Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thought on running down the road overloaded or beyond the rated capacity of your hitch, if you were involved in an accident and you were found to be negligent by investigators, it could go bad for you. Be safe.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2000HR Admiral with the 310hp V10 and had a great time with family with this setup. I was worried about the tongue weight, so decided to get the trailer toad to take all the tongue weight off the coach. I have trailer brakes and can stop really well. I get about 6.5-7mpg without running generator, and 5.5 to 6.0 mpg when I run the generator all weekend.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #17

We're just a little further down your path than you are. This past spring we purchased a new [leftover] 2008 Fleetwood Southwind 37c on the Ford Chassis w/362Hp V-10 in order to attend amateur motocross events with our 15 year old son. The 37c is almost 38ft long and comes in at about 19500 empty and I suppose were about 21K down the road. In addition we pull a 14 ft featherlite enclosed trailer that comes in at about 2500 lb.
As one who grew up on the farm driving all sorts of machinery and an automotive shop owner for 25 years my opinions of this setup are--

1- A 38ft gasser with 3 slides is really stretching the limit of the F-53 chassis and engine, On flat ground with no wind the The V-10 pulls this setup better than 415 cubic inches has any right to [I usually run between 62 and 65mph] But throw in hills and maybe a headwind and we struggle. Interstate 80 between Omaha Ne and DesMoines Ia is about 140 miles of continual long up and down hills of moderate grades. Many of these we struggle to hold 55mph with our setup while Late model diesel pickups towing large 5th wheels blow past us @ the speed limit on a regular basis.
2- Our fuel mileage is better than expected, with no wind and running about 62 we pulled 8.2 as a best.. Ive seen as low as 5.5 in a head wind
3- I really love this engine as we've seen very few problems in the shop, especially with the 3valve versions but IMO it is much better suited in a 34ft or shorter. 23k lb is just a bit of a stretch for this engine especially when conditions are not perfect
4- Recently test drove a 40 Ft Fleetwood Discovery with the 350 Hp Cummins isb. And while some claim this setup is underpowered I can tell you this unit pulled hills far better than mine. There is a fairly long moderate hill north of town which our Southwind struggles to hold 60 mph @ about 3200 rpm Driving the Discovery on the same road in same conditions it easily held 70mph without a downshift [both motorhomes unloaded]
5- Brakes are lightyears better in a DP
7- Ride is no comparison
8- End result, we are selling a convenience store we own, if/when it sells a DP is in our future. The Southwind is a great motorhome and in the right situation would be perfect, but, since I have to be back at work Monday morning I dont have the option of "sitting out the wind'' or driving 50mph etc etc when conditons are not perfect
Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Am I nuts, but wouldn't a ford diesel in a motor home be better than the V10 gas?
I had a v10 Excursion and a diesel Excursion and the diesel would out pull the V10 easy and I got 8.5 mpg on the gas v10 and 18 mpg with the diesel.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma175 View Post
....................................... used MH that will pull the race trailer. . .
if possible, do not put advertising on the trailer. I hear and read, that some States now might check for a CDL when a Trailer has some promotional Adververtising on it....
Hope not?

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #20

There is a reason all big rig trucks use diesel motors. They pull big loads better. Towing 5,200 lbs qualifies as a fairly big load. Drive both types and then you decide. After having a rig with the motor in the rear I will NEVER go back to a motor in the front.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
I have owned a 04 v10, 05 workhorse, and now a ISL 400. The Cummins ISL is by far the most maint. expence. The Workhorse V8 will get you there with a little more noise, but if you are not full timing, and on a budget, forget the diesel.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #22

We have a 2000 Winne Adventurer 37G with one slide. 275hp v-10. We pull a 20ft open trailer approx 1500lbs(?) and 4 utility atvs at 700-800 lbs each. So thats 4300-4700lbs. We have no problems whatsoever towing in the flatland of WI. Im not a "take your time and enjoy the scenery" type driver either. When we got the ATVs we want to get there and ride. Stopping in not a problem at all either. Our trips with the ATVs are usually 150-200 miles one way anywhere from 5.5-7.5 mpg. Just giving you my experinces. It is our first RV and I didnt want to buy an expensive RV, but I am a diesel lover and our next will most likely be a diesel. But I gotta admit, I am impressed with the 275hp gasser.

