Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

V10 Engine Spark Plug Blowout

I was told that the V10 engines made by ford had probems with the spark plugs blowing out. Does anyone know about this, I have a 2000 model.
Will H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

I had a 1999 and never had a problem. I really think this would have been on the eariler models.I read on a forum that if it occured it was a head problem and there was a recall.When I tried to find a recall there was not one for my model and year
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a friend with a 1999 and he did loose a plug at about 90,000miles. It burnt up all the wiring on top of the engine and caused lots of damage. Since then he found out that there is some kit that will fix the problem. I don't know if it was from Ford or a third party. Ask the Ford dealer in your area and if they don't know about the spark plug problem, don't argue, just go to another dealer. The dealer my friend went to denied that there was a problem and ended up making a mess of his engine and he ended up getting a new engine.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will H View Post
I was told that the V10 engines made by ford had probems with the spark plugs blowing out. Does anyone know about this, I have a 2000 model.
I don't know the specifics about the problem, but I have heard the same. If it happens there is a relatively inexpensive tool (compared to a shop doing it) that allows you to install an insert. The kit has everything that is needed to do the repair. This kit allows you to do the repair with out having to remove the heads.
Here is a link for the tool kit:
https://www.belmetric.com/ts5553-for...th=217_548_549

Here is a video that shows how to do the install:

Did you have a plug blow out? Or, Are you just concerned about it happening?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
see contents, #11 Spark Plug Issues
Ford Modular engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Will H, we have a 2000 v10 powered coach and at 75,000 miles no problems with plugs.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #7

it does occur on the 1st gen V-10. Ford and the aftermarket have repair kits for them
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #8

As posted above, it Is a known problem on earlier V10's. The way I was told by a friend who works on them, is there were not enough threads holding the plug into the aluminum heads. You'd be very wise to fix it with an above mentioned kit before it blows a plug and causes damage $$$....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #9

retired ford tech, Yes the older v10 and v8 modular motors had a problem blowing plugs. Yes, not enough threads in the head. We techs at ford found the leading cause was improperly torqed plugs. If a plug is overtorqued, it will strain the threads and cause a blowout. Any modular ford engine built after 96 has iridium plugs installed at the engine plant in Winsor Michigan. No plug replacement needed untell 100k miles. The engine will need coils a long time before that (about 60k miles). The defictive coils will cause erratice idle and stumble on hard accell and will not set a code or turn on check engine light. Hope this helps.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #10

forgot to mention this. Ford has a repair kit to repair blown out threads in the cyl head without removal.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
retired ford tech, Yes the older v10 and v8 modular motors had a problem blowing plugs. Yes, not enough threads in the head. We techs at ford found the leading cause was improperly torqed plugs. If a plug is overtorqued, it will strain the threads and cause a blowout. Any modular ford engine built after 96 has iridium plugs installed at the engine plant in Winsor Michigan. No plug replacement needed untell 100k miles. The engine will need coils a long time before that (about 60k miles). The defictive coils will cause erratice idle and stumble on hard accell and will not set a code or turn on check engine light. Hope this helps.
Windsor Mi ?
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
My '01 had started misfiring around 60K. It set codes all over the place, and the ScanGauge II would go crazy, but no CE light. I started researching and learned of the short thread count and started sweating bullets over changing the plugs.

I don't know how many sets of plugs I have changed over the years, but more than a few. I was terrorized at the thought of doing this myself, but alas, more terrorized of paying to have it done and the cost of the coils at the dealer. The cheap side of the force won out so I got a set of plugs locally and ordered a set of eight coils w/boots from Ebay @ $9 ea. and bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight (The first one I ever owned since my white knuckles were always pretty well calibrated).

In my research I found a very good set of step by step instructions and DIY'd it. After a 250 mile test drive, I swapped out two leftover coils with other old ones, did another 100 miles, and, 28K miles later have yet to have a misfire.

Seems the engine is running better now (@ 85K) than when new. Copilot agrees.

See my trail and error saga here if you are interested! http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/plugs...-my-52351.html

OBTW, my steps still have a mind of there own!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2000 model, and I've had the SP blowout. In van models you'll find it is the #3 plug that blows and the F models it is the #5 plug that blows. That made my research very interesting because the most difficult plugs to install are the #3 and the #5 respectivly. The only conclusion I could come to is they were not installed properly (sloppy work)
The blow out happened 3000 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon. Continued driving to a relatives home where we could stay. The repair (Ford authorised at a Ford dealer by a trained tech), 10 new plugs, and all filters and oil changed (my insistance) cost me $500. The tip off is the sound of an exhaust leak, my wife heard it, I didn't (I'm some what deaf)
Our rig is an ex rental, purchased with 1002 miles on the odometer, at 1010 the plug launched. The spark plugs were changed, tires, filters etc replaced before I took ownership. This was confirmed by the dealership that done the repair as the plugs appeared to be new and did not need replacement. I've rechecked the work myself, the plugs are well seated (proper torque with a torque wrench) and I no longer have any fear of SP blowout. The V10 is a damm good engine, look after it and it will serve you well.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Read this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/chang...-a-124581.html
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10