Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 AM   #29

AHRMA175, I have a 37 ft 2007 Georgetown gas F53 v10 362 h.p.. I pull a 22ft Wells Cargo trailer with a model A Ford in it four times a year long distance. I have no problem keeping 60 mph through Penn. rt 81 which is hills more than flats. I get 6-7 mpg and never use cruise control (revs too high). The trailer and car weigh 4400 lbs. Would a diesel be better? yes. But you have to weigh out the initial price and maintenance cost of a diesel compared to a gas. My gas serves me well, has been west from N.Y. to CAL twice, has a real nice interior and easy on the wallet maintenance. The newer F53 chassis with 22.5 tires are better than the older chassis in ride, transmission and h.p.. Good luck in your selection.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can anybody explain to me what it is that makes diesel maintenance so much more expensive than gas engine maintenance? I am in the market for a MH and have no idea why one should have dramatic higher maintenance cost than the other?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #31

Last week we took our 20,500 lb 2006 F-53 towing a Saturn Outlook (5,000 lbs.) with the 362 hp V10 over Breckenridge pass in Colorado (11,400 ft.). I went about 35 mph at the top while keeping the rpms under 4300. Believe it or not but gassers actually are able to cross mountains.

I was very pleased with the performance and that section of the trip we got 7.4 mpg.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Can anybody explain to me what it is that makes diesel maintenance so much more expensive than gas engine maintenance? I am in the market for a MH and have no idea why one should have dramatic higher maintenance cost than the other?
Definitely a debatable subject. But for starters....

The coach interior and components such as plumbing, electrical, heating/cooling, slide(s) etc will be the same maintenance costs whether its on a gas or diesel chassis.

There is little difference in normal routine maintenance costs on the engine itself. Air filters, fuel filters, trans filters all are negligible in costs between the two different platforms although the diesel will be the higher of the two. The perceived higher maintenance cost comes into play due to the chassis. The diesel chassis are substantially more complex with the air system which include 4 Air springs, generally 7 different air relays or valves, an air dryer or dessicant canister of some sort. As long as you keep your air dryer filter changed on a regular basis you will prevent contamination in the air system wreaking havoc with the other air components. Although I havent found an air valve yet that is over $50.00 on my Diesel MH. Additionally, brake linings and rebuild kits are dirt cheap in my opinion on the heavier chassis. Most diesel chassis MH's cost less than $400.00 per axle to have relined plus labor if you're not a do-it-yourselfer. But these linings can last upwards to 100,000+ miles.

The largest normal maintenance item difference you'll see is an Oil change, 4+ gallons on a diesel vs 8-12 quarts on a big block gasser.

There are many threads and debates about diesel vs gasoline, some rather heated. I've owned both. Both with high mileage and age, and I see little difference in overall costs in just routine maintenance. When you cross 300,000 miles and have to start replacing Injector pumps and injectors on your Detroit, Cat or Cummins Diesel - then it starts to get expensive. But even then, $3500.00 for Injectors and a pump doesn't seem bad on a 300,000+ mile service lifel... which is rougly $0.01/mile. But how many of us will see 300,000 miles on our MH's?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Definitely a debatable subject. But for starters....
Most diesel chassis MH's cost less than $400.00 per axle to have relined plus labor if you're not a do-it-yourselfer. But these linings can last upwards to 100,000+ miles.

The largest normal maintenance item difference you'll see is an Oil change, 4+ gallons on a diesel vs 8-12 quarts on a big block gasser.
Per your comment about the cost of brakes, It costs $85.00 per axle for pads for a Ford F53 chassis. Both the front and rear axles use the same pads and calipers. I just changed the pads on both axles of our motorhome at 75,000 miles. The rears had about 5% left but the fronts had 25%. The fronts could have easily exceeded 100,000 miles but since I already had the new pads and the wheels removed I decided to do both axles.

The Ford V 10 only uses 6 quarts of oil and a filter that costs about $8.00. Some of the diesels I've worked on use as much as 30 quarts of oil and filters are in the $25.00 - $30.00 range
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Definitely a debatable subject.

There are many threads and debates about diesel vs gasoline, some rather heated. I've owned both. Both with high mileage and age, and I see little difference in overall costs in just routine maintenance. When you cross 300,000 miles and have to start replacing Injector pumps and injectors on your Detroit, Cat or Cummins Diesel - then it starts to get expensive. But even then, $3500.00 for Injectors and a pump doesn't seem bad on a 300,000+ mile service lifel... which is rougly $0.01/mile. But how many of us will see 300,000 miles on our MH's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

The Ford V 10 only uses 6 quarts of oil and a filter that costs about $8.00. Some of the diesels I've worked on use as much as 30 quarts of oil and filters are in the $25.00 - $30.00 range
And how many miles can one drive between oil changes?

