Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
My PA (275hp v10) has been very nice to drive since I "Chipped it" Lots less downshifting, way more torque, pulls hard at a much lower rpm. I don't check my mileage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
The maintenance cost issue I think is more of a DIYer vs check writer thing.
I'd guess maybe 20% of gasser owners do their own chassis service, and what, 5% of diesel owners?

Driving a big diesel bus into a frieghtliner shop is like wearing a hat with dollar signs printed on it and a jacket with a bullseye on the back!
What Do you feel is the reason for this difference? Routine maintenance should be similar between a gasser and a diesel.

I had a diesel car (Mercedes) and a gasser from the same manufacturer, and did most of my service on them. In fact, the gasser was way more complex than the diesel!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #45

Question I just read the postings of others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
What Do you feel is the reason for this difference? Routine maintenance should be similar between a gasser and a diesel.

I had a diesel car (Mercedes) and a gasser from the same manufacturer, and did most of my service on them. In fact, the gasser was way more complex than the diesel!

If you search out the discussions about maintenance costs, some of the people who own diesel powered MH's just come up with some really big numbers for maintenance. They seem fine with it but for me my maintenance with my gasser isn't much different from a heavy duty pickup.

So according to what others say, diesel maintenance just costs more. Just the other day, someone mentioned a 22 qt oil change and was wondering where to take the oil. That seems like a big difference to me.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks

Hey guys,thanks for all the input. The DP's in the price range that we were looking at were all early to mid 90's. High end in their day but absolute junk now. After driving all over the midwest looking at garbage that photographed so well I had pretty much given up on finding anything that would do the job. Back to plan C, as in Class C. If I'm going with a V-10 gasser I don't need to be pulling the 3-5000 extra lbs. that an A weighs. It's just the 2 of us most of the time so we don't need that much space. We found a beautiful 2001 Itasca Spirit 31T with only 14230 miles on it. DW loves it, she got her slide, and the "spare bedroom" is not on the main floor.
We took it to Birmingham,AL for the AHRMA Roadrace National finals. About 1700 miles, averaging about 7.5mpg. Got as high as 7.9 pulling the trailer weighing 5250lbs. I have a Scan Gauge 2 so I can keep an eye on the RPM's and Load. On the flat I can run 62-64 mph in overdrive (4th). I'm planning on reprogramming the ECM so that it will be able to stay in OD more.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma175 View Post
Hey guys,thanks for all the input. The DP's in the price range that we were looking at were all early to mid 90's. High end in their day but absolute junk now. After driving all over the midwest looking at garbage that photographed so well I had pretty much given up on finding anything that would do the job. Back to plan C, as in Class C. If I'm going with a V-10 gasser I don't need to be pulling the 3-5000 extra lbs. that an A weighs. It's just the 2 of us most of the time so we don't need that much space. We found a beautiful 2001 Itasca Spirit 31T with only 14230 miles on it. DW loves it, she got her slide, and the "spare bedroom" is not on the main floor.
We took it to Birmingham,AL for the AHRMA Roadrace National finals. About 1700 miles, averaging about 7.5mpg. Got as high as 7.9 pulling the trailer weighing 5250lbs. I have a Scan Gauge 2 so I can keep an eye on the RPM's and Load. On the flat I can run 62-64 mph in overdrive (4th). I'm planning on reprogramming the ECM so that it will be able to stay in OD more.
Try looking here at DiMartini at the used diesels listings, they have some DP in the $70's and $90's.

http://www.reposales.com/
Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 38 ft with a V10, and have had it for 3 years. In retrospect, I wish I had purchased a diesel. Most of my travel is in mountainous terrains, and I like to be able to put my foot in it, and it move. Monarch Pass gave me my opinion. I tow a Jeep, and unless slow passage over mountains is not a problem with you...go for the diesel. In my opinion, this coach is mainly for flatland driving. If I wouldn't take a beating financially, I'd trade it for a diesel.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #49

