to rant that all of the Ford V10's are unreliable is totally irresponsible. Cool down.
One of the best powertrains out there and I used to be a GM guy.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

They are the ONLY gas powered MH on the market.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

Very rare event, thousands of V-10 gassers on the road. I wonder what the actually cause of failure is?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel about the situation.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #7

Most displeasing to say the least, not the engine failure.... but the treatment by Ford warranty roadside assist idiots, 3 POS Ford service departments, the assinign tow truck company who towed with drive shaft in and most importantly Coachmen/Forest River who "threw us under the bus" to deal with Ford by ourselves with no recourse.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Don't blame Coachmen/Forest River, they did not make the
chassis or the engine......
Old 10-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Don't blame Coachmen/Forest River, they did not make the
chassis or the engine......
Last time I checked... you stood up for your brandname and if you get caught using subpar materials you deal with it...not blow it off and have customer do it for you. Therefore I hold both accountable equally.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #10

Man it seems like everyone treats you poorly. Better luck with Cummings I hope.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #11

First off the Ford v10 has a very good reliability record so this is a very rare occurance. In fact you hear of very few issues with the v10. Not sure what happened in your case. Maybe just bad luck or perhaps there is more to the story. In any case why would you expect the coach mfr to deal with this when your warranty is with Ford? And why would you make a trade-in deal when you know the coach is in the shop? I get that this is your home and that you need a place to live but that is one of the risks of full timing.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

It is indeed unfortunate that you've experienced problems with your motorhome with such few miles. I assure you that nobody at Ford intends for you to get so jacked around. Sounds like you've experienced a people problem.

Every major city has a dealer that sells medium size commercial trucks and that includes the RV cab/chassis. Your Ford cab/chassis is not commonly serviced by your common neighborhood Ford dealership as they won't have the large shop and lifts required to change engines.

With Richmond being a large city, there should have been a medium duty truck dealership that could handle your job. And getting a new engine installed shouldn't have required towing it 200 mile to Greensboro.

You need to contact Ford Motor Company's customer service department and try to find if they have a specialized medium truck service representative handling the Greensboro area. Ask for a face to face visit, as the service reps are on the road visiting dealerships on a schedule. You should demand a completely new engine since the engine's so low miles--and not settle for just a long block.

If you're unable to get the truck fixed promptly, ask them to move your rig to Ford's big truck dealership in Knoxville. They can handle it.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
First off the Ford v10 has a very good reliability record so this is a very rare occurance. In fact you hear of very few issues with the v10. Not sure what happened in your case. Maybe just bad luck or perhaps there is more to the story. In any case why would you expect the coach mfr to deal with this when your warranty is with Ford? And why would you make a trade-in deal when you know the coach is in the shop? I get that this is your home and that you need a place to live but that is one of the risks of full timing.
I assure you.. with 5,324 how can there be more to the story? Want to see pictures of hole in the block? Want to see picture of oil filter intact?
As for the trade..it's our home..I can't live in 2006 Jeep Wrangler with 2 dogs..plus my wife and I are both disabled veterans. We closed on the selling of our sticks and bricks house to full time Rv.
We need something reliable and I can't trust a V10 anymore.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #14

Has Ford determined what caused the failure? Has Ford stated they wont cover it under warranty?

Closed Thread

Tags
cat, engine, v10