I feel that the difference for the oil cost ($8.00 vs $ 25.00) sound rather be a non issue to me since I plan to drive only about 10 k miles a year.

I am an engineer by training and I just can't figure out, why a diesel MH should have higher maintenance cost if compared to a similar sized gas MH.

Breaks, filters, etc. should be similar cost wise with similar equipped and sized units. OK when it comes to rebuilding the diesel engine, that coiuld cost more, but on the other hand, at that time one might need an entirely new gas engine!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
MPG

TOWING A LOAD
The 454 I pulled a c class on a high deck eq trlr from Chico to PalmSprings about 600 miles and did fine and mpg still 9-10 mpg on ,.
A Diesel..though Id like to have one,I just cant justify the price difference and I sure couldnt work on one if I needed to.
What route did you take from Chico? Seems like you had to tackle some big hills.
J
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
I have a 2000HR Admiral with the 310hp V10 and had a great time with family with this setup. I was worried about the tongue weight, so decided to get the trailer toad to take all the tongue weight off the coach. I have trailer brakes and can stop really well. I get about 6.5-7mpg without running generator, and 5.5 to 6.0 mpg when I run the generator all weekend.

Who makes that trailer set up and what is approx. cost?
J
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #37

I just looked back at my receipt.. my axle cost (parts) to reline was $65.00 per wheel including the master kit for each, so roughly $130.00 per axle to reline and rebuild them. The $400.00 figure I stated above was a quote I had for someone else to do them including labor. I can't correct the post now. But.. as stated, only doing them once every 75,000 miles or so.. most won't even keep their MH's that long.

Im only paying $20.00 for my Baldwin Oil Filter, and Rotella-T 15-40 is $10.00/gallon at Sams Club here.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Who makes that trailer set up and what is approx. cost?
J
I assume your talking about the trailer toad. New they are around $3200 and used you can find them for around $2200. Worth the piece of mind knowing coach will be ok. Trailertoad.com is the site where there is more info.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma175 View Post
We are looking to get a used MH that will pull the race trailer. With 2 bikes, tools etc. it weighs 5250 lbs. Been looking at DP's as the prices seem to be coming down to a level we might be comfortable at but most are in the early 90's and have no slide, manditory according to DW. I have thought that the Ford V10 was fine for a Class C but when you put it in a Class A with the increased weight of the coach and then adding the trailer on the back it would be too much for it or the mileage would suffer greatly.
Is anyone out there pulling 5000 lbs. with a 36-38 ft. V10 powered rig? What kind of mpg. are you getting. We leave early enough so that we can run at about 62 MPH most of the time.
I used to pull a 2001 Jeep Wrangler (about 4200 lbs) with a V10 and averaged about 6.5 mpg at 60 mph in a 36' Monaco La Palma. I used to get down to 35 - 40 MPH going up the Cajon pass with my foot in it. I now have a 40 DP with an ISL 400 Cummins pulling a 2009 Wrangler unlimited over the same pass at 50 - 55 MPH with the cruise on and average 7.2 - 7.4 mpg at 60 - 62.

The hitch on the La Palma had a 5000 towing capacity and the DP has a 10,000 tow capacity.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #40

I've been thinking about this. How about if you divide the torque rating or horsepower by the total weight. Many gas powered vehicles weigh significantly less than their diesel powered cousins. The ratio might give you an indication of how they perform.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting post;; We have had 7 Motorhomes, what works for us may not work for others.. We have at present a 38' with a cat 330 diesel pusher, it has maybe 900 Ft lbs torque , compaired to a gas Equal HP rating Gas is near 450 FT lbs, And that is what gets you up the hill. Now maintenance, I do my own and it is about the same. Gas engine oil change is 3000 miles diesel is 15000 to 20000 miles, The machanic at a freight company around town he changes at 25000 miles. He says the more you run a diesel the better the oil gets.. If you don't have a lot of blow by. I would never go back to gas. Oh while towing 65 MPH , we towed 2 blazers one at a time,, , now a Malebu, chev, it just keeps giving us 10 MPG. we are happy. Life is good;
Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
The maintenance cost issue I think is more of a DIYer vs check writer thing.
I'd guess maybe 20% of gasser owners do their own chassis service, and what, 5% of diesel owners?

Driving a big diesel bus into a frieghtliner shop is like wearing a hat with dollar signs printed on it and a jacket with a bullseye on the back!