BTW you can definately hear the v-10 motor when you gotta start turning it over 3500 rpms, but Im a gearhead so I like hearing engines sing to me. Never been in a diesel pusher, so I dont know how quiet they are.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Matt, I don't know where I've been but I've never seen or heard of a "trailer toad" before other than with semi's. I like the idea and wonder about how it handles, especially turning and can you back up with it? We use them with the trailers where I work (different department) and I think they call them articulators? Anyway it seems like a unique way to use a heavier trailer.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the V10 because we don't drive enough miles per year, aprox 10000 miles. I could not justify the higher costs of the DP. Although I sure tried. We pull an enclosed trailer with Smart car and Goldwing plus the other items needed. We run in the 7.2 to 8.0 depending on terrain and wind. I run at 60 mph on the interstates and posted otherwise. The mountains do slow you down but I'm still passing semi's on the grade.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Hi Matt, I don't know where I've been but I've never seen or heard of a "trailer toad" before other than with semi's. I like the idea and wonder about how it handles, especially turning and can you back up with it? We use them with the trailers where I work (different department) and I think they call them articulators? Anyway it seems like a unique way to use a heavier trailer.
Steve, it handles really well. I sometimes think it handles better with the trailer than without. Pulling a rig with overall length of 67' you have to be careful where you pull in, but you can lock the toad to back up if need be. My main reason for getting it was to not stress the rear of the coach and risk cracking frame and getting slides out of alignment. The biggest thing that made my coach ride good on the F53 chassis is the alignment, new tires and Koni FSD shocks. I'd eventually like to get a diesel some day, but this one is paid for and does the job nicely. I think next year I will get it "chipped" and look at exhaust.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #26

my 454 vs V10 comparison

MPG
I used to have an 84 36 ft class A w/ 454. I got 10 mpg driving Cauli-formia,Nevada and in the Sierra Nevadas to 6000 ft, and got 9-11 mpg. 25000 miles driven.

454 VS V10
Now I have had a Rex w/ a 2001 V-10 I bought in 03. I have put on about 20K and get 10-11 w/ similar conditions.
Frankly there wasnt enough difference in performance between the two for me to notice .

The 454 was easy to do minor repairs on...my V10 is too new for repairs,but Im not too confident if and when that time ever comes.

TOWING A LOAD
The 454 I pulled a c class on a high deck eq trlr from Chico to PalmSprings about 600 miles and did fine and mpg still 9-10 mpg on ,.
A Diesel..though Id like to have one,I just cant justify the price difference and I sure couldnt work on one if I needed to.

MILEAGE
The key to mileage,from my experience is
2-From a "best mileage standpoint I must maintain below 2000 or 2500 rpm when at cruise
3-Greatly slow the rate of building my speed up to my crusing speed.
4- keep my rpm fairly consistent. I keep it below 2000 or 2500 rpm which is about 50 mph on generally level
Some Hills can vary from 25 to 45 mph at that rpm.
When I come to any stop like lights,signs etc I slow waaaay early and rarely even need the brakes until the last few feet .
Not being in a hurry or impatient is necessary to attain best mpg too
I sure could go faster,but its not enough to save any real time. Besides my mpg would drop to 6 to 8 mpg. When Im in a hurry thats what happens.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
MPG
I used to have an 84 36 ft class A w/ 454. I got 10 mpg driving Cauli-formia,Nevada and in the Sierra Nevadas to 6000 ft, and got 9-11 mpg. 25000 miles driven.

454 VS V10
Now I have had a Rex w/ a 2001 V-10 I bought in 03. I have put on about 20K and get 10-11 w/ similar conditions.
Frankly there wasnt enough difference in performance between the two for me to notice .

The 454 was easy to do minor repairs on...my V10 is too new for repairs,but Im not too confident if and when that time ever comes.

TOWING A LOAD
The 454 I pulled a c class on a high deck eq trlr from Chico to PalmSprings about 600 miles and did fine and mpg still 9-10 mpg on ,.
A Diesel..though Id like to have one,I just cant justify the price difference and I sure couldnt work on one if I needed to.

MILEAGE
The key to mileage,from my experience is
2-From a "best mileage standpoint I must maintain below 2000 or 2500 rpm when at cruise
3-Greatly slow the rate of building my speed up to my crusing speed.
4- keep my rpm fairly consistent. I keep it below 2000 or 2500 rpm which is about 50 mph on generally level
Some Hills can vary from 25 to 45 mph at that rpm.
When I come to any stop like lights,signs etc I slow waaaay early and rarely even need the brakes until the last few feet .
Not being in a hurry or impatient is necessary to attain best mpg too
I sure could go faster,but its not enough to save any real time. Besides my mpg would drop to 6 to 8 mpg. When Im in a hurry thats what happens.
You might be one of the lucky few to get that kind of mileage, esecially on a coach that large. We have rarely gotten over 9 mpg from the day our coach was new. I do most of the driving and follow the same guidelines as you mentioned. The coach rarely exceeds 60 mph and when it does it's going down a long decline. When things were new we could get 9 mpg if the wind was in the right direction and all the stars were aligned correctly. Now whe we use gas with 10% to 15% ethanol in the gas mileage has slipped to 7.5 mpg.
I was talking to the Ford rep at the Winnebago Grand National convention last year about the improvements on the new chassis and what mileage might be expected. I also happened to mention that on occasion before the introduction of ethanol we would sneak into the 9.+ mpg range, but that was rare. His response was, "That's about all you can expect, anyone who claims to get double digit mileage on a V V10 powered F53 chassis should recheck their math".
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I see a difference in 1 to 2 mpg everytime I put in E10.