I've towed a 5,000 lb trailer with a 24 ft Class C, a 30 ft Class A, and now a 35 ft Class A. I have had no problems with hills, but I know a desiel would be better, I just can't afford the initial cost. My main problem with towing with a Gas motorhome is finding a gas station with room to fill up...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Having read The posts; Now my point of view. I've owned them' The v10 34' MH In a careavan to Alaska. The diesels Riggs would have to wiat for the V10 to catch up;; The v10 was not towing;; Thats a fact;; say what you want just be honest;; My piont of view is Buy what you can afford, and be happy with it;; Now one interesting fact They say and it's true diesels run 250000. miles or more Before major service, {it can be more } Now the diesel At 65MPH . Turns Say 1650 RPM. The gas engine v10 at 65 mph The engine will turn Maybe 3600. Rpms. The stated figures are General and may vary from coach to coach. Hens.{ Our diesel at 65 turns 1550 Rpms.} The point I'm making is things were out . The old 460/454 were according to a engine rebuilder 50000. engines when used in the MH: So 1 diesel == 5 gas. // You can dissagree. And disscuss the findings. Thats What this posting is for'' Thanks Life is good; Also look up the HP/Rpm Torque/RPM Gas VS; diesel; Fueling is allways best done at A truckstop;; They will have gas/diesel;;
Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Having read The posts; Now my point of view. I've owned them' The v10 34' MH In a careavan to Alaska. The diesels Riggs would have to wiat for the V10 to catch up;; The v10 was not towing;; Thats a fact;; say what you want just be honest;; My piont of view is Buy what you can afford, and be happy with it;; Now one interesting fact They say and it's true diesels run 250000. miles or more Before major service, {it can be more } Now the diesel At 65MPH . Turns Say 1650 RPM. The gas engine v10 at 65 mph The engine will turn Maybe 3600. Rpms. The stated figures are General and may vary from coach to coach. Hens.{ Our diesel at 65 turns 1550 Rpms.} The point I'm making is things were out . The old 460/454 were according to a engine rebuilder 50000. engines when used in the MH: So 1 diesel == 5 gas. // You can dissagree. And disscuss the findings. Thats What this posting is for'' Thanks Life is good; Also look up the HP/Rpm Torque/RPM Gas VS; diesel; Fueling is allways best done at A truckstop;; They will have gas/diesel;;
Maybe I'm blind, but I have never noticed a seperate gas fill area at truck stops. I always have to go where the cars go...

If I'm not towing, I can gain speed up a 40 degree hill with my V10 2011 Georgetown 350. The tranny seems smoother on downshifts than my 2006 Sightseer (only 12,000 miles). I haven't towed with the new motorhome yet, but it passed the hills of Naples test... This chassis also has the 22.5" tires which I wanted when upgrading to a longer motorhome. Still wish I had the money for a desiel...
Old 10-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
If I'm not towing, I can gain speed up a 40 degree hill with my V10 2011 Georgetown 350.
I don't think that V10 can make it up a 40 degree hill.
That is a 85% grade to climb.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I don't think that V10 can make it up a 40 degree hill.
That is a 85% grade to climb.
Well, it might not be 40 degrees, but it sure seems it. It is on Route 21 going through Woodville, north of Naples. I wasn't towing anything. With nothing in tow, a V10 motorhome can move pretty good.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As soon as you went over 5000lbs you said "diesel". Most gassers are only rated for 5k, diesels more often 10k
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
As soon as you went over 5000lbs you said "diesel". Most gassers are only rated for 5k, diesels more often 10k
A lot of the 90's Diesels are rated for 5,000 lb. also.
And they will have a 5,000 lb. hitch.

Don't take for granted that a diesel MH will be 10,000 lb.
They may be some with a 10,000 lb hitch that are only rated to pull 7,500 lb. also.

When buying research, research.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
A lot of the 90's Diesels are rated for 5,000 lb. also.
And they will have a 5,000 lb. hitch.

Don't take for granted that a diesel MH will be 10,000 lb.
They may be some with a 10,000 lb hitch that are only rated to pull 7,500 lb. also.

When buying research, research.
Hense the words "most". Problem with offering advise is that we do not know all the details of the question.
Read your chassis manual for the towing capability of your rig. If you can't find the info, call a dealer or the mfg of the chassis. Personally, I would not tow anything over 5k with a gas engine. We saw a mid 90's Class "A" gasser pulling a full size Chevy Silverado 4 door 4X4 yesterday. Needless to say the MH was over it's limit. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a lawsuit in the event of an accident while pulling an over weighted load